Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutenmorgen jeder!

Spacerl,
    So what do you think of Herr Dittersdorf? Exciting enough for you?? I have heard some of his sinfonias (not those) and also a little of his chamber music. But those Ovid works are considered to be his masterpiece. Very nice choice!

Pastor Ali,
    Well, one could forgive yo a bit of a struggle with Honegger, it is good that it was better than you expected, that is always a good surprise. I would love to see that clarinet concerto performed live, where the beautiful sound of the instrument came direct to the ear instead of through all the little things that make it possible at home. And the Schubert too! What a nice evening. And they say Switzerland is a cultural wasteland! Don't they?

atrerri,
    The first time I heard those works, unprepared by any foreknowledge of what they were, I was totally blown away. The last time I heard those works, totally aware of what they were, I was also totally blown away. So, either they are very nice, or I am just easy. I don't think it's just me I have not heard the lute works, except one on the radio.

King,
    So, you must have been in "hog heaven" then, eh? Beethoven AND Dvorak on one big bill. If that doesn't sell those little rascals on music, what could?

For me, it is once again to Russia, I hope to see Sorrano there. Right now, it is the Russian Easter Festival Overture by Rimsky-Korsakov. I tell you guys, if you love emotion stirring music, this is the place to get it.

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Amalie;
      I bought a Chandos recording of Respighi's music a few years ago that has the Autumn Poem , Concerto Gregoriano and Ballata dell Gnomidi. It is the only recording of the Autumn Poem I have ever heard so I have nothing to compare it to, but I do like it. It is on the Chandos label and the the catalog Number is CHAN 9232.

Spacerl;
      The Neil Buterworth book is very informative and concise. It dose justice to Dvorak without getting into 7 or 8 hundred pages. By the way Dover has a whole series of books on composers that are of value if you are interested in composer Bios.

I am heading out now with Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2 in tow. Good listening in the car.

Steve

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 09-22-2004).]

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 09-22-2004).]

Comment

Alas, but no Russian music this morning. While I was hardly awake it seems I heard some Albinoni but am not sure it was him. But it was pleasant to wake up to.

Comment

King,
          I am looking forward to the Butterworth /Dvorak.
          I'm reading the last chapter of Schubert and His Vienna and I have the dreadfull feeling that poor Schubert is about to die leaving behind him a stack of unfinished work.
          Listening now to Schubert's 4 Impromptus
          D 935.
          Gorgeous.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Gurn Neopomuk Blanstonwig,
            Here is what Denby Richards has to say about the Ditter's Symphonies.
            "the most advanced of all the Symphonies(the one in A major)is coupled with a quite mischievous scoring technique.The finales,are very unusual,often combining a very fast section with a graceful minuet. Moving from poignant sadness to rustic horn calls ,and classical fugues to graceful trios ,the overwhelming impression of this music is one of generous warmth and affection demanding considerable virtuosity in performance."

I've listened a couple of times now .It's growing on me.
            spacerl
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spaceray:
              [B] Gurn Nepomuk Blanstonwig,

Gurn Nepomuk Blanstonwig,
              A great name of true nobility!..

Listening choices this evening:

Hummel: Mass in D major 0p.111
              and Mass in Bb major, 0p.77
              Collegium Musicum 90
              Richard Hickox, cond.

It amazes me that such fine works as these have been rather neglected. They have a joyful and energetic flow. I enjoyed them very much.

Thomas Tallis: Spem in Alium
              Chapelle du Roi
              Alistair Dixon (cond.)

The greatest piece of English late Renaissance music every written! There just are not enough superlatives to describe it.

Antonio Vivaldi:
              Concerto in Eb major, RV257
              Concerto in Bb major, RV376
              Concerto in D- major, RV211

Played by baroque violinist
              Giuliano Carmignola

Venice Baroque Orchestra

Brilliant!

------------------
              ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-22-2004).]
              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Oh du lieber Augustin...
                'Freundin! Ich komm mit der Zither'
                W.A.M.

Comment

Discovering japanese music today (Naxos Japanese Classics):

Kosçak Yamada (1886-1965): Overture in D major, Symphony in F major (triumph and peace), symphonic poem "the dark gate", Symphonic poem "madara no hana".

Qunihico Hashimoto (1904-1949), Symphony n. 1 in D major and Symphonic suite: Heavenly maiden and fisherman.

Now I'm listening Yamada's triumph and peace, the first symphony ever composed by a japanese, given its name to the outbreak of world war I and reflecting its title name in the contrast and union of triumphant hymn to victory and prayer for peace. A great work.

Comment

A French Flourish greets the morning:

Francois Francoeur (1698-1787)
                    Symphony le du Festin Royal de Mgr le comte d'Artois. [1773].
                    Ensemble Stradivaria
                    Daniel Cuiller, director.

Joseph Haydn:
                    Quartet for strings 0p. 33, G major, " How-do-you-do"
                    A charming and delightful piece!

Bach:
                    Wedding Cantata, Bwv 197, part 1
                    Rene Jacobs (alto)
                    Harry van der Kamp (bass)
                    Hanover Boys Choir.

------------------

Comment

Gurn Nepomuk Blanstonwig, at your service,

atserri,
                      You are a braver person that I am! ALthough I must say, you make it sound intriguing. I shall keep my eyes open for that disk.

Amalie,
                      And now, from Japan to France. That sounds quite a oddity. How would you characterise it, Baroque, Galant, Classical, or just plain perverse French?! Well, FJH's Op 33 was the single great breakthrough in the string quartet style, written after a 10 year absence from the arena of Quartetting. All 6 works are delightful, and the G major is so typical of Haydn from that point on that it almost seems like a character piece. Super!

For me, it is Symphony in G major - WQ 183 #1 - CPE Bach. The obbligatto flute that runs through these pieces reminds you that he was employed by that Royal flautist himself, Frederick the Great. I don't know, but strongly suspect, that he wrote them so that Fred could sit in with the guys of an evening. Cool.

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
                        Discovering japanese music today (Naxos Japanese Classics):

Kosçak Yamada (1886-1965): Overture in D major, Symphony in F major (triumph and peace), symphonic poem "the dark gate", Symphonic poem "madara no hana".

Qunihico Hashimoto (1904-1949), Symphony n. 1 in D major and Symphonic suite: Heavenly maiden and fisherman.

Now I'm listening Yamada's triumph and peace, the first symphony ever composed by a japanese, given its name to the outbreak of world war I and reflecting its title name in the contrast and union of triumphant hymn to victory and prayer for peace. A great work.

I am curious about this! Would you consider the music to be more Eastern than Western and would you consider it to be more 20th Century than 19th? Sounds intriguing!

This morning caught (on the radio) a program that played a single movement from several Russian (yeah!) composers' Symphony No. 6. Included were Tchaikowsky, Shostakovich, and Glazanov. I was not aware of Glazanov being a symphonic writer. Good music!

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                          Joy,
                          I'm still waiting for the Neil Butterworth
                          book on Dvorak ,it must have been lost or stolen from the library,but I'll look for "Dvorak in America"
                          Sounds just the thing.
                          Did you ever look for "The Changing Image of Beethoven" By Texas based history of art professor Allesandra Comini .I think you would enjoy this.

Dear Muriel, I investigated our library about this book and they do have it!! I will be checking it out next week. Sounds interesting. Thanks!
                          This morning it's the wonderful Hungarian Fantasy for Piano & Orchestra by Liszt
                          with Conductor Roberto Abbado and the Bamberg Symphony Orchestra with Gerhard Oppitz, piano. Love this piece! Also
                          heard "Paris" Quartet No. 2 (Concerto Secondo)by Georg Philipp Telemann via radio. I'm sure there will be a Beethoven in the mix by this afternoon.

------------------
                          'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 09-23-2004).]
                          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

A French Flourish greets the morning:

Francois Francoeur (1698-1787)
                            Symphony le du Festin Royal de Mgr le comte d'Artois. [1773].
                            Ensemble Stradivaria
                            Daniel Cuiller, director.

Joseph Haydn:
                            Quartet for strings 0p. 33, G major, " How-do-you-do"
                            A charming and delightful piece!

Bach:
                            Wedding Cantata, Bwv 197, part 1
                            Rene Jacobs (alto)
                            Harry van der Kamp (bass)
                            Hanover Boys Choir.

For me it's a liszt and chopin day,
                            First of all the liszt cd of claudio Arrau containing the sonata in b minor, the benediction de dieu dans la solitude, waldesrauchsen and gnomenreichen And vallée d'Obermann

Further on it will be chopin nocturnes on a 1842 pleyel and 1837 érard performed by bart van oort and too finish beethovens eroica by the staatskappelle dresden under leaderschip of herbert Blomstedt..

Nice evening it'll be then,

Regards,
                            Ruud

------------------
                            Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

This afternoon it's Handel on tap. His Oboe Concertos Nos. 1,2&3. Baroque at it's finest. I can hear why Beethoven thought highly of the music of Handel. It's to bad that most of his vocal music lay at rest in obscurity. The brilliance of his orchestration in a lot of his works would lead you to believe that he was right at the edge at the beginning of the classical period. Rococo maybe???

Comment

Another unforgettable evening spent with Alfred Brendel performing Beethoven's Piano Concerto No.3

At the Opening Concert of the Philharmonia Orchestra's 2004/05 Royal Festival Hall Season. A concert to celebrate the 75th birthday of Maestro Christoph von Dohnanyi.

It is truly wonderful to be in the presence of such a great genius such as Brendel, not only is Brendel the greatest exponent of Beehoven's work, he is an artist in his own right. There is nothing like a world class performance of Beethoven's works.
                                They are so inexpressibly great!
                                My husband was so overwhelmed that he lost his power of speech for a change.

The concert began with a piece by Gyorgy Kurtag, Stele, 0p.33 , composed 1994. (Stele is pronounced - Steely).

and finished up with Richard Strauss
                                Ein Heldenleben, tone poem, 0p.40

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-24-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                                X