• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - triple concerto op.56

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

I opted for the Largo because of the relatively small file size as much as anything else. I think the Funeral March mp3 was too big for most people. Nice recording though the piano sounds a little thin in the mix.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      I opted for the Largo because of the relatively small file size as much as anything else. I think the Funeral March mp3 was too big for most people. Nice recording though the piano sounds a little thin in the mix.

well..
      First of all thnx again for a lovely mp3,
      The mp3 of the funeral march wasn't too long at all for..I'll wonder what you'll do with the 9th symphony then..these movements are all long ...it is indd a very nice recording although the piano as you mentioned isn't used in abundance so to say..I'd be interested in the rondo alla polacca in which the piano has got both support and solo function..
      Regards,

Ruud

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
        well..
        First of all thnx again for a lovely mp3,
        The mp3 of the funeral march wasn't too long at all for..I'll wonder what you'll do with the 9th symphony then..these movements are all long ...it is indd a very nice recording although the piano as you mentioned isn't used in abundance so to say..I'd be interested in the rondo alla polacca in which the piano has got both support and solo function..
        Regards,

Ruud
        Well I sometimes assume the poor response we get for some of the music is due to the size of the mp3, of course it could just be lack of interest, the Eroica page got 12 responses whilst Chopin's Concertos get 26 (to date)! I was originally planning to use the Rondo from op56. C'est la vie.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-23-2004).]

Comment

Well I sometimes assume the poor response we get for some of the music is due to the size of the mp3, of course it could just be lack of interest, the Eroica page got 12 responses whilst Chopin's Concertos get 26 (to date)! I was originally planning to use the Rondo from op56. C'est la vie.

I don't think the poor response you mention is due to the size of mp3 or lack of interest, I think that sometimes (as you say, c'est la vie) arises an interesting discussion as the Chopin concertos one because some people are expert listeners or players of a determined work, have some info... I must confess that it's not that long since I seriously decided to exercise my ears and listen sistematicly and with order classical music (deepen in composers, listen to different versions of the same piece...) so I think there must be a random confluence of factors.

And you never know... perhaps some day Eroica topic may awake!

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
            I don't think the poor response you mention is due to the size of mp3 or lack of interest, I think that sometimes (as you say, c'est la vie) arises an interesting discussion as the Chopin concertos one because some people are expert listeners or players of a determined work, have some info... I must confess that it's not that long since I seriously decided to exercise my ears and listen sistematicly and with order classical music (deepen in composers, listen to different versions of the same piece...) so I think there must be a random confluence of factors.

And you never know... perhaps some day Eroica topic may awake!
            So at this Beethoven site we have Chopin experts but not Beethoven?! As you say, some day a humble work like the Eroica may indeed awake...

------------------

Comment

This movement I think is the finest in the triple concerto - however I'm not sure about this performance - is the fortepiano a copy or reconditioned? The sound is not as satisfactory as that of the Castle trio who I believe use a copy.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Rod, with all the perfomances and all the material written on the Eroica what can one say more? Unfortunately, I have to move all the samples I have gotten from you to another computer as this one has been silenced. It was a sad day for it that the tones of Beethoven no longer reverbrated through it's framework.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                  This movement I think is the finest in the triple concerto - however I'm not sure about this performance - is the fortepiano a copy or reconditioned? The sound is not as satisfactory as that of the Castle trio who I believe use a copy.

I suggest the other movements are at least as interesting! By ideal preference I would have presented the first.

I was not aware the Castle Trio has made a recording of this piece. I don't know how I missed that one!!

Regarding the current recording I think the piano is a little 'off mic' and probably not the best instrument in the world. I have no idea of the make or whether it is an original or a copy. Badura-Skoda usually performs on originals so that would be my guess. The Graf used in the 4th concerto (it is not stated in the notes but the sound is unmistakable), also on the disk, sounds much fuller, fantastic in fact, and is certainly an original to my ear. You will hear this soon (I may cut up the first movement for you, so good it sounds!).

------------------

Comment

I suggest the other movements are at least as interesting! By ideal preference I would have presented the first.

I was not aware the Castle Trio has made a recording of this piece. I don't know how I missed that one!!

Regarding the current recording I think the piano is a little 'off mic' and probably not the best instrument in the world. I have no idea of the make or whether it is an original or a copy. Badura-Skoda usually performs on originals so that would be my guess. The Graf used in the 4th concerto (it is not stated in the notes but the sound is unmistakable), also on the disk, sounds much fuller, fantastic in fact, and is certainly an original to my ear. You will hear this soon (I may cut up the first movement for you, so good it sounds!).

I was referring to the castle trio performing Beethoven trios! I particularly like the sound they produce, so I'm rather pleased that my ear is beginning to distinguish copies from reconditioned fortepianos!

The other movements are interesting, but I think the 2nd movement the finest.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                      I was referring to the castle trio performing Beethoven trios! I particularly like the sound they produce, so I'm rather pleased that my ear is beginning to distinguish copies from reconditioned fortepianos!

The other movements are interesting, but I think the 2nd movement the finest.

Think about how much more dramatic op1 no3 sounds by the Castle Trio compared to any conventional performance - then in your mind apply the same to the first and last movements of the Trio Concerto. Sometimes it sounds like a different work on period instruments. This is how accutely Beethoven was in tune with the instruments of his day, whether he thought they were up to the job or not, more so I believe than any other composer of the classical period.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-24-2004).]

Comment

I must add that over the years or reading critical assessments of Beethoven music, I have read of no piece of that has received a more negative reception than this concerto. To the effect that it is barely worthy to be discussed in the same sentence as B's other concertos!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-26-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                        X