There are Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are Others

When we can get by the enormity of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn etc. we find some absolutely beautiful and great music. Case in point, Johann Nepomuck Hummel. His Missa Solemnis, coupled with his Te Deum, was released two days ago and I purchased it before it was put on the shelf. His music is superb with it's flowing melodic lines and good orchestral balance. To add to all of this he was a very good friend of Beethoven, and considered his equal in performing on the piano.
    He was taught, for two years, by Mozart, he took over Haydn's postition at Esterhazy. I am glad to say that there seems to be a revival of Hummel's works that is long overdue. By the way, one of the classical recordings to end up high on the charts was the Stephen Hough's recording of Hummel's Piano Concertos Op. 85 and Op. 89. Small wonder people want to hear more of his music.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 06-17-2004).]

Originally posted by King Stephen:
    When we can get by the enormity of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn etc. we find some absolutely beautiful and great music. Case in point, Johann Nepomuck Hummel. His Missa Solemnis, coupled with his Te Deum, was released two days ago and I purchased it before it was put on the shelf. His music is superb with it's flowing melodic lines and good orchestral balance. To add to all of this he was a very good friend of Beethoven, and considered his equal in performing on the piano.
    He was taught, for two years, by Mozart, he took over Haydn's postition at Esterhazy. I am glad to say that there seems to be a revival of Hummel's works that is long overdue. By the way, one of the classical recordings to end up high on the charts was the Stephen Hough's recording of Hummel's Piano Concertos Op. 85 and Op. 89. Small wonder people want to hear more of his music.

K.S.

I have read about the man and have wanted to check out some of his pieces. Thanks for the tip.

------------------
    v russo
    v russo

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
      K.S.

I have read about the man and have wanted to check out some of his pieces. Thanks for the tip.

Hummel's music is delightful and doesn't deserve its fate - historically he is very interesting and can be regarded as one of the first Romantics in a line I think that goes Field, Hummel, Chopin. Incidentally that Stephen Hough recording of 2 Hummel concertos is amazing!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks for this KS I have been hearing a lot about Hummel recently and would like to buy this CD I know that Stephen Hough records for Hyperion Is that the label you purchased it on?

------------------
        Love from London
        Love from London

Comment

Aloha Friends

Yes! There certainly are others, musicians as well as composers. Most of my large recorded music collection is on 33 1/3 Lp. I still like analog sound over digital.

I have a late 1950s recording (VOX 2026) of Dvorak's 'Stabat Mater, Op.58.' The artists are Susan Summerville soprano, Grace De La Cruz contralto, Janos Korda tenor and Lajos Kendy bass.

The Westfalisches Sinfonieorchester; Recklinghausen, Recklinghausen Chorus, Herbert Reich conducting.

I can find nothing on this brilliant tenor
          Janos Korda. It would be great to have a bio
          however brief even if here on the internet.
          Has anyone here have any knowledge of this artist or the orchestra?

a hui ho
          db
          doublebass

Comment

Originally posted by dbass:
            Aloha Friends

Yes! There certainly are others, musicians as well as composers. Most of my large recorded music collection is on 33 1/3 Lp. I still like analog sound over digital.

I have a late 1950s recording (VOX 2026) of Dvorak's 'Stabat Mater, Op.58.' The artists are Susan Summerville soprano, Grace De La Cruz contralto, Janos Korda tenor and Lajos Kendy bass.

The Westfalisches Sinfonieorchester; Recklinghausen, Recklinghausen Chorus, Herbert Reich conducting.

I can find nothing on this brilliant tenor
            Janos Korda. It would be great to have a bio
            however brief even if here on the internet.
            Has anyone here have any knowledge of this artist or the orchestra?

a hui ho
            db
            at http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005NUQL
            and at http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/tg/...cal/B00005NUQL /samples/ref=ed_sa_dp_1_1/302-6561580-3240012:

1. Stabat Mater Op. 58 (1. Teil): 1. Stabat Mater Dolorosa
            Komponist Anton?n Dvorak
            mit Hubert Reichert, Westf?lisches Sinfonieorchester Recklinghausen, St?dtischer Chor Recklinghausen
            2. Stabat Mater Op. 58 (1. Teil): 2. Quis Est Homo, Qui Non Fleret

3. Stabat Mater Op. 58 (1. Teil): 3. Eja, Mater, Fons Amoris

an article about "Westf?lisches Sinfonieorchester" can be found in
            Hirsch, Anja: ?berlebenskampf mit Pauken und Trompeten : 40 Jahre Westf?lisches Sinfonieorchester / Anja Hirsch ; Volker Stennei.
            In: Unna <Kreis>: Heimatbuch 15 [vielmehr 16] (1995) S. 9-11: Ill.

4. Stabat Mater Op. 58 (1. Teil): 4. Fac, Ut Ardeat Cor Meum

5. Slawischer Tanz Nr. 16 As-dur op. 72 Nr. 8
            Komponist Anton?n Dvorak
            mit Leopold Ludwig, Bamberger Symphoniker

6. Stabat Mater Op. 58 (2. Teil): 1. Tui Nati Vulnerati
            Komponist Anton?n Dvorak
            mit Suzanne Summerville, Grace De La Cruz, Janos Korda, Lajos Kendy, Hubert Reichert, Westf?lisches Sinfonieorchester Recklinghausen, St?dtischer Chor Recklinghausen

7. Stabat Mater Op. 58 (2. Teil): 2. Fac Me Vere Tecum Flere

8. Stabat Mater Op. 58 (2. Teil): 3. Virgo Virginum Praeclata

9. Stabat Mater Op. 58 (2. Teil): 4. Fac, Ut Portem Christi Mortem

10. Stabat Mater Op. 58 (2. Teil): 5. Infammatus et Accensus

11. Stabat Mater Op. 58 (2. Teil): 6. Quando Corpus Morietur

12. Slawischer Tanz Nr. 7 c-moll op. 46 Nr. 7
            Komponist Anton?n Dvorak

13. Slawischer Tanz Nr. 3 As-dur op. 46 Nr. 3
            Komponist Anton?n Dvorak

14. Slawische Tanz Nr. 4 F-Dur Op. 46 Nr. 4
            Komponist Anton?n Dvorak
            mit Andr? Jouve, S?dwestfunkorchester Baden-Baden

15. Konzert f?r Violoncello und Orchester h-moll op. 104: 1. Allegro
            Komponist Anton?n Dvorak
            mit Guy Fallet, Andr? Jouve, S?dwestfunkorchester Baden-Baden

16. Konzert f?r violoncello und Orchester h-moll op. 104: 2. Adagio ma non troppo

17. Konzert f?r Violoncello und Orchester H-Moll Op. 104: 3. Allegro Moderato

18. Serenade f?r Streichorchester E-Dur Op. 22 (Auszug): Moderato
            Komponist Anton?n Dvorak
            mit G?nter Wich, S?dwestdeutsche Kammerphilharmonie

19. Serenade f?r Streichorchester E-Dur Op. 22 (Auszug): Tempo Di Valse

the conductor (Dirigent) here is Hubert Reichert, not Herbert Reich
            this 3-CD-set is also on other web-sites
            the Westf?lisches Sinfonieorchester has been renamed to Neue Philharmonie Westfalen
            the international name is Westphalia SO or Westphalian Symphony Orchestra and is found in several places on the web.
            see also Orchestre Symphonique de Westphalie, Orquesta Sinfonica de Westfalia, WSO

at http://www.hbz-nrw.de/produkte_diens.../node1685.html
            there is an article about the history of the orchestra is in
            Hirsch, Anja: ?berlebenskampf mit Pauken und Trompeten : 40 Jahre Westf?lisches Sinfonieorchester / Anja Hirsch ; Volker Stennei.
            In: Unna <Kreis>: Heimatbuch 15 [vielmehr 16] (1995) S. 9-11

which is a part of http://www.hbz-nrw.de/produkte_diens...3/nwbib13.html
            Nordrhein-Westf?lische Bibliographie
            Herausgegeben von den Universit?tsbibliotheken D?sseldorf und M?nster in Zusammenarbeit mit dem Hochschulbibliothekszentrum des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen in K?ln
            Band 13
            Berichtsjahr 1995

which in turn is a part of http://www.hbz-nrw.de
            Hochschulbibliothekszentrum des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen
            J?licher Str. 6
            50674 K?ln
            Telefon: 0221 / 40075-0
            Telefax: 0221 / 40075-180
            info-hbz@hbz-nrw.de

it offers
            Digitale Bibliothek, Literatursuche, Online-Fernleihe und Dokumentlieferung

__________________________________________________ ______________

i found
            Sinfonie Nr.6 A-Dur <Originalfassung> (1879-81) Edt. Nowak Fassung [1952] WAB106 - Reichert; Westf?lisches Sinfonieorchester; ?1963; Adora

__________________________________________________ __________________

at http://www.buecher-bord.de/index.htm...schriften.htm:
            Recklinghausen: Musikleben in Recklinghausen 1875 - 1975; 100 Jahre M?nnergesangverein "Eintracht"; 50 Jahre St?dtischer Saalbau; 20 Jahre Westf?lisches Sinfonieorchester; 20 Jahre St?dtische Musikschule
            M?nnergesangverein "Eintracht" und Stadt Recklinghausen (Hrsg.)
            Recklinghausen, Selbstverlag, 1975, 20 x 22 cm (B x H), 95 S.; mit sehr zahlreichen Fotos;
            illustrierter Originalpappband;
            leicht eselsohrig und lichtrandig: guter Zustand;
            <Bestellnr. 14325> Preis: 5,50 Euro

greetings, r.h.

________
            volcano digital vaporizer
            Last edited by runonce; 01-26-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

It is pleasant to see that Hummel is now getting some of the recognition he so richly deserves, in my view he is certainly a great composer, his piano concerto's are just brilliant and they have this delightful synthesis of Mozart and Beethoven influences, and yet very much there own distinctive vioce. It is a great pity that he has been unfortunate enough to be sandwiched between two Titans, because without them I think he would have been one of the most important composers of the age.

Later I shall be listening to Hummel's Masses.

------------------
              ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-22-2004).]
              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                It is pleasant to see that Hummel is now getting some of the recognition he so richly deserves, in my view he is certainly a great composer, his piano concerto's are just brilliant and they have this delightful synthesis of Mozart and Beethoven influences, and yet very much there own distinctive vioce. It is a great pity that he has been unfortunate enough to be sandwiched between two Titans, because without them I think he would have been one of the most important composers of the age.

Later I shall be listening to Hummel's Masses.

Amalie,
                It is delightful to see how many people are being 'tuned' on to Hummel's music. The first time I heard his Piano concertos op.85 and op.89 was in 1960. Vox Turnabout label released them at the then stagering cost of $2.99. It was a revelation to me and made me a follower of Hummel's music.
                Again, quoting Gurn, " So much music and so little time".
                Steve

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 09-23-2004).]

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 09-23-2004).]

Comment

So much music indeed. Actually, IMHO, he WAS one of the most important musicians of his age, certainly he was influential, and works like his piano quintet (Op 87) were sheet music best sellers right up to the 20th century. Some other works not mentioned yet, his splendid bassoon concerto, variations for oboe and orchestra, clarinet quartet, outstanding sonatas for fortepiano & mandolin and fortepiano and viola, fortepiano sonatas, at least one marvelous fortepiano trio &c &c &c!! His output was huge and varied. My guess is that he faded from prominence because AFAIK he didn't write any symphonies, and this in the Age of Symphonies! And at the turn of the century "at home" music-making sort of disappeared, so no more sheet music sales to keep him in the public eye. Adios, Johann Nepomuk. Clearly worth looking into.
                  Who else might we add to this list?

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by King Stephen:
                    [B] Amalie,
                    It is delightful to see how many people are being 'tuned' on to Hummel's music. The first time I heard his Piano concertos op.85 and op.89 was in 1960. Vox Turnabout label released them at the then stagering cost of $2.99. It was a revelation to me and made me a follower of Hummel's music.
                    Again, quoting Gurn, " So much music and so little time".
                    Steve

=========

Indeed, so much wonderful music to explore.
                    As Jim Rohn the American business philosoper said, "there is no time for the substandard, because there is just so much brilliant stuff to listen to or read"!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-24-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Indeed, so much wonderful music to explore.
                      As Jim Rohn the American business philosoper said, "there is no time for the substandard, because there is just so much brilliant stuff to listen to or read"!

[/B]
                      Yes I agree much of Hummel's music is delightful and I particularly enjoy some of the piano concertos. However I think it also reveals exactly why Haydn, Mozart, Schubert and Beethoven are such giants - lets keep this in perspective, though the music of their contemporaries is usually delightful and often extremely fine, rarely does it contain the stamp of genius. Posterity is generally pretty accurate in its assessment even if it occasionally takes a few decades to get it right! However it can also be too harsh and certainly in Hummel's case there is much fine music as well as his overlooked historical place as a truer precursor of the Romantic movement than Beethoven.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                        Yes I agree much of Hummel's music is delightful and I particularly enjoy some of the piano concertos. However I think it also reveals exactly why Haydn, Mozart, Schubert and Beethoven are such giants - lets keep this in perspective, though the music of their contemporaries is usually delightful and often extremely fine, rarely does it contain the stamp of genius. Posterity is generally pretty accurate in its assessment even if it occasionally takes a few decades to get it right! However it can also be too harsh and certainly in Hummel's case there is much fine music as well as his overlooked historical place as a truer precursor of the Romantic movement than Beethoven.

I think we would all agree with that Peter,
                        the only slight point is that it is not a question of comparing him with the Titans which really would be unfair to Hummel.
                        It is a bit like the start of the Romantic movement in poetry, I mean England suddenly produced 5 stellar poets, Wordsworth, Byron, Shelley, Keats, Coleridge, and an outstanding poet like John Clare has only recently started to get his due, because he has been under the shadow of these great poets. Hummel is similar in respect of Mozart, Beethoven etc.

------------------

Comment

Yes, history is NOT always right, as I think Rod would agree in Händel's case. 2 other names I would throw in the ring are CPE Bach & Spohr. Spohr was a splendid composer, but only in the last 10 years has one been able to get anything of his. I really think that there are or can be extenuating circumstances which contribute in subtle ways to long-term success or obscurity, such as those I suggested for Hummel. When it comes down to it I honestly think that humans have a certain capacity for retaining and using information, and when that capacity is exceeded then those things deemed at the moment to be less important are pushed out. One can only have so many heroes, as it were.
                          I find it refreshing that the doomsayers have told us that classical music is dead, it just doesn't know it yet. But we have at this point in history more music by more composers more generally available than at any time ever.

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Anyone familiar with a composer by the name of Johann von Wilm (I am very uncertain about the spelling but that is how I remember the name announced)? He is a contemporary of Beethoven and a set of his symphonies recently won an award this past month (Emmy or Grammy). The radio station I've been listening to has featured some of his music and I caught the finale of his 7th Symphony. It sounded like a cross between Beethoven, von Weber, and Schubert. It was very nice and very listenable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                              Anyone familiar with a composer by the name of Johann von Wilm (I am very uncertain about the spelling but that is how I remember the name announced)? He is a contemporary of Beethoven and a set of his symphonies recently won an award this past month (Emmy or Grammy). The radio station I've been listening to has featured some of his music and I caught the finale of his 7th Symphony. It sounded like a cross between Beethoven, von Weber, and Schubert. It was very nice and very listenable.
                              Sorrano,
                              You got me going with this composer.
                              His full name is Johann Willem Wilms
                              his dates are 1742-1847 and he was from the Netherlands. There are two symphonies of his that are available on DG Achive and they are: Symphony No. 7 (1830'S) and a Symphony in D minor (No Number) (1823) The Concerto Cologne is the performing Orchestra. And you are right. His music does indeed sound at times like LvB, Schubert and Weber. Thanks for the find.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X