No announcement yet.

There are Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed, this is one that bears looking into! And just yesterday I got a disk with octets by Mendelssohn and Neils Gade. Gade is super in chamber music! To top off the outstanding playing by L'Archibudelli and the Smithsonian Chamber Players, all 8 instruments are Strads from the Smithsonian's collection, freshly re-gutted for this performance. The sound is amazing. So, how about Gade? The "Danish Mendelssohn". Very little of his work in the repertoire (I have a symphony too, excellent) but that is about it. Another that derserves a far better fate than history handed him.

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

More revelations. Johannes Verhulst Symphony in E minor op.46. This Hollander spent almost five years in Leipzig and studied under Mendelssohn. He has his own style but the spirt of Mendelssohn lingers in his compostion. He is not one of the giants but his music merits listening to. This symphony is from a young Verhulst and shows it's youth in it's fist two movements but, as the program so righly reads, the scherzo and finale are the work of one who has mastered his profession. I absolutly love hearing the works of composers who seem to be just coming into recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
        Sorrano,
        You got me going with this composer.
        His full name is Johann Willem Wilms
        his dates are 1742-1847 and he was from the Netherlands. There are two symphonies of his that are available on DG Achive and they are: Symphony No. 7 (1830'S) and a Symphony in D minor (No Number) (1823) The Concerto Cologne is the performing Orchestra. And you are right. His music does indeed sound at times like LvB, Schubert and Weber. Thanks for the find.

Steve

This guy's music needs some exposure! Thanks for the info on him! What I heard I liked very much and will be looking to buy the symphonies you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
        X