Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Piano Sonata Op.54

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

A crisp and neat performance as usual...top notch rod..thnx for the piece...but plzz give me you personal opinion of the piece en general...not the playing but the composition

Regards,
    Ruud

P.s not just rods opinion but all of you..

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
      A crisp and neat performance as usual...top notch rod..thnx for the piece...but plzz give me you personal opinion of the piece en general...not the playing but the composition

Regards,
      Ruud

P.s not just rods opinion but all of you..
      Well about the performace first, I like Badura-Skoda's effort here with the allegretto, but he make a complete mess of the first movement which seems to be beyond the comprehension of any pianist I have heard, authentic or otherwise!

About the work per se, to me any piece by Beethoven is of the first order, simply because of his manner of composition, which is so supremely full of good taste and judgement even before we get to the matters of quality of invention or originality etc. Hence for me it is difficult to make value judgements about any piece in particular.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-04-2004).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

About the work per se, to me any piece by Beethoven is of the first order, simply because of his manner of composition, which is so supremely full of good taste and judgement even before we get to the matters of quality of invention or originality etc. Hence for me it is difficult to make value judgements about any piece in particular.

How about in comparison with the other sonatas?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
          How about in comparison with the other sonatas?
          The most obvious comparison is between the 2 finales of Op.26 and Op.54 which have certain similarities of figuration, but Op.54 is a far more sophisticated piece, a gem which sufferes neglect chiefly on account of its brevity.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

The most obvious comparison is between the 2 finales of Op.26 and Op.54 which have certain similarities of figuration, but Op.54 is a far more sophisticated piece, a gem which sufferes neglect chiefly on account of its brevity.

Yes, one can imagine Beethoven sitting down and playing this piece with fire and energy and technical brilliance.
            I tend to think that the fortepiano is better on the fast pieces.
            It does seem a shame that this is a short piece though.

------------------
            ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

In looking at the piano score because of the key and the contrapuntal activity I am also reminded much of the finale of Op. 10, Nr. 2. Unfortunately I do not have speakers attached to this computer anymore and will have to transfer the music to another machine before I can listen to it. I am looking forwards to all the wonderful examples that have been provided.

Comment

Very enjoyable, as usual. Danke Rod.

It is ashame that you don't hear more about this sonata. I have checked all of my books on Beethoven and I didn't find much written about this sonata. I did find this from Denis Matthews book "Beethoven":

Between the "Waldstein" and the "Appassionata" there lurks a strange and neglected two-movement work, the Sonata in F Op. 54. Yet as an example of Beethoven at his most capriciou it deserves hearing and repays study: a stately minuet-style first movement beset by storming passages in double octaves, thirds and sixths; and a moto perpetuo finale, reminiscent of Op. 26, that runs in and out of a whole gamut of keys with irrepressible energy and humour.

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Working...
                X