What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gurn,

A heartfelt welcome back *albeit a little late* *I want to know EVERYTHIN of your vacantion..tell me tell me tell me *
    I''ve been busy this weekend...on the one hand I've been cleaning my room and on the other I had a concert today with the percussion band I'm in..It's a percussion band consisting of drums *snare/field* tom toms,bongo's conga's timbales marimba's xylophone,vibraphone synthesizer and small percussion..,I play small percussion and synthesizer..We rehearsed at 11:30 then we went too the place were we had the concert *maastricht* we performed..paused performed again and at 6 'O' clock I was home again..it's been beethovens 7th and 9th symphony 3th pianoconcerto..clementi's sonatinas *op.36 nr.3 and6 played by myself..* and vivaldi's four seasons..

Best regards,
    Ruud.

P.s von russo what do you hold of such bands as queen and abba...:I simply love queen for their powerfull music...we performed bohemian rhapsody on school once with our music class..SATB and piano accompagnient by our teacher lovely

P.p.s the first one on page 4...I feel honored

------------------
    Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

[This message has been edited by ruudp (edited 09-12-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Grillparzer:
      Your Highness,
      My deepest apologies for offending your sensibilities. I felt only that I was being mischaracterized and mocked, so lashed out in return. You are quite correct, sir, schools of thought. Excellent perspective!
      And now, I listen to Mozart, his Sonata in F-dur for Piano et Violon - K 377 - Entertaining AND thought provoking!

perhaps easying on the sarcasm would help too lower the anger brought forth by such differences of opinion..music ic as peter warlock stated on this site good OUTSIDE of its period boundaries..music is good because it hits you in more than one way..because it has an impact on you...I do not find mozart shallow although lots of haydns music does sound rather boring..shallow and empty too me..I do not wish too limit myself too one period only and will try out music of all kinds..and I'm still learning every single day..from the day that someone on this board recommended mendellsohns scottish symphony to me till the day someone told me about the film music of robin hood...I never cease too amaze myself how much good *and offcourse sometimes bad* music there is on this planet..wether it be strauss also sprach zarustra or clementi's sonatinas op.36...

best regards,

Ruud

Right now it's the midified version once more of liszt's transcription of rossini's ouverture too guillaime tell

------------------
      Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
        cool piece (Honegger). I have not heard this in a while, I will check it out again.

I have just purchased Honegger's Symphony No 3 "Liturgique" on NAXOS withthe New Zealand Symphony under Takuo Yuasa. It is a powerful work indeed. There are some other pieces on the same CD all by Honegger, including "Pacific 231" which I have yet to concentrate on. The value that NAXOS typically provides here makes it well worth checking out.

------------------
        Love from London
        Love from London

Comment

I'm listening to a Schubert compilation on NAXOS ,a little of this a bit of that ,no singing ,Gurnrl would approve.Now it is the Adagio from the string quintet in C major D956 opus 163.
          I enjoyed Furtwanglers ,Don Giovanni. The small screen doesn't do it justice, I guess the thing about opera is that you really have to be there.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
            v,
            not that it makes the slightest difference
            but just so you know I am a "good woman"space.
            Now listening to Musorgskys choral version
            of St John's Night on the Bald Mountain.This afternoon I'm spending with Furtwangler's (and Mozart's) Don Giovanni on video ,it is raining cats and dogs.
            spacerl

After having spent many years of listening to Rimsky-Korsakov's refining of the Night on Bald Mountain I was much gratified to get the vocal version that comes from the opera with the original orchestration. I much prefer that to the refinement. Very nice!

Today I've been listening to an album of Beethoven Adagios (I typically don't buy these because, first I want to hear the entire work, and second, the performances tend to be less than first rate). The 9th Symphony adagio is included with the notes of how one can hear the "anguish" and torment of a composer going deaf. All I heard was nothing but the sublime and pure serenity of one with peace with his maker. Perhaps I am out of touch with these things....

Comment

Tonight is going to have to be Russian for me! Mussourgsky pieces: excerpt from Khovanshchina, Night on Bald Mountain (Rimsky-Korsakov), Hopak from Sorochintsy Fair, then Borodin's In the Steppes of Central Asia (among my very favorite tone poems) with a smattering of other Russian works and composers if I get that far. I certainly love Mussorgsky's highly individual style!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                Tonight is going to have to be Russian for me! Mussourgsky pieces: excerpt from Khovanshchina, Night on Bald Mountain (Rimsky-Korsakov), Hopak from Sorochintsy Fair, then Borodin's In the Steppes of Central Asia (among my very favorite tone poems) with a smattering of other Russian works and composers if I get that far. I certainly love Mussorgsky's highly individual style!
                These are all my favourite Russian composers too along with Shostakovich and Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky, I really love following through the battle on ice. only the other day I was listening to it and you hear the clashing of the swords and get the sense the the coldness and a primitive element of brutal ugliness, but the music is top quality from Prokofiev.
                It remains one of his most richly imaginative, harmonically sophisticated and wonderfully atmospheric scores.
                Now, this is a side to me that you would never have guessed, I like battle music!

For this early in the morning I will content myself with BEETHOVEN: King Stephan Overture.
                Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra/Kurt Mazur

BEETHOVEN'S Leonore Overture 3
                Die Deutche Kammerphilharmonie/Bremen/ Daniel Harding.

A piece I haven't listened to for a while is Beethoven's Battle Symphony,'Wellington's Victory' , must get round to that later!

------------------
                ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Russian mood for me on monday morning: Scriabin (polonaises, preludes and mazurkas), rachmaninov (etudes-tableaux for piano) and shostakovich (string quartets 1-2). The only thing that can change my list could be if I receive the last Jarret-Peacock-DeJohnette record (an amazing jazz trio).
                  I'm curious about Mussorgsky, any advice or reccomendation? I just have 3-4 pieces of him in Horowitz performances, enough to raise my interest.

Comment

Gurn and Pastorali, you will be happy to know that another composer from the classical period has risen fron the ashes of obscurity.
                    CARLOS BAGUER (1768-1808). I have been listening to four of his nineteen symphonies. His music is stongly influenced by Haydn and in some cases the Italian style, very melodic and a joy to listen to.
                    Another Spanish (Catalonian) to be add to my collection along with J.C.Arriaga.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 09-13-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                      These are all my favourite Russian composers too along with Shostakovich and Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky, I really love following through the battle on ice. only the other day I was listening to it and you hear the clashing of the swords and get the sense the the coldness and a primitive element of brutal ugliness, but the music is top quality from Prokofiev.
                      It remains one of his most richly imaginative, harmonically sophisticated and wonderfully atmospheric scores.
                      Now, this is a side to me that you would never have guessed, I like battle music!

For this early in the morning I will content myself with BEETHOVEN: King Stephan Overture.
                      Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra/Kurt Mazur

BEETHOVEN'S Leonore Overture 3
                      Die Deutche Kammerphilharmonie/Bremen/ Daniel Harding.

A piece I haven't listened to for a while is Beethoven's Battle Symphony,'Wellington's Victory' , must get round to that later!

And have you seen the movie, Alexander Nevsky? It's been released with Ivan the Terrible (both parts) which, too, was scored by Prokofiev. Great music, rich in Russian tradition, combined with 20th Century harmony. The movies are worth seeing, just as the music is worth hearing!

Comment

Good morning all,
                        Oooohh.. a week away from work leaves an unbelievable pile on your desk at return!

King,
                        I shall hunt for that, Interesting, as I am just listening right now to the String Quartet in Eb, #3 of Arriaga! The Presto agitato is marvelous.
                        Wish I had more time to write, but have to run. Talk to ya'll later. BTW, I composed a long reply last night to the posts that were there, including Ruud, Tony and Pastorali et al, then when I went to post it it "hung up" in some manner, and when I finally backed out the text of the post was gone and I didn't have the heart to retype it all.

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

So back to work at last Gurn ,that pile of stuff on your desk is just an indication of their esteem for you!
                          I'm listening to Schubert again ,this time his Symphony no 5.
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Gurn
                            Don't let you prick, rather tell us where you go on vacation next month
                            BTW: Your musical habits are going to be mature, you have caught on at last

Agostino Steffani - Suites Theatrales

Comment

Spacerl,
                              Esteem? I don't know about that, I think it was payback! Well, Schubert is an excellent choice, I must say! Your taste finally seems to be improving, thanks, no doubt, to the excellent care and feeding that you get from the staff here at WAYLTN!

Pastrl,
                              Yes, always improve, that's my motto, although wait until you hear what I have going now! Speaking of which, I don't know Steffani, pretty good??

For me, it is the Symphony #3 of Eduard Tubin (1905-1982) and surprisingly quite good. v. russo would be so proud of me!!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                                And have you seen the movie, Alexander Nevsky? It's been released with Ivan the Terrible (both parts) which, too, was scored by Prokofiev. Great music, rich in Russian tradition, combined with 20th Century harmony. The movies are worth seeing, just as the music is worth hearing!
                                Yes Sorrano, that would be interesting if I do get the chance to see it, I was also considering getting the DVD Alexander Nevsky.

For now a bit of Vivaldi, 'La Cetra' concerto no.1 in C RV 181a,
                                Iona Brown (violin)
                                Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.

Vivaldi, concerto /0p.8/5, RV180,
                                'Il Piacere',
                                Andrew Manze / Academy of Ancient Music.

Benjamin Britten, An American Overture,0p.27
                                City of Birmingham Orchestra/Sir Simon Rattle.
                                OK, I had to listen to it, coming home from work in my friends car.....she loves it!

------------------
                                ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-13-2004).]
                                ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Working...
                                X