Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now ?

Good morning all

Time for another round of our very popular daily diet of the Classics.

Starting off this am. with a couple of pieces from
    COUPERIN: Rondeau - Le Tic-toc-choc ( or Les Maillotins) , ordre no. 18
    Rondeau - Les Barricades mysterieuses.
    Colin Tilney (harpsichord)

PURCELL: Aria, See where repenting Celia Lyes, Z603/10, (The Married Beau or the curious Impertinent).
    Nancy Argent (soprano)
    CBC Vancouver Orchestra

MENDELSSOHN: Sextet in D 0p. 110
    A lovely piece composed when he was just a lad of 15!

- coming up later

MENDELSSOHN: Hear ye, Isreal, be not afriad,
    Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Chorus

BACH: Prelude & Fugue in F, BWV 856
    Michael Levines (piano)

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-17-2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Originally posted by Amalie:
    Good morning all

PURCELL: Aria, See where repenting Celia Lyes, Z603/10, (The Married Beau or the curious Impertinent).
    Nancy Argent (soprano)
    CBC Vancouver Orchestra

- coming up later

Michael Levines (piano)

quite the mixed programme you have..lovely,but what's the meaning of le tic toc choc??did HE give these funnie nicknames?

For me it's been mussorgsky's night on a bald mountain with the orchestration of rimsky korsakov, I think korsakov did quite an admirable effort here but I've heard people on this forum preferring the original...what precisely IS this original *I don't know what it consists of* and why is it better..
    Today it will be:
    jamming on the grand piano on school *really looking forward on that *
    3 sonata's op.5 performed on klavichord by pieter jan belder by Johann Christian bach.
    Dvorak's slavic danses *some of them for piano duet* bruchs violinconcerto nr.1 in G minor and some chopin waltzes and/or polonaises performed by martijn van der hoek/folke nauta
    Regards,
    Ruud

------------------
    Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

This morning will be Beethoven's violin sonatas nos. 1, 2, 3 & 6 (Menuhin / Kentner). I'm still deciding this evening programme

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
        quite the mixed programme you have..lovely,but what's the meaning of le tic toc choc??did HE give these funnie nicknames?

For me it's been mussorgsky's night on a bald mountain with the orchestration of rimsky korsakov, I think korsakov did quite an admirable effort here but I've heard people on this forum preferring the original...what precisely IS this original *I don't know what it consists of* and why is it better..

The original was considered by Rimsky-Korsakov to be too rough and choppy for the listeners. And he may have been right in his time. Today, fortunately, we have the original which I believe came from one of his incomplete operas (I would give you the name but I cannot spell it from memory or come close). It is, indeed, much rougher and I think more exciting. I think your best bet is to listen to it yourself and see what you think.

Today it was the suite from Porgie and Bess that woke me up. I'm not a jazz fan, but I can enjoy an occasional side trip there.

Comment

I have been listening to Beethoven's violin concerto; the soloist is Yehudi Menuhin. I am going to a concert tomorrow night where they are playing this piece (the soloist will be Midori), as well as a violin concerto by J.S. Bach (I believe Pinchas Zuckerman is playing, but I'm not positive)and Beethoven's 7th symphony! I am very excited, particularly about the symphony, because I love Beethoven's symphonies in general, and this one in particular.

Comment

Sounds like good listening for all this morning. For me today it's Brahms "Variations on a Theme by Haydn"; Bach's Orchestral Suite #2 in b; and Beethoven's "Triple Concerto" in C Op 56 with conductor Daniel Barenboim and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra with Itzhak Perlman, violin; Yo-Yo Ma, cello;
            and Daniel Barenboim, piano all via radio.

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ruudp:
              [B] quite the mixed programme you have..lovely,but what's the meaning of le tic toc choc??did HE give these funnie nicknames?

I'm not very good at translating French Ruud, but I think 'Le tic toc choc' means 'fake shock'. here is a link for you to listen to the French Harpsichord, albeit a small portion. The piece really sounds better that this little clip.
              http://members.aol.com/realmac/hrpschrd.htm

I have been listening to lovely pieces from Beethoven: Rondeau in G major Wo0 41.
              Variations in F major on 'Se Voul Ballare' (Mozart) Wo0 40

and superb highlights from Mozart's 'Don Giovanni'

Academy of St. Martin in the Fields
              Ambrosian Opera Chorus
              under Sir Neville Marriner.

Sounds like a fantastic day at school for you Ruud, tell us all about it!

(Liszt on his way)

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                Good morning all

Nancy Argent (soprano)
                CBC Vancouver Orchestra

- coming up later

Michael Levines (piano)

Amalie,
                You are listening to some music from my neck of the woods ,Colin Tilney lives just up the street.Now this is a fella with more than one keyboard instrument in the drawing room.
                And if I may, I'll just mention that your Purcell singer is Nancy Argenta,I'm sure it was just a typing slip,but isn't she a brilliant singer?

Now playing...Beethoven String Quartet in C Sharp minor,opus131. I listened to this last night on the radio,coming from The Banff International String Quartet Competition, www.banffcentre.ca
                spacerl
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                  Amalie,
                  You are listening to some music from my neck of the woods ,Colin Tilney lives just up the street.Now this is a fella with more than one keyboard instrument in the drawing room.
                  And if I may, I'll just mention that your Purcell singer is Nancy Argenta,I'm sure it was just a typing slip,but isn't she a brilliant singer?

Now playing...Beethoven String Quartet in C Sharp minor,opus131. I listened to this last night on the radio,coming from The Banff International String Quartet Competition, www.banffcentre.ca
                  spacerl
                  Quite right Spacerl, that was a typo!
                  sorry I can't stop, I am off out with the girls for the evening, trust me, I'll stay sober!

------------------

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Amalie:
                    [b]
                    Originally posted by ruudp:

I'm not very good at translating French Ruud, but I think 'Le tic toc choc' means 'fake shock'. here is a link for you to listen to the French Harpsichord, albeit a small portion. The piece really sounds better that this little clip.
                    http://members.aol.com/realmac/hrpschrd.htm

I have been listening to lovely pieces from Beethoven: Rondeau in G major Wo0 41.
                    Variations in F major on 'Se Voul Ballare' (Mozart) Wo0 40

and superb highlights from Mozart's 'Don Giovanni'

Academy of St. Martin in the Fields
                    Ambrosian Opera Chorus
                    under Sir Neville Marriner.

Sounds like a fantastic day at school for you Ruud, tell us all about it!

(Liszt on his way)
                    DARN MY RECKLESSNESS..sorry for this beginning but my whole post vanished because I simply overlooked too typ in my password...attempt two..

Amalie my day at school was GREAT the jamming session went perfectly,
                    I started out with clementi's sonatina op.36 nr.3 too warm me fingers and then performed chopins walse in aminor brown index 150..
                    I then improvised before 2 schoolfriends on different things..
                    I had too depict winter *for which I chose skating people and a blizzard* the clef was A major and minor mixed...Then they asked me too depict silence...at first I wanted too be quiet for a couple of minutes and then say that's it, but that didn't seem so funny for them soo I performed a slow piece in F major which ran on smoothly..
                    The last piece I performed was technically very difficult and demanded a lot of imagination..
                    The main thing was too depict a thoroughly unpleasant lad...it's a boy I don't know closely but who in his ways how he talks,walks and looks down on people is the summit of arrogance *I hope thatm it's correct english*

The title of the piece is Pierrots dance * one of the 2 friends and I came up with that*
                    The title itself is a paradox because *If I'm right* pierrot is a sad clown who doesn't dance..
                    The piece is set in a-b form in which the a form is the depiction of that arrogant person *and thus explaining why pierrot IOHO was/is soo sad* and the b form is the actual dance because in the b part the boy in the a part has vanished..the a part is in F minor and has a very rythmical core *which I am afraid I stole from le sacre du printemps* and is according too my friend both compelling and horrofying..the b part starts out with a very well known circus theme..which I set in C major and which starts with chromatical passages downwards...glissando's trills and the main theme give the b part a festive character however the ending consists of 2 Chords..A c major chord and a F minor chord thus ending in minor...

I hope I haven't bored you people too much but once I start talking it's hard too stop...

Listening then:
                    the lovely link thou gavet me * the one lack I find disturbing in English is the lack of some formality for instance the german Du or Sie and dutch Jij en U both meaning you but the other word is used too define respect therefor I chose thou instead of you*
                    Beethoven's 5th
                    Some polonaises by chopin performed by folke nauta and some handel works plucked from a certain händel forum ..

Best regards,
                    Ruud

------------------
                    Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Hi folks
                      I got today a new Naxos disk:
                      L.v. Beethoven - The Creatures of Prometheus op.43 Nobody will be surprised, if I start listening to it right now...

Gurn
                      "the clarinet sounds better there than even B's own piano version." Yes it's the same disk we're talking about. KV.622 is also a favorite Concerto of mine and this version is only dreamable. On op.61b I can't agree with you, because it's out of B's hands, this version of it is 'only' a interpretation, I like it very much though.
                      cheers!

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 09-17-2004).]

Comment

The Maestro's Sonata No 17 "Tempest" Artur Scnabel recorded in 1934
                        Love from London

Comment

Obviously I mean Artur Schnabel This is probably a definitive recording

------------------
                          Love from London
                          Love from London

Comment

Amalie: hope your evening was fun!

Ruudp: Sounds like you had a wonderful time!
                            Congrats to you!!

Tony: The Tempest is one of my favourites, good choice!

This afternoon was a good mix of some Beethoven his Piano Sonata #21 "Waldstein"
                            with Barbara Nissman, piano. Another favourite of mine and Mozart's Symphony #40.
                            Have a good weekend all!

------------------

Comment

J.S. Bach's Concerto in the Italian Style in F Major, BWV 971, performed by the greatest Bach interpreter to live since Bach himself, Glenn Gould.

Comment

Working...
                              X