Clear All

This evening listening to
    Charpentier: Requiem'
    (Messe pour les trespasses, H2+12+311)
    Messe pour plusieurs instruments au lieu des orgues, H513
    Te Deum H 146.

Choir and Orchestra of Les Arts Florissants,
    under William Christie.

Very lilting and charming, incorporating medieval chants.

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-09-2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Grillparzer:
      Messr. Russo,
      This is Mr. Peter of whom you speak? But, I thought always that he was very "hip"! But I must ask, why indeed would a person with any taste wish to listen to music of those later times, when there is so much good music of even Beethoven's time which is yet unheard? And it is sure to be music with some melody, and harmony to match, and perhaps some rhythm even!?! I am not too sure I understand what you are saying there, is it a suggestion perhaps that such neo-modern monstrosities have some redeeming feature? Surely not, que'lle outrage! You must attempt to achieve some sense of inner balance now by listening to some Mozart. Listen to Franz, he is much older and wiser than your average acquaintance.
      Adieu,
      Franz
      you pseudo- intellectual- academic- types are really boring me (and out of reality, I'm afriad).

Yes, I have heard of harmony and Mozart, thank you. I AM A COMPOSER!! Wouldn't you think me ignorant if I didn't know the classics?? Is anyone getting my point out there?...
      Think people, think.

B- is my favorite composer by the way (hence, why I am here)

losing interest....

------------------
      v russo

[This message has been edited by v russo (edited 09-10-2004).]
      v russo

Comment

The music to "Egmont" with Gundula Janowitz singing two songs "Die Trommel gerühret" and "Freudvoll und leidvoll".
        "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Some of Paganini's solo violin works: sonata napoleone, I palpiti, perpetuela, mel cor piu non mi sento, duo merveille, and introduction and variations on god save the king.
          Beethoven violin sonatas Spring (op.24) and Kreutzer (op.47).

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:

Is anyone getting my point out there?...
            Think people, think.

losing interest....

I have just finished a book by Alfred Brendel who suggests to young pianists that they must lean new music and put it on their programmes.I think this must be true for any musician ,a steady diet of of only one (or two) composer's would bore me.I think musiclovers shouldn't just stop at Dvorak (or Beethoven)I am prepared to listen to anything at least once . The most recently written piece I have heard is from a new Canadian opera based on a great novel by Alistair McCloud titled "Islands" music by Christopher Donnison.So please don't despair
            of all of us.

I'm listening now to a song cycle of Arthur
            Honegger "Saluste du Bartas" written in 1943.
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

The entire office is listening to the 6th Symphony. I'm so proud of them
              I am woman. Hear me roar!

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
                you pseudo- intellectual- academic- types are really boring me (and out of reality, I'm afriad).

Yes, I have heard of harmony and Mozart, thank you. I AM A COMPOSER!! Wouldn't you think me ignorant if I didn't know the classics?? Is anyone getting my point out there?...
                Think people, think.

B- is my favorite composer by the way (hence, why I am here)

losing interest....

Messr. Russo,
                Ah, a composer! What a surprise. Then you must surely understand that the root of the issue is that modern composers do not seek to entertain. Music is a closed system, composer ---> performer/interpreter ---> listener. All three of these must be present if indeed the music is to be judged a success, no? So, if the composer has elected to dispense with the listener, has cavalierly chosen to simply say "alors, screw the listener!" then how can he complain of not having an audience for his work? ANd surely this has been done, does Glass or Carter or Reich or Schnittke make any attempt to entertain the listener? I think not. For me, I put the "pseudo-intellectual" label on the composer, not on those who reject him. Give me a sonata anyday!

------------------
                Adieu,
                Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Adieu,
                Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Margaretha:
                  The entire office is listening to the 6th Symphony. I'm so proud of them

That sounds very interesting Margaretha, was it one of your CD's that you took to work? How did your colleagues like it?

Earlier I was listening to Beethoven's heaven storming 9th symphony by
                  the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted
                  by Herbert von Karajan.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Grillparzer:
                    Messr. Russo,
                    Ah, a composer! What a surprise. Then you must surely understand that the root of the issue is that modern composers do not seek to entertain. Music is a closed system, composer ---> performer/interpreter ---> listener. All three of these must be present if indeed the music is to be judged a success, no? So, if the composer has elected to dispense with the listener, has cavalierly chosen to simply say "alors, screw the listener!" then how can he complain of not having an audience for his work? ANd surely this has been done, does Glass or Carter or Reich or Schnittke make any attempt to entertain the listener? I think not. For me, I put the "pseudo-intellectual" label on the composer, not on those who reject him. Give me a sonata anyday!

NOWNOW that's VERY harsh now ISN'T it...I'm a composer aswell...or atleast I want too study too become one...I think it's the soul-purpose of a composer NOT too entertain the crowd but too give them food for thought..too make them feel good after a evening of music NOT because the music was shallow or entertainy but because it touched them hopefully deeply...THIS is the essence of creating music IM not so very HO...not too entertain but too enlighten and perhaps "teach" the masses...

I found your post quite gruesome and an attack to music in general..

Regards,
                    Ruud
                    ------------------
                    Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

[This message has been edited by ruudp (edited 09-10-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

That sounds very interesting Margaretha, was it one of your CD's that you took to work? How did your colleagues like it?

Earlier I was listening to Beethoven's heaven storming 9th symphony by
                      the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted
                      by Herbert von Karajan.

Dear Amalie My apologies but I have not yet had the opportunity to reply to your Email. Working life here in the smoke takes over. By the way did you read the amazing reviews of Sir Simon Rattle and the Beliner Philharmoniker's rendition of the Maestro's 9 at the Proms? In retrospect I probably would have eaten several of my CD's to have been there

------------------
                      Love from London
                      Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                        By the way did you read the amazing reviews of Sir Simon Rattle and the Beliner Philharmoniker's rendition of the Maestro's 9 at the Proms? In retrospect I probably would have eaten several of my CD's to have been there

Today the 9th made the baby cry,I'd fogotten I'd put it with the sonatas we usually listen to.I hope the critics gave the
                        Berlin Philharmoniker splendid reviews.I've just learned that the Victoria Symphony are giving all 9 of Beethoven's this season.Not a patch on the Prom's but I might go anyway.

Tony,CDs go in your ears not in your mouth.
                        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                          NOWNOW that's VERY harsh now ISN'T it...I'm a composer aswell...or atleast I want too study too become one...I think it's the soul-purpose of a composer NOT too entertain the crowd but too give them food for thought..too make them feel good after a evening of music NOT because the music was shallow or entertainy but because it touched them hopefully deeply...THIS is the essence of creating music IM not so very HO...not too entertain but too enlighten and perhaps "teach" the masses...

I found your post quite gruesome and an attack to music in general..

Regards,
                          Ruud
                          Messr. Ruud,
                          Why do you equate entertainment with shallowness? Is Mozart shallow? Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Haydn, Brahms??? I don't think so, and yet they all entertain. I think that this (and it is not only from you) idea that if something actually entertains people, then it cannot also make them think or enjoyment can only be the result of hard work is a harsh assessment of people in general. Harshness also comes from repellent discord and repetitive persussion, yet this only makes me think "let me out of here, please. Make it stop!".
                          ANd now I listen to Mozart, the Variations for Violin & Piano, K 360. And I shall also th9ink about them while I am being entertained.

------------------
                          Adieu,
                          Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Adieu,
                          Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grillparzer:
                            [B] Messr. Ruud,
                            Why do you equate entertainment with shallowness? Is Mozart shallow? Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Haydn, Brahms??? I don't think so, and yet they all entertain. I think that this (and it is not only from you) idea that if something actually entertains people, then it cannot also make them think or enjoyment can only be the result of hard work is a harsh assessment of people in general. Harshness also comes from repellent discord and repetitive persussion, yet this only makes me think "let me out of here, please. Make it stop!".
                            ANd now I listen to Mozart, the Variations for Violin & Piano, K 360. And I shall also th9ink about them while I am being entertained.

To some, thought is entertainment. I believe that modern music seeks to entertain those who understand it and more importantly those who wish to understand it. Mozart, who you seem to value highly, as do I, once said : "Give me the best instrument in Europe, but listeners who understand nothing or do not wish to understand and do not feel with me in what I am playing, and all my pleasure is spoilt." He was a man who saw the importance of the evolution of music and without his influence, who knows what we would be hearing today. Music must change because realy, what is the point in writting today like Mozart and Beethoven did; it would simply be redundant.

However I do agree with you that music of today has become unbearably intellectual. It ceases to express human emotion since the only thing composers are concerned with is "Advancing the art". I see their point, because I firmly believe that all music which does not introduce something new should not be written. If one writes in the style of others, why write? To entertain? Why, when we could simply consult those who developed the style?

I think that Debussy and Bartok had the right idea at the dawn of the 20th century but then damm Schoenberg ruined everything. Someone once asked him if he was the one who "wrote that awful music" to which he replied "Someone had to be."

Why? Atonal music brings NO pleasure to those who are not highly educated in the art and it does astrange the listener. Mozart also said "Music should never be harsh; it should never cease to be music" and that is the problem; where does music go from here? How can it be entertaining, expressive and new? Is the greatest of all the arts dead forever?

Comment

well, i bought CDs of beethoven's works. i really love to listen to his works, especially, the symphony no. 9. beethoven's music speaks the language of God. you'll be inspired, your mission in life -you'll discover it, by listening to his music. a sublime musician.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                                Dear Amalie My apologies but I have not yet had the opportunity to reply to your Email. Working life here in the smoke takes over. By the way did you read the amazing reviews of Sir Simon Rattle and the Beliner Philharmoniker's rendition of the Maestro's 9 at the Proms? In retrospect I probably would have eaten several of my CD's to have been there

Hi Tony,
                                I am sure there will be other opportunities for you to savour such a wonderful experience, I love the atmosphere at the Royal Albert Hall. I also enjoyed the Schoenberg variations for orchestra, 0p,31. There are more concerts lined up including performance of Beethoven's works.
                                Anyone interested in the Proms reviews of The Berlin Philharominc's performance of Beethoven's 9th. under Sir Simon Rattle. http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/reviews/05sep.shtml

A quick listen to the radio this am before going out, listening to:

Mozart: Piano concerto no.3. K107

C.P.E.BACH: Symphony no.2. Bb major, wq 182/2

Vivaldi: Concerto in A minor, for Bassoon, strings and continuo.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-11-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                                X