Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    [B]King,
    Yes, these are great bloody chunks of music here, no hard thing to surmise that this man was a symphonist and little else! Nothing bizarre though, I had seen him associated with the liszt/Wagner school, but frankly if that is true, it is not overwhelming. Oh, those Wind Band pieces are super. I love 'em. It was such a surprise when I first heard them, "This is Beethoven??"

Amalie,
    Run run run girl! Can't be healthy, take time to enjoy your music. No point choking on your Wheatabix!! But anyway aren't those sonatas nice? Op 1 & 2 are greatly undervalued, I think. Later.

No worries Gurn,
    It was all worth it just to come home and chill out and relax with Lovely Ludwig:
    listening to his Symphony no.6 'Pastorale',
    by, the Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique/ John Eliot Gardiner.

and a splendid piece by - Tomaso Albinoni,
    Adagio In G minor, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields / Sir Neville Marriner

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

It is revealing that at a Beethoven Forum a chain devoted to a work as great as the 3rd Symphony attracts only 5 comments wheras the general music chains (as these are) attract 100's of comments.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-16-2004).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

String Quartet KV.387 - Wolferl
        Before it was KV.622 - Michael Collins Clarinet - just perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          It is revealing that at a Beethoven Forum a chain devoted to a work as great as the 3rd Symphony attracts only 5 comments wheras the general music chains (as these are) attract 100's of comments.

well...but...gosh..Am I the only one who feels guilty now???
          sorry rod but...this is more about the day to day music/..more a inquiry section too exchange thoughts on the music You've played today...I've been playin scott joplin's maple leaf fig leaf and entertainer rag..beethovens last sonata performed by john lill..his 4th concerto performed by Emill gilels and mozart's 41st symphony in C major...

------------------
          Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Ruud,
            Well, I don't feel guilty at all. If I only listened to B (which I am inclined to do) then I would be hard put to have as much music as I do! Part of the problem, of course, is that I have nothing constructive to add to a discussion of the 3rd Symphony, so I merely read it with interest. Is it among my favorite works to listen to? Certainly!

Amalie,
            I have recently heard Gardiner's 6th for the first time, and I must say, I really like the tempi that he has taken. In comparing the Gardiner cycle to the Harnoncourt, although there are many similarities, the Gardiner forces just sound more at ease with what they are doing, so I am too.

Rod,
            I think this is merely an indication that people have wider ranging interests by and large, and they like to talk about the things they listen to on a daily basis. It helps also to get ideas on things that you have never heard before. One thing that I think should please you is that HIP performance is pushed pretty hard here by some of us, and maybe more people are becoming convinced to try it. Perhaps along with your own efforts, we can get a new recruit or two.

P.
            That is an excellent lineup. That concerto is one of my favorites. Here is a strange thing, recently I was listening to a disk that has the Mozart Clarinet Concerto, and with it is Beethoven's Violin Concerto, except the violin part is being played by clarinet! Laugh if you will, but I tell you, the clarinet sounds better there than even B's own piano version.

For me, it is the Symphony in c minor - #1 - Op 5 - Neils Gade (1817-1890) - Copenhagen Colegium Musicum. Nice, Early Romantic, famous in his time, unjustly forgotten today. My first listening, more later.

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

Well I do wish that I could keep adding to my Rod mp3 Library of great Beethoven (and Handel) pieces ,but for some technical reason that I do not understand or know how to fix,my computer refuses to download your offerings. Pity.
              But I did just read a fantastic book of Donald Tovey's very witty concert programme notes,one of which was Beethoven's 3rd.

Now playing Mozart's Concerto for 3 pianos and orchestra K242
              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                Amalie,
                Ah, some of my favorite Vivaldi. Boy, I would love to have that Manze disk, and the late Iona Brown is no slouch either!

v.
                Coltrane! I love Coltrane! Now, there is some modern music I can take Well, semi-modern anyway. What did you think of my Tubin expedition? He is really quite listenable, as you know that is a major concession for me!

Amalie,
                Yet again! Is that Lancaster/Pathetique one of yours or the radio? Did you think he was as good as the Badura-Skoda or Tan that Rod played for us?

atserri,
                Quite an array of 9th's! And a nice serenade to boot. I went through similar a couple of years ago, I didn't listen to anything orchestral for 2 or 3 years while I discovered chamber music, then when I went back to it I had a whole different appreciation for it. Still prefer chamber music, but certain orchestral works really move me now in a way they didn't used to.

For me now, it is Symphony in Bb - #85 - "La Reine" - Josef Haydn - Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment / Kuijken - The lovely Paris Symphony #4. I honestly like these set of 6 better than the 12 London's, I think they represent the essential Haydn, before he made it to the top of what was then the world stage. All the drama and interest, but still compact in form. Super!

never heard of Tubin Gurn. I am listening to Boulez: Second sonata (if you could call it that)
                the great Pollini doing the honors.

------------------
                v russo
                v russo

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                  [B]Ruud,
                  Well, I don't feel guilty at all. If I only listened to B (which I am inclined to do) then I would be hard put to have as much music as I do! Part of the problem, of course, is that I have nothing constructive to add to a discussion of the 3rd Symphony, so I merely read it with interest. Is it among my favorite works to listen to? Certainly!

Amalie,
                  I have recently heard Gardiner's 6th for the first time, and I must say, I really like the tempi that he has taken. In comparing the Gardiner cycle to the Harnoncourt, although there are many similarities, the Gardiner forces just sound more at ease with what they are doing, so I am too.

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines as you Gurn, and quite enjoyed this, I always find it interesting to listen to other interpretations, but I always have this sneaking feeling that I am not listing to the real thing in the sense that in my book nothing can top the great orchestral interpretations of Furtwangler and Klemperer. I do have Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, under Gardiner, with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra which is excellent.
                  Not offense to Mr. Gardiner who's conducting I enjoy but the Berlin Philharmonic to tend to operate on auto pilot regardless of who is conducting them!

------------------
                  ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-17-2004).]
                  ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Working...
                  X