Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Rod,
    Well, even though you didn't share what you are listening to now, we still are delighted to have you join us. Bring us some nice listening ideas.

Well my taste in music is rather predictable to anybody who knows me, anything by Beethoven or Handel! But since you ask today in my Walkman, the 5th and 6th Symphonies by the Hanover Band - the 6th in particular is excellent and you will be hearing it here in due course.

For other ideas go to my handel site, you get free music there too if you join, all first class recordings.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Gurn: The 6th Symphony, great choice. You gave me a taste for it and I shall have to listen to it again! Yesterday it was the mighty 9th! (and it's not even Sunday, I know but I had a yearning for it. Whew! What a masterpiece. Takes my breath away, literally)!! Today the Marche Slave Op 31 by Tchaikovsky conducotrDaniel Barenboim and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra via radio. Very good recording of it! Also Bach's Orchestral Suite #4, very nice. Later Beethoven's Piano Sonata #31!

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

WAYLTN?
        'Une soiree chez les Jacquin'

Comment

Rod,
          Yes, but I didn't want to presume, not polite. I have that Hanover/Goodman 9th, it is marvelous. How does the rest of the cycle hold up? One thing I like in the 9th is that they accurately move on at a brisk pace, but parts like the Turkish March in the last movement don't ever sound rushed, like happens in some other versions (Harnoncourt leaps to mind here). Definitely a good band. I got the idea for hunting them up from you quite some time ago, and I have like their Complete Schubert Symphonies set, and some of their Haydns. They really are quite special, IMHO.

Joy,
          Yes, when I was picking the day's listening, I couldn't resist that disk, it has both of the F major works on it and I do love the 8th. Which version of the "Ode to You" did you listen to? Yes, heavy listening in mid-week! Hey, I have that same version of Marche Slave. You are right, an excellent recording, it has a pretty fine 1812 Overture on it too. So you also havce the rest of the day well lined out too. Enjoy!

Pastrl,
          Ah, great choice! Is Wolfrl making an ass of himself? it is good for him!

For me, it is the Serenade in A major - #2 - Op 16 - the 4 Hand Piano arrangement by Brahms. Mathies & Köhn. Probably it is just my perverted taste, but I have found that piano arrangements of orchestral works seem more pleasing that the originals (except fdor B's symphonies, of course!)

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

a log and stick and a hollow reed with holes

[/B]
            My dear boy,
            They attached some strings to that stick
            and played upon it with a bit of catgut and that was called the viol.
            You like viols don't you?
            You have never heard this music or you would not sport such a cavilier attitude toward it.
            BTW I found the perfect opera for you from the pen of the violinist and composer Jeno Hubay "The Violin Maker of Cremona" (1894)
            Do you know it?
            spacerl
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Rod,
              Yes, but I didn't want to presume, not polite. I have that Hanover/Goodman 9th, it is marvelous. How does the rest of the cycle hold up? One thing I like in the 9th is that they accurately move on at a brisk pace, but parts like the Turkish March in the last movement don't ever sound rushed, like happens in some other versions (Harnoncourt leaps to mind here). Definitely a good band. I got the idea for hunting them up from you quite some time ago, and I have like their Complete Schubert Symphonies set, and some of their Haydns. They really are quite special, IMHO.

I agree about the slowness of the march in the Ode, this is a common mistake - though Beehtoven's own metronome mark for this is very slow indeed an it is generally assumed that this mark is an error and not Beethoven's true indication.

I can recommend the set overall, though it is deleted now i think, I can't find it anywhere. But excellent value if you can find the set with the Missa and the overtures too all in one box.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Geratlas
                The 'Creatures of Prometheus' are working very well to me. Though it is the only recording I know and I listened too less to it, so I do it now. Can't find it's too dancy, but I come from Wolferl's Dances and Minuets...

Gurn
                Yes the Figaro Overture is an impressive piece of music, though I can't name a favorite on this disk - they are just all so gooooood!
                Later I have a date with Jacquin, I already miss that Clarinet

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                  The 'Creatures of Prometheus' are working very well to me. Though it is the only recording I know and I listened too less to it, so I do it now. Can't find it's too dancy, but I come from Wolferl's Dances and Minuets...
                  I can see what you mean, Pastorali. One might perceive this to be more of 'display' music than ballet music I believe, and surely, isn't this what all stage works are about. (Ought to be, in my opinion.) Anyway, I wouldn't do well, trying to dance to it.
                  I rarely have no need to be fussy about different recordings, and less so in this case with the Naxos recording. At all rates it is a 'good' one, and I personally care for it. It is comprehensible and does not miss any mark. However it could at best be little clearer (like more crisp in sound).
                  PS. Most contemporary ballet music that I have heard enough to compare with LvB's is the 2 nos. from Schubert's 'Rosamunde', where one find quite more relaxed paces.DS
                  Geratlas,Welcome back, prodigal son.
                  What on Earth have I done to deserve this!?
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  For once, I am back! And I also have been listening to great musiC:
                  Much BRAHMS: Alto Rhapsody; Orchestral Variations, Op.56
                  (last evening his Violin Concerto and 28 Paganini Piano Variations.)
                  LvB. 1st half or so of the IMmEnSE(!) Diabelli Variations (LvB referred to them as 'Veränderungen(~alterings).
                  Then DVORAK: Eighth Symphony, where I adore the 3rd mt. trio. It is lovely...
                  Now - as writing and sending -
                  LvB's WELLINGTON'S VICTORY IN THE BATTLE OF VITTORIA. A must.
                  __________________________________________________ _____________________so long...

[This message has been edited by Geratlas (edited 09-29-2004).]

Comment

Joy,
                    Yes, when I was picking the day's listening, I couldn't resist that disk, it has both of the F major works on it and I do love the 8th. Which version of the "Ode to You" did you listen to? Yes, heavy listening in mid-week! Hey, I have that same version of Marche Slave. You are right, an excellent recording, it has a pretty fine 1812 Overture on it too. So you also havce the rest of the day well lined out too. Enjoy!

Well, I was in the middle of my educational tapes of Beethoven's 9th Symphony and had to listen to it right then and there. So I thought I would drag out my video cassette of the Leonard Bernstein version from 1989 when they tore the Berlin wall down. I think it's an excellent version. He really brought out the notes and instruments and just the right tempi too. I don't like it rushed!
                    Tonight (if I find the time) it may be Beethoven's 8th Symphony!

------------------

Comment

Spacerl,
                      Oh, I was thinking more of the hollow log being beat with a stick as a drum. They did that right up to 1700, didn't they? I could have sworn that Monteverdi had something like "oak log obbligatto" in one of his operas OTOH, I HAVE heard of Hubay, a violinist himself and composer for the violin. He composed the OTHER Carmen Fantasy, the nice one with the Toreador Song incorporated in it. What are the odds that opera will be on "Live From the Met" this week?

Rod, Yea, I think there is a bigger variety of tempi in that part of the 9th than in any other one. The problem with playing it at the right tempo is that it seems that maintaining ensemble must be difficult, as few are able to do it!! The Hanovers hang in there nicely though, and with good articulation comes the sense that the tempo is right. I will scout around on eBay, I have found all sorts of amazing things there.

Pastrl,
                      Well, Amadé was known for his overturen, oddly since it was his habit to put them off right til the last minute. I guess he had them written in his head already, but for example Don Giovanni was premiered while being sight read by the Prague Symphony because the parts arrived a few minutes before curtain. But a fairly good work anyway!

GuErRilla,
                      Oh, you just come and make a quick strike then "hey, presto" it's gone for now! So good listenings. Who was playing those lovely Diabelli's? Also, your opinion of the Dvorak, you think the 8th is the best of his symphonies? I do, followed by the 7th. And Wellington's Victory... I like to listen, but not too often, strange piece of work.

Joy,
                      Cool, I never saw the tape, but I have heard the CD, and I must say it is better than I had expected it to be given the "live" thing, and the venue and all. Not so sure about changing the lyric either, but I guess B may have agreed with it. No, that is one thing about Lennie, he is not going to rush it! My recording of him with VPO (1980) is only exceeded by Bohm with them a year or so later, and I think Bohm actually passed away on the podium and left them sort of waiting for the beat

For me, it is the Theme & Variations for Fortepiano & Orchestra in F major - Op 97 - J. N. Hummel - London Mozart Players / Shelley. The sort of thing that Mozart used as a last movement for some things, but here a standalone work. Perhaps a precursor of such solo & piano T & V works as the Paganini Variations et al.

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Another disc of Antonio Rosetti's compositions. Four more of his symphonies. Delightful music. What a time for music 1750 - 1850.

Comment

Gurn,
                          Do you have a recording of the violin solo from Hubay's"Violinmaker of Cremona"I have read that it's quite wonderful.

I'm listening to Tafelmusik with Anner Bylsma (on log with stick) playing Boccherini's Octet(Notturno) in G major OP38
                          no.4 G521(with additional contrabasso)
                          There are a couple of Concerto's for cello, a sinfonia and an overture on here too.
                          Not a sign of that Minuetto(con un poco di moto).
                          Great cd!
                          spacerl
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Good listening to all this sunny morning! I shall listen to Mozart's Magic Flute in honour of this day in 1791 he conducted the 1st performance of this opera. This morning it was Vivaldi's Violin Concerto in D conducted by Andrea Marcon and the Baroque Orchestra of Venice with Giuliano Carmignola, violin. What a pleasant way to wake up this morning! Nice music especially the 3rd movement. After that on radio it was Bach's Prelude and Fugue in E-Flat. Later Liszt's La Campanella, nice piece of work, and on NPR tonight Beethoven's Violin Sonata Opus 3 #3.

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 09-30-2004).]

Comment

It's exactly 12 hours ago (6am) I stood up and turned the radio on: LvB - Symphony #7 the third movement! Great, that saved my day and after hours of music now, this is still my moment of the day! di-di-didl-di-didl-di-didl-di-du... (repeat...) my singing in the bath

WAYLTN?: To the birds and children before the window...

Comment

Piano Transcription of op.92 - Symphony #7 by F. Liszt

Comment

Working...
                                X