Fidelio on TV Last Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fidelio on TV Last Night

I love "Fidelio" but the performance I saw last night on the French TV channel Mezzo was not getting any brownie points from me. It was a 15 Feb. 2004 performance from Zurich with Nicholas Harnoncourt conducting. I did not care much for the singers in this opera performance especially the gal who played Marzelline and the guy playing Jaquino. Fidelio and Rocco were better but I just couldn't watch the entire opera. I ended up changing channels after the end of act one. The sets were practically nonexistent, very minimalistic. The costumes were also a let down. I guess that I am just too spoiled by the 1978 performance with the Vienna Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein starring Gundula Janowitz as Fidelio, Lucia Popp as Marzelline and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau as Don Fernando.

I was so looking forward to watching this opera production last night but was so disappointed. I'll just have to put on my Bernstein version today to put a smile back on my face.
    "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Originally posted by Hollywood:
    I love "Fidelio" but the performance I saw last night on the French TV channel Mezzo was not getting any brownie points from me. It was a 15 Feb. 2004 performance from Zurich with Nicholas Harnoncourt conducting. I did not care much for the singers in this opera performance especially the gal who played Marzelline and the guy playing Jaquino. Fidelio and Rocco were better but I just couldn't watch the entire opera. I ended up changing channels after the end of act one. The sets were practically nonexistent, very minimalistic. The costumes were also a let down. I guess that I am just too spoiled by the 1978 performance with the Vienna Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein starring Gundula Janowitz as Fidelio, Lucia Popp as Marzelline and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau as Don Fernando.

I was so looking forward to watching this opera production last night but was so disappointed. I'll just have to put on my Bernstein version today to put a smile back on my face.
    Good Fidelios are about as common as Primroses on the Moon.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood:

W00T?? Is there a video of that? (And yes, DFD too always puts a smile on my face, I the Fricsay one )

------------------
      "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Working...
      X