What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning!

Welcome back to the fold Joy! nice to hear from you.

Geratlas, glad your computer is up and running again!

Before setting off for work :

Holst:
    Beni Mora, Oriental Suite, 0p.29
    BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra

Mendelssohn:
    The Hebrides Overture 0p.26
    Orchestre Symphonique de Laval

Brahms:
    Piano Trio no.3 0p.101
    Christopher Koenyak (violin)
    Jan Insinger (cello)
    Dido Keuning (piano)

Clara Schumann:
    4 pieces fugitives, 0p.15
    Angela Cheng (piano)

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Michael Haydn's "Turkish March in C Major".
      "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Joy,
        Delighted you are back! Yes, work never stops, does it? I think that this is the true cost of vacationing, air fare be damned! At least you have some good music to rehabilitate yourself with! If Ludwig doesn;t make you whole, then you need another vacation

P.
        I listened also the Arriagas yesterday, most excellent. You can tell this because after several listenings they don't become less exciting, always the test of good music!

Spacerl,
        No, I never have heard his cello sonatas, I would like to though. CPE Bach music is still pretty rare even in these enlightened times. Ooohhh.. a jazz, vocal Elliot Carter.

Amalie,
        Yes, this has been a hard year for music in general, but I love great fiddlers, and Iona was all of that. One doesn't get where she had got to without being pretty darn good! You are absolutely correct, that is a disk I would be delighted with. I have several Manze disks, I think he is the premiere baroque violinist of our time. Podger ain't bad either! Keep rubbing in that Proms thing and I shall find a "hit man" in London oner the 'Net. Perhaps that clever Batperson chap who climbed Lizzie's balcony the other day...

Andrea,
        Ah, Michael Haydn! Great choice. I sure wish more of his work was recorded. I have liked what I heard so far. Great day to you!

For me, it is Bedrich Smetana, Ma Vlast, yet again. The simple majesty ranging to the intricate beauty of this suite is just lovely, I feel nearly Bohemian upon listening!
        Ya'll have a great day, I will be so busy at work that I may not be back until tonight, but rest assured, I have my music with me!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          King,

For me, it is the late Romantic sound of the steppes of Central Asia, Mikhail Ivanov-Ippolitov - Caucasian Sketches. Nice music!

Methinks I hear an echo! (The Borodin was part of my Sunday listening.) And you may want to check out Bruckner's 6th Symphony; there are thematic relationships to the 4th.

This morning showcased Shapiro's Symphony (finale) and the overture to Candide.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
            Good morning!

Welcome back to the fold Joy! nice to hear from you.

Mendelssohn:
            The Hebrides Overture 0p.26
            Orchestre Symphonique de Laval

Thanks Amalie although I would like to still be on vacation! Great choice Mendelssohn. One of my favourites of his. For me this morning it's Beethoven's Piano Sonata #8 "Pathetique" Stephen Kovacevich, piano. What a way to start the day!

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy,
              Delighted you are back! Yes, work never stops, does it? I think that this is the true cost of vacationing, air fare be damned! At least you have some good music to rehabilitate yourself with! If Ludwig doesn;t make you whole, then you need another vacation

For me, it is Bedrich Smetana, Ma Vlast, yet again. The simple majesty ranging to the intricate beauty of this suite is just lovely, I feel nearly Bohemian upon listening!

I had plenty of good music on my trip. I made certain I brought ol' Ludwig along for sure! I need him while driving those long miles! Also had some Mozart and Bach along with me too! Smetana! Very good choice this morning. Always like to hear that one. As a matter of fact, I just heard it a couple of days ago via radio! Also heard Fidelio's Overture yesterday!
              Later on today via radio it will be Beethoven's Piano Sonata #22 and Bach's Brandenburg #6. Always enjoy listening to Bach's Brandenburgs too! Now, don't work too hard!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 09-15-2004).]

Comment

Now playing Beethoven's Opus 61.The violin Concerto in D Major played by Josef Suk.
                What a beautiful piece of music.
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston

Amalie,
                  Yes, this has been a hard year for music in general, but I love great fiddlers, and Iona was all of that. One doesn't get where she had got to without being pretty darn good! You are absolutely correct, that is a disk I would be delighted with. I have several Manze disks, I think he is the premiere baroque violinist of our time. Podger ain't bad either! Keep rubbing in that Proms thing and I shall find a "hit man" in London oner the 'Net. Perhaps that clever Batperson chap who climbed Lizzie's balcony the other day...

Charming! - I wasn't aware that I was repeating myself.

Now it is Ludwig's delightful Quintet in Eb, for piano and wind. 0p.16
                  Johnathan Biss (piano)

also, Symphony No.3 'Eroica'
                  Philharmonia Orchestra
                  cond. Otto Klemperer

An excellent recording with the tempi just right IMO. It is often said that British orchestra's are often let down by their brass and wind section, but is certainly not the case on this 1956 recording!
                  It is generally acknowledged that the Philharmonia in the 50's under Walter and Klemperer was for a brief period the finest orchestra in the world and perhaps persuaded Karajan to come over for a brief stint, listening to the Klemperer recording you can see why this was with the superlative standards of playing .

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-15-2004).]

Comment

Sorrano,
                    Yes, the 6th is on my list also, I am taking Bruckner slowly because they are so big! 3 & 4 so far, 5 & 6 next. I will listen for that though, thanks!

Joy, well, I do my best to follow that dictum, but sometimes the work comes to you, so ones does as one must Got tunes though! I listened to Brandenburg 1 & 2 on the way home from work tonight too! Boston Baroque/Pearlman, I love that version. The trumpeter in #2 is a crazy man!

Spacerl,
                    Can;t beat that concerto. I have never heard Suk play it, but he is a great Beethoven violinist, IMHO. And Dvorak too.

Amalie,
                    Oh yes, your Batperson is world-famous now! In emoticon language "what an ( * )".
                    No dear, you aren't repeating yourself, I just have an excellent memory and tender sensibilities when it comes to missing something that I would have really liked to see Actually I have been keeping up with the Proms this year, and that is the top of the list of things I missed. So it goes. Great lineup today I see. I have never heard Klemperer conduct B, but have heard a whole lot of good things about him. Guess I'll just have to spend my money and take my chances!

For me now, it is the gorgeous Rondo (Adagio really) in a minor for Piano - K 511 - Amadé - Ingrid Haebler on piano. This is Mozart music from the heart.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sorrano,
                      Yes, the 6th is on my list also, I am taking Bruckner slowly because they are so big! 3 & 4 so far, 5 & 6 next. I will listen for that though, thanks!

Joy, well, I do my best to follow that dictum, but sometimes the work comes to you, so ones does as one must Got tunes though! I listened to Brandenburg 1 & 2 on the way home from work tonight too! Boston Baroque/Pearlman, I love that version. The trumpeter in #2 is a crazy man!

Spacerl,
                      Can;t beat that concerto. I have never heard Suk play it, but he is a great Beethoven violinist, IMHO. And Dvorak too.

Amalie,
                      Oh yes, your Batperson is world-famous now! In emoticon language "what an ( * )".
                      No dear, you aren't repeating yourself, I just have an excellent memory and tender sensibilities when it comes to missing something that I would have really liked to see Actually I have been keeping up with the Proms this year, and that is the top of the list of things I missed. So it goes. Great lineup today I see. I have never heard Klemperer conduct B, but have heard a whole lot of good things about him. Guess I'll just have to spend my money and take my chances!

For me now, it is the gorgeous Rondo (Adagio really) in a minor for Piano - K 511 - Amadé - Ingrid Haebler on piano. This is Mozart music from the heart.

Gurn,
                      You are taking the right approach to Bruckner, slow and easy. Digesting Bruckner is like eating a 10 course meal with a sumptuous dessert at the finish. His 3rd, 4th and 6th are at the top of my list. Right now though it's a cd of works for Winds and Brass by Beethoven.

Comment

Run out of time this am.

Vivaldi:
                        Violin Sonata, 0p.2/3
                        Elizabeth Wallfisch
                        Richard Turncliffe
                        Malcom Proud

coming up will be
                        a piece from Honegger,
                        Cello Concerto
                        Mstislav Rostropovich
                        London Symphony Orchestra

------------------

Comment

My musical schedule today is:
                          Morning: Bach's English & French Suites, Gould on piano.
                          Evening: Vivaldi's 6 flute concertos op. 10 (the english concert, trevor pinnock).
                          Even foreseeing make some good use of Chopin Nocturnes this night to fall in Morpheus' arms.

Comment

King,
                            Yes, these are great bloody chunks of music here, no hard thing to surmise that this man was a symphonist and little else! Nothing bizarre though, I had seen him associated with the liszt/Wagner school, but frankly if that is true, it is not overwhelming. Oh, those Wind Band pieces are super. I love 'em. It was such a surprise when I first heard them, "This is Beethoven??"

Amalie,
                            Run run run girl! Can't be healthy, take time to enjoy your music. No point choking on your Wheatabix!! But anyway aren't those sonatas nice? Op 1 & 2 are greatly undervalued, I think. Later.

atserri,
                            Well, if you must listen to Bach on piano, Gould is your man. As bizarre as he seems in every other composer, his Bach piano works are very nice indeed. Seems odd somehow, but there it is!

For me, I have graduated to Bruckner 5 in Bb. BPO/Barenboim. This is a solid 72 minutes of romantic splendour!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

atserri,
                              Well, if you must listen to Bach on piano, Gould is your man. As bizarre as he seems in every other composer, his Bach piano works are very nice indeed. Seems odd somehow, but there it is!

For me, I have graduated to Bruckner 5 in Bb. BPO/Barenboim. This is a solid 72 minutes of romantic splendour!

[/B]
                              I agree, I'm expanding my Bach collection faster than I can listen to it and Gould is my "reference". I was amazed (as many others) with his goldberg variations. Then, I found that he criticised his own arch-famous 1957 recording for being "childish" and recorded, one week before his death, a more orthodox (relaxed) version. Both are as fantastic as opposite!
                              Since then, I've got already half of the "Glenn GOuld Edition" and generally speaking his Bach is sublime... but since he plays in such a personal way (and with such a personal piano), quite often you think "...hmmmm... let's check out Arrau or someone else!".

Comment

atserri,
                                Yes, I agree, his works are highly individualistic. I have the 80's version of the Goldbergs, it it the only piano version that I have kept. For me, Bach wrote for harpsichord, and I think Trevor Pinnock, for one, has the most elegant and delightful recording of the Goldbergs I ever heard. But as I say, if I am going to have Bach on the piano, Gould works well for me.

And now playing, the Concerto in b minor for Piano & Orchestra - #3 - Op 98 - J. N. Hummel. He must have been an extraodinary pianist, the technical requirements of these concertos are amazing!

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment