• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Eroica symphony Op.55

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Is Beethoven's Eroica the greatest piece of music ever to be written.
    I liked this version though it seems a bit underpowered. Listening now and in past at the opening theme of the Marcia Funebre, I am staggered at the way in which the second theme links up with the first theme.
    A sheer dazzling passage of invention and power.
    The Maestro seems to be saying that if we go back to our past or if indeed we can go back to our past it is only through some awesome or divine act of transfiguration, whereby past and present unite in a prodigious display of power and energy.
    The whole point is Beethoven seems to be saying is that we are just not the people we were and it is only through the genius of the artist or the divine that we can achieve transfiguration.

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-09-2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
      I liked this version though it seems a bit underpowered...
      Underpowered?? Perhaps it is your PC speakers that are underpowered! This is the best Eroica currently available. A small orchestra but it sounds as scary as hell on my hi-fi.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-10-2004).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Underpowered?? Perhaps it is your PC speakers that are underpowered! This is the best Eroica currently available. A small orchestra but it sounds as scary as hell on my hi-fi.

could you plzz explain in which aspect this rendition is authentic because all the instruments used in those times haven't changed significantly over the years have they??

------------------
        Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
          could you plzz explain in which aspect this rendition is authentic because all the instruments used in those times haven't changed significantly over the years have they??

Just about every aspect, the instruments (which are quite different to fine tuned ears!), the size of the orchestra, the tempi (following to a large degree Beethoven's metonome indications).

The string section here uses gut stringing, the timpani are covered with hide and hit with hard sticks, the brass is all valveless, the woodwind also are much simpler in construction.

The orchestra size approximates that of the premiere performance.

The tempi are on the quick side by contemporary standards.

The result of all this is a more transparent, a more engaging and a more colourful sound. In Beethoven's hands especially the sound is more 'electric' too.

But I ask you to download the track if you can (or better still buy it!) and judge for yourself.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-10-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
            I liked this version though it seems a bit underpowered. Listening now and in past at the opening theme of the Marcia Funebre, I am staggered at the way in which the second theme links up with the first theme.
            A sheer dazzling passage of invention and power.
            The Maestro seems to be saying that if we go back to our past or if indeed we can go back to our past it is only through some awesome or divine act of transfiguration, whereby past and present unite in a prodigious display of power and energy.
            The whole point is Beethoven seems to be saying is that we are just not the people we were and it is only through the genius of the artist or the divine that we can achieve transfiguration.

Beethoven's capacity to link themes from one section to another and from one movement to another is indeed extraordinary. With this symphony the connectivity between movements becomes more apparent and the work as a whole becomes indivisible. With some transposition one might select various movements from various Mozart symphonies and come up with a satisfying work, but not with Beethoven.

Comment

Just about every aspect, the instruments (which are quite different to fine tuned ears!), the size of the orchestra, the tempi (following to a large degree Beethoven's metonome indications).

The string section here uses gut stringing, the timpani are covered with hide and hit with hard sticks, the brass is all valveless, the woodwind also are much simpler in construction.

The orchestra size approximates that of the premiere performance.

The tempi are on the quick side by contemporary standards.

The result of all this is a more transparent, a more engaging and a more colourful sound. In Beethoven's hands especially the sound is more 'electric' too.

But I ask you to download the track if you can (or better still buy it!) and judge for yourself.

What can you tell me of the metronome marks which beethoven applied later on..what where they and are they plausible now??

Comment

On the title page of the autograph of the 3rd Symphony by Beethoven there are two or three things that are scratched out "Bonaparte" is so heavily scratched out it has a hole in it.There is a note on the top about the first violin and a note on the bottom about the third horn ,but what is written and crossed out along the side of the autograph?
                Something not in Beethoven's hand?
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

What can you tell me of the metronome marks which beethoven applied later on..what where they and are they plausible now??
                  They are plausible now, but they were not thought plausible in the 50's and 60's! Then they were thought to be too fast but these days there is a change of mind on the matter. I haven't got them at hand for the Eroica but I can get them for tomorrow.

------------------

Comment

I must say... this piece is very moving. I was studying and had to stop, because I felt such a movement. The power of this is wonderful. I also found it to keep me going on writing my lesson plans and helped me with genterating more thoughts for my kids and their lessons.

Comment

They are plausible now, but they were not thought plausible in the 50's and 60's! Then they were thought to be too fast but these days there is a change of mind on the matter. I haven't got them at hand for the Eroica but I can get them for tomorrow.

I though I had the metronome marks but it appears I haven't. I though there would be a list of them all of B's metronome marks online but I've yet to find anything.

------------------

Comment

1.Allegro con brio - dotted minim=60
                        2.Adagio assai - quaver=80
                        3.Allegro vivace - dotted minim=116, alla breve - semibreve=116
                        4.Allegro molto - minim=76, poco andante - quaver=108, presto - quaver=116

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 09-19-2004).]
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                          1.Allegro con brio - dotted minim=60
                          2.Adagio assai - quaver=80
                          3.Allegro vivace - dotted minim=116, alla breve - semibreve=116
                          4.Allegro molto - minim=76, poco andante - quaver=108, presto - quaver=116

Thnx.. the both of ya..very interesting..too bad some conductors don't follow these guidelines

------------------
                          Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Working...
                          X