HELP!!!what is he saying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!!!what is he saying?

I am a student and writing a paper on what beethoven is saying in some of his works. I have the Passion for Beethoven Cd with Symphony NO 5 in C Minor, Op.67; Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-Sharp minor "Moonlight", Symphony NO. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 "Eroica"; Piano Sonata 8 in C minor "Pathetique; Overture to Egmont Op. 84, Piano Sonata No. 23. in F minor "Appassionata" III Allegro ma non troppo; Leonore OVerture No. 3, Op. 72, and Piano COncerto NO. 5 in E-Flat Major "Emperor" II Adagio un poco moto.
    I was wondering if anyone was willing to give me their imput on what he's saying in any of these pieces. Thanks.

Originally posted by bandgirl:
    I am a student and writing a paper on what beethoven is saying in some of his works. I have the Passion for Beethoven Cd with Symphony NO 5 in C Minor, Op.67; Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-Sharp minor "Moonlight", Symphony NO. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 "Eroica"; Piano Sonata 8 in C minor "Pathetique; Overture to Egmont Op. 84, Piano Sonata No. 23. in F minor "Appassionata" III Allegro ma non troppo; Leonore OVerture No. 3, Op. 72, and Piano COncerto NO. 5 in E-Flat Major "Emperor" II Adagio un poco moto.
    I was wondering if anyone was willing to give me their imput on what he's saying in any of these pieces. Thanks.

I personaly don't think it is programme music in the way that it says anything in particulair....I'd say beethoven expresses his feelings in a kind of global way...no stories but just heartfelt compositions..the populair stories behind the moonlight *especially written for the failed love for a countess named juiletta guicardi* and other often are a later source if imagination..the only story *partially* is about the eroica symphony which beethoven did intend too dedicate too napoleon and in which he sketched the herioc character of the person in some sort of way I'd say...His only REAL piece of music with a pseudo-story is his pastoral symphony which is about a day in the countrylife...but even with this piece beethoven warns the listener NOT too view at it as programme music but rather as emotional portraits of situations...

Should I *undoubdtly* made some mistakes then I'm sure the college-posters will help me out and correct me..

Regards,
    Ruud

------------------
    Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Originally posted by bandgirl:

Perhaps it would be more appropriate to figure out what you are feeling when you listen to these works. That will have a greater impact on you than what one might think he was trying to communicate. And those single movements--you need to listen to them in relationship with the other movements of the entire work to have a better understanding of what is going on.

Comment

Bandgirl,

Nobody here will tell what to write in your paper and I'm sure you wouldn't want that.
        Take Sorrano and Ruudp's advice and also:
        Get some musical/historical perspective. Listen to a symphony and sonata by one of Beethoven's predecessors--Haydn, let's say. And take a look at what was going on politically.
        Here is a strategy for your paper. State your gut reaction to the music. Then compare it briefly to another composer and explain how Beethoven was or was not influenced by events around him. Bingo! Guaranteed "A."

Comment

Working...
        X