Emperor Concerto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emperor Concerto

My CD is fried. Can anyone suggest a good version? I haven't been happy with what I've found so far.

Thanks
    I am woman. Hear me roar!

I the like Fleisher/Szell/Cleveland Orchestra set on Sony Classical. I think you can buy the discs individually (though it is only a three disc set). The disc with the "Emperor" on it also has an excellent version of the Triple Concerto (Istomin/Stern/Rose/Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra).

Comment

My favorite performance is with Bernstein and Serkin, recorded in '62. The finale is quite electrifying in this performance.

Comment

I higly recommend these two (both that couple with the Choral Fantasy):

Baremboin/Klemperer/Philarmonia Orchestra on EMI, a good recording (with all the Klemperer nobility you can get) at low- or mid-price.

Levin/Gardiner/Orchestre Revolutionére et Romantique on DG Archiv, a great recording of the Choral Fantasy, and the Emperor is quite good too, one of the best on period performances.

------------------
        "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
        "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

The Claudio Arrau recording is an excellent version (my opinion)and it's coupled with the 4th piano concerto. This disc has been re-released in the mid price range by Philips.

Comment

I haven't heard it but,judging by his account of the Maestro's 4 and 5 Piano Concerti which I have and adore, the interpretation by Stephen Kovacevich with Sir Colin Davis and the BBC Symphony must, for recent recordings, be fairly unbeatable

------------------
            Love from London
            Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
              I haven't heard it but,judging by his account of the Maestro's 4 and 5 Piano Concerti which I have and adore, the interpretation by Stephen Kovacevich with Sir Colin Davis and the BBC Symphony must, for recent recordings, be fairly unbeatable

I like very much what Davis has done with Berlioz, Haydn, and Handel but have not heard much with Beethoven. I will have to look for his interpretation of the 5th Concerto. Sounds intriguing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

I like very much what Davis has done with Berlioz, Haydn, and Handel but have not heard much with Beethoven. I will have to look for his interpretation of the 5th Concerto. Sounds intriguing to me.
                I think you will find it (as with 4 and 5) on Philips Virtuoso If my memory serves me well you will find the Maestro's Piano Concerto 30 on the same CD

------------------
                Love from London
                Love from London

Comment

Working...
                X