No announcement yet.

What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...and this all because a little statement about MY limited taste? now I'm afraid...

Nevertheless I listen to W.A. Mozart
    Thamos, König in Ägypten - KV.345
    Ballet Music 'Les petits rien' KV.299b
    Ballet Music from 'Idomeneo' KV.366
    I love it

Comment

Well, haven't we all been busy little beavers while the Gurnster takes a vacation

King,
      Hola, amigo! I see you have made a bold effort to continue Music Appreciation 101 We shall try to pick up where we left off then!

Pastor Ali,
      So, you were the one that started this mess, eh? I should have known this I never heard of any good elements coming out of the Alps However, though you are undoubtedly a troublemaker, you DO have excellent taste. "Les petits rien", eh? I would dearly love to hear that. Are those ballet suites on the Brilliant opera set? Bueno!

Franz,
      So you have come out of lurking, eh? You must be willing to grant people a wider latitude than 1760 - 1830. That is too narrow. I think you should at least take it up to 1900! I like those Mozart P & V works though. Played by...?

And for me now, it is Trio in G major for Flute, Violin & Cello - "London Trio #2" - Josef Haydn. These are performed by Rampal, Stern & Rostropovich. Splendid music, splendidly played!

Such a delight to be back, hello to all of you, tomorrow, it will be Beethoven's 9th and golf, the perfect Sunday!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        Well, haven't we all been busy little beavers while the Gurnster takes a vacation

King,
        Hola, amigo! I see you have made a bold effort to continue Music Appreciation 101 We shall try to pick up where we left off then!

Pastor Ali,
        So, you were the one that started this mess, eh? I should have known this I never heard of any good elements coming out of the Alps However, though you are undoubtedly a troublemaker, you DO have excellent taste. "Les petits rien", eh? I would dearly love to hear that. Are those ballet suites on the Brilliant opera set? Bueno!

Franz,
        So you have come out of lurking, eh? You must be willing to grant people a wider latitude than 1760 - 1830. That is too narrow. I think you should at least take it up to 1900! I like those Mozart P & V works though. Played by...?

And for me now, it is Trio in G major for Flute, Violin & Cello - "London Trio #2" - Josef Haydn. These are performed by Rampal, Stern & Rostropovich. Splendid music, splendidly played!

Such a delight to be back, hello to all of you, tomorrow, it will be Beethoven's 9th and golf, the perfect Sunday!

Welcome back Gurn, I hope you had a nice vacation. This tread has been a hot bed of activity. I am almost afraid to enter the hallowed halls of this site for fear of being attacked for my love of certain music. But alas, a new week is about to start and all will be well with the heavens, Beethoven's music and me.
        KS

Comment

Ahhh, peace prevails at last, We are at one now Gurn's back! A big squidgy hug!

My morning started off with a piece from
          Arthur Honegger: Pacific 231, symphonic movement for orchestra.
          From notes:
          At the beginning of his career Honegger adopted the style of urban music that was fashionable at the time with rhythms that evoked those of machines and melodies that were both concise and daring. The music is a realistic and tonal evocation of a powerful American locomotive. The music advances with rhythmic pulses that accelerate until it reaches a powerful climax before gradually slowing down and coming to a halt. In reality Honegger followed up a musical idea 'giving the feeling of a mathematical acceleration' .

Then comes soothing calm after the storm with a piece from Dvorak:
          Romance in F minor, for Violin and Orchestra, 0p.11
          Thomas Zehetmair (violin)
          Philharmonia Orchestra

J.S.Bach: Cantata
          'Jesu der du meine Seele'
          BWV 78. The Bach Ensemble

------------------
          ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-12-2004).]
          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

More listening coming up to lunchtime

TALLIS: 'Sing and glorify heaven's high Majesty'
            Chapelle du Roi/Alistair Dixon
            A radiant and beautiful jewel from the Elizabethan Era.

SCHUBERT'S Unfinished symphony
            Vienna Philharmonic/Carlos Kleiber

BEETHOVEN: Archduke Trio
            Barenboim (piano)

BEETHOVEN: String quartet no.16, 0p.135
            Quarteto Italiano.
            Achingly beautiful!

------------------
            ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

King,,
              Glad to BE back. Best thing about going away is coming home! Well, we shall work together to get WAYLTN back on track, and hopefully the combatants can retire to another thread to continue their debate.

Amalie,
              Back at'cha! That Honegger piece actually sound interesting, more probably because I am an railroad nostalgist. But still... And that lovely piece by Dvorak. That was originally written as a movement for his Op 10 string quartet, but he decided it just didn't fit in very well and removed it. But then rescored it for solo violin & orchestra. So its history does not differ too much from B's Andante favori after all.
              Ooooh, Kleiber/VPO doing Schubert's 8th, that must be a peach!

For me, it is the splendid Symphony in d minor - #9 - Op 125 - Beethoven. Zurich Tonhalle Orchestre / Zinman. Everything to be said about this recording is positive, so as I watch the sun come up, I know it will be another excellent day!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                v,
                not that it makes the slightest difference
                but just so you know I am a "good woman"space.
                Now listening to Musorgskys choral version
                of St John's Night on the Bald Mountain.This afternoon I'm spending with Furtwangler's (and Mozart's) Don Giovanni on video ,it is raining cats and dogs.
                spacerl

man meaning "man-kind", of course!

------------------
                v russo
                v russo

Comment

Originally posted by Grillparzer:

Messr. Russo,
                  But I do not generalize! I have not said all old music is good, neither have I said all new music is bad. I have listened to the symphonies of Simpson, as an example I think of who would fit into your category of modern composer of some entertainment value (of course, as has been pointed out, entertainment is of a different meaning for each one, for me, it nearly always involves feeling better after than before ) and found them to be rather good, not serialist, atonal nor those other disgusting things that you listed, and yet I see him as being vastly inferior to Mozart, or even his unheralded contemporaries Vanhal and Dittersdorf! As for the Finns, such as Rutavaara, they left me even colder than did Sibelius, who was pretty cool for me. So where is the delight I got from the Septet Op 20??
                  As for you being done with me, I nearly regret de-lurking now merely to be threatened by such as you. Since childhood, my dear mother taught me that it was very poor manners to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person, so I think I shall go back into lurking yet again. However, I leave you with this, you do no service to your fellow posters on this board to suggest that they are morons because they don't appreciate the same things that you do. One of the basic elements of taste is that it is shared equally and is the result of a concensus of agreement. It seems the concensus is against you, my young friend.

Chicken.

And I am not young, and am 'well armed' in the most significant of ways.

I will drop the subject if you wish not to discuss it any longer...

I will say that you, like many others on this site are pure 'classical period' lovers. You need pure logic and form in your works. I believe you have problems with romantic and late romantic music, not to mention much of the music of the 20th century.

I just feel there is a whole centuries worth of music to investigate and appreciate. Its seems ignorant for anyone living in the '21st' century and who claims to be a "lover" of classical music not to do so. And I am NOT a bully. I was intellectually challenging you for a debate. This is part of this forums function, ...no?

ggggrrrrrrrrr!!!

------------------
                  v russo

[This message has been edited by v russo (edited 09-12-2004).]

v russo

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Ahhh, peace prevails at last, We are at one now Gurn's back! A big squidgy hug!

My morning started off with a piece from
                    Arthur Honegger: Pacific 231, symphonic movement for orchestra.
                    From notes:
                    At the beginning of his career Honegger adopted the style of urban music that was fashionable at the time with rhythms that evoked those of machines and melodies that were both concise and daring. The music is a realistic and tonal evocation of a powerful American locomotive. The music advances with rhythmic pulses that accelerate until it reaches a powerful climax before gradually slowing down and coming to a halt. In reality Honegger followed up a musical idea 'giving the feeling of a mathematical acceleration' .

Then comes soothing calm after the storm with a piece from Dvorak:
                    Romance in F minor, for Violin and Orchestra, 0p.11
                    Thomas Zehetmair (violin)
                    Philharmonia Orchestra

J.S.Bach: Cantata
                    'Jesu der du meine Seele'
                    BWV 78. The Bach Ensemble

cool piece (Honegger). I have not heard this in a while, I will check it out again.

------------------
                    v russo
                    v russo

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

King,

Pastor Ali,

Franz,

Sir, welcome back and thanks for the support.

------------------
                      v russo
                      v russo

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                        ...and this all because a little statement about MY limited taste? now I'm afraid...

Nevertheless I listen to W.A. Mozart
                        Thamos, König in Ägypten - KV.345
                        Ballet Music 'Les petits rien' KV.299b
                        Ballet Music from 'Idomeneo' KV.366
                        I love it

I meant no offence to you. I have been trying to make a broader point, ..thats all.

------------------
                        v russo

v russo

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                          NOWNOW that's VERY harsh now ISN'T it...I'm a composer aswell...or atleast I want too study too become one...I think it's the soul-purpose of a composer NOT too entertain the crowd but too give them food for thought..too make them feel good after a evening of music NOT because the music was shallow or entertainy but because it touched them hopefully deeply...THIS is the essence of creating music IM not so very HO...not too entertain but too enlighten and perhaps "teach" the masses...

I found your post quite gruesome and an attack to music in general..

Regards,
                          Ruud
                          well put Ruud. Thanks.

------------------
                          v russo
                          v russo

Comment

Gurn is back from vacation and he is off to play a round of golf. Does that sound like a guy whose whole life is one long holiday.
                            Did you buy any new cds?
                            Opera?

I watched the first volume of Don Giovanni
                            but got kicked out when the World Cup of Hockey came on ,Canada won their game!
                            How can hockey be more important than Mozart?... but that is a subject for another thread...now back to the Don.
                            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

v.
                              Oh, you know me, live and let live. I think there needs to be broad latitude in what people listen and don't listen to, however, it should be kept in mind that not everyone who dilikes modern classical does so because they haven't listened to it. There are people who have listened to it and don't like it, and their opinion needs respect also. I think that it should probably be no surprise to you that most people here are classical era lovers, hell, when I joined it was unusual for anyone to mention that they liked anyone other than Beethoven! At least we have got beyond that!!

Spacerl,
                              Yes, yes, one long holiday, and that's the way I like it, too I got actually 5 new CD's, 2 Haydn's, a Mozart and 2 by Ludwig Spohr. I also got "La Nozze de Figaro" and the libretto for same, so I can make heads or tails of it! Amazing! I would like to get Don Giovanni too, the story appears quite interesting and bizarre and the music is... Mozart

Right now, it is the Trio in Bb major for Piano, Violin & Cello - #4 - Op 133 - Ludwig Spohr (1784 - 1859). Surely among the earliest Romantics, Spohr is best known for his violin concertos, but his chamber music is quite interesting also. More like early Schubert than like Beethoven, it doesn't sound classical, no other way to say it!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn
                                Ah! what an amazing lineup, sounds great anyway. And your first Spohr, super. What is the Beethoven disk? Even any 'new' work for you?

Josef Haydn
                                Missa In Honorem
                                Beatissimae Virginis Mariae
                                Wiener Sängerknaben & Symphoniker - Harrer

Grandissimo
                                pastrl

Comment

Working...
                                X