No announcement yet.

What are you listening to now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mozart symphonies nº 40 & 41 (KV 550 & KV 551) have been the only rewarding elements in an awful morning at courts (I'm a lawyer, you know, and clients sometimes lie to you until they face the judge....).

This evening I find comfort, peace and motivation in Gould's interpretation of Beethoven's Piano Sonatas no. 24 (op.78 "a therese") and no. 29 (op. 106 "hammerklavier"). Great playing for someone who wrote to a representative of his discographic: "Did my orchestral-overview, no-time-for-piano-conceits attitude really tie these four diverse structures together and make them one big work? Not really. There are some moments that work, I think, and some that don't -which, come to think of it, was more or less Beethoven's score too- but at least I've tried it once and won't have to bother my head about it again until 2027". It was recorded for the beethoven bicentennial anniversary on 1970.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Amalie:
      [B] ========

Hi Spacewig,
      Seek no further, the CD's to delight your heart are right here - Julia Gooding has a beautiful voice !
      I would love to get them myself! especially the ' Songs of Moses'
      which includes countertenor, Robin Blaze.
      http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/co...r&showcovers=1

Yes, the Liszt Mephisto is great stuff!
      Funny you should mention Gil Shaham playing that piece on the violin.
      I have been listening just this afternoon to Gil Shaham playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons, with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. Excellent, love it! Nice chap and good looking too, Ah well!
      So, Gurnwig recommended him to you, he sure has good taste!

Also coming up later some sonatas from Ludwig!
      Sonata in D, 0p.10 no.3
      Sonata in C, 0p.53 'Waldstein'
      Steven Osborne (piano)

------------------
      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-21-2004).]
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Gurn; so you fell asleep listening to your opera? You MUST have been sleepy! Give Carmen a chance as suggested by Spacerl, really nice music!

Amalie; nice Beethoven's sonata choices!Interesting tidbit about composer Jeremiah Clarke, you see what a beautiful lady can do!

Spacrl; love the nickname "Gurnerator"! Very good! Here's a couple of suggestions of Dvorak books you might be interested in, our library carries them, maybe yours does too. "Dvorak and his world"
        edited by Michael Beckerman, Pub.: Princeton, N.J.; "Dvorak, His Life and Times" by Neil Butterworth, Pub.: Neptune City, N.J.; and "Dvorak in America" (1892-1895) by John C. Tibbetts, Pub.: Portand Ore.

For me it was Beethoven's Symphony #7 Vienna Philharmonic and Carlos Kleiber, conductor. If that doesn't get you moving I don't know what will! Also his Coriolan overture Opus 60, always a pleasure, and tonight via radio a real treat, an hour of Beethoven with his Trio in Bb Opus 11 and his Symphony #4 conducted by Kurt Masur plus some comments thrown in about the man. Should be interesting!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 09-20-2004).]

Comment

Heaven, I should go to bed, 2:26am!

Divertimento #1 KV.136 W.A.M.

Comment

Today it's Vivaldi's La Stravaganza series of 12 concertos, commissioned by a former pupil and venetian noble, Vettor Delfino to demonstrate his technical virtuosity, displaying both violin pyrotechnics and lyrical slow movements. Was published in Amsterdam in the late 1712 or 1713, and followed L'estro armonico.

Comment

A wonderful musical journey this morning!

Wonders never cease with Schubert -

Listening to the beautiful liquid cascading notes of Schubert's - Impromtu no.4 Ab,
              played on a (Clementi square piano of 1823)
              by Peter Katin.
              Here is an interesting article I looked up about the square piano - http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/athene/schubert.htm

Also, Schubert's German Dances, with 7 trios and coda for string quartet. D90
              Festsival Strings of Lucerne.
              Ottorino Respighi:
              Poema Autunnale, performed by the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, and the very noteworthy, Viktor Simcisko (violin)
              Definately a lovely warm autumnal feel to this piece. I loved this on first hearing!
              Next one for my shopping basket! Gurn auch?
              Respighi: Fontane di Roma -Symphonic Poem
              Orchestra dell'Accademia di Santa Cecilia.
              Daniele Gatti cond.
              An excellent performance!
              Liszt: Mazeppa
              Budapest Festival Orchestra/Ivan Fischer
              Lord Byron was the inspiration behind this piece.

------------------

Comment

Amalie,
                It's not to often the Respighi's name pops up on this site. I am happy to see that you enjoy his music. His triptych, The Pines of Rome, The Fountains of Rome and Roman Festivals are a super treat in orchestration. I also find his Ancient Airs and Dances (3 Suites) very enyoyable.
                In the Pines of Rome he really captures the "ghosts " of the Roman legions coming down the Appian Way. A 20th century composer well worth listening to.
                This morning it's Carlos Baguer, the so called Spanish Haydn, 4 of his symphonies. He is another composer who died young, just 40 years old.
                [This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 09-21-2004).]

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 09-21-2004).]

Comment

A lovely morning it is! Amalie: interesting read about the square piano. The article stated that "this instrument has a fullness of tone superior to the instrmentns of the 1790's", did you find this to be so? How did it sound to you?

For me today it's been Haydn's Symphony #85 "The Queen" Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra
                  and Ton Koopman, conductor. Also later Beethoven's Piano Sonata #15 Pastoral; and some Smetana, The Moldau always a pleasure.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                    Gurn; so you fell asleep listening to your opera? You MUST have been sleepy! Give Carmen a chance as suggested by Spacerl, really nice music!

Spacrl; love the nickname "Gurnerator"! Very good! Here's a couple of suggestions of Dvorak books you might be interested in, our library carries them, maybe yours does too. "Dvorak and his world"
                    edited by Michael Beckerman, Pub.: Princeton, N.J.; "Dvorak, His Life and Times" by Neil Butterworth, Pub.: Neptune City, N.J.; and "Dvorak in America" (1892-1895) by John C. Tibbetts, Pub.: Portand Ore.
                    Joy,
                    I'm still waiting for the Neil Butterworth
                    book on Dvorak ,it must have been lost or stolen from the library,but I'll look for "Dvorak in America"
                    Sounds just the thing.
                    Did you ever look for "The Changing Image of Beethoven" By Texas based history of art professor Allesandra Comini .I think you would enjoy this.

I'm not sure how many wild horses it would take to get Gurn to listen to a French opera,I guess we'll be lucky if he gets through "Figero" unscathed.We need to find him an opera with a lot of violin solos in it.
                    Spacerl von Wig

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Amalie:
                      [b]
                      Originally posted by King Stephen:
                      Amalie,
                      It's not to often the Respighi's name pops up on this site. I am happy to see that you enjoy his music. His triptych, The Pines of Rome, The Fountains of Rome and Roman Festivals are a super treat in orchestration. I also find his Ancient Airs and Dances (3 Suites) very enyoyable.
                      In the Pines of Rome he really captures the "ghosts " of the Roman legions coming down the Appian Way. A 20th century composer well worth listening to.

King
                      I agree with what you say. Respighi was one of the greatest masters of orchestration of the 20th century and one of the cleverest. I have heard The Trittico Botticelliano you refer to is a brilliant work that links classical and Christian themes in musical terms based on the famous painting by Botticelli. The Pines of Rome as you say is also a fabulous work and so powerful it is as though you see the legions marching. My husband loves these pieces.
                      A really enjoyed the Poema Autunnale, Respighi manages to convey the smell and feels of the seasons and can conjour up colour and mood and in my opinion is even better at this than Ravel and Debussy.

Can you recommend a good recording of the
                      Poema Autunnale, as I would like to listen to other interpretations before buying?

------------------

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joy:
                        [B]A lovely morning it is! Amalie: interesting read about the square piano. The article stated that "this instrument has a fullness of tone superior to the instrmentns of the 1790's", did you find this to be so? How did it sound to you?

Joy,
                        Yes, it was interesting to hear that lovely Schubert piece played on the 'square piano' I very much enjoyed it! Though I don't know much about this type of piano I liked the tonal quality, I guess it is as close as we can get to the sounds of the time.
                        Perhaps Peter will be able to enlighten us more about the square piano.

Keeping it in the family with -
                        Beethoven:
                        Rondo in G major Wo0 41
                        Yehudi Menuhin (violin)
                        Hephzibah Menuhin (piano)
                        Kreisler:
                        Rondino on a theme of Beethoven
                        Fritz Kreisler (violin)
                        Carl Lamson (piano)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-21-2004).]

Comment

Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf Symphony in C major from his 6 Symphonies after Ovids Metamorphoses. From a 1987 Musical Heritage Society disc played by Cantilena ,with Adrian Shepard conducting.
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Right back from a concert evening by the local Orchestra:
                            Arthur Honegger - Pastorale d'Eté, Poème symphonique
                            W.A. Mozart - Concert for Clarinet and Orchestra KV.622 (Solist: Dimitri Askenazy)
                            Franz Schubert - Symphony in C-Dur 'The Great'

I feared to get in struggle with Honegger, but really, it was nice. The one next to me said it was nice, but boring... KV.622... what beautiful Clarinet playing! loved it and one hour of Schubert's great Symphony at last, which was bombastic!!! My gosh, where is the 'Gasteiner' Symphony? lost in the archives of the 'Wiener Musikfreunde'? Unbelievable

And now W.A. Mozart's 17 Church Sonatas for Violin and Orchestra. The label is program - Brilliant.

Swiss news by
                            pastrl

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 09-21-2004).]

Comment

Today it will be Bach: His remarkable sonatas & partitas for solo violin played by Shlomo Mintz:

Sonata no. 1 in G minor BWV 1001
                              Partita no. 1 in B minor BWV 1002
                              Sonata no. 2 in A minor BWV 1003
                              Partita no. 2 in D minor BWV 1004
                              Sonata no. 3 in C major BWV 1005
                              Partita no. 3 in E major BWV 1006

He's such a master in creating the polyphonic effect in unaccompanied string instruments... sometimes it's even exhausting because you want to pay so much attention to it! Next on the list are the lute suits has anyone listened to them?

Comment

My dear good friends in music, last night the New York Philharmonic opened it's 2004 season. On the program were two works, the Beethoven Vioin Concerto with the Russian violist Maxim Vengerov and the Dvorak Symphony No.9 "From the New World". Lorin Maazel conducted both works. The concert was aired on Public Television and I managed to video tape it. It was a superb concert with both works being performed admirably. It is being repeated tonight on the New Hamshire Public TV station and I intend to record it again.(Can't have to many copies of a good thing)I will use a copy in my school program.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X