What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spaceray:

Ouch!So what work are they talking about here?

'Ouch' is right!! They were pretty harsh to our dear Ludwig in those days. Reading your critics on him make me wonder why they were so negative? Anyway, he showed them, didn't he?

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy,
      In his very interesting introduction to the Lexicon of Invective,Nicolas Slonimsky takes some effort to explain why there is non-acceptance of the unfamiliar.It is not just that the negitive reviews seem more amusing to read and it is human nature to want to be amused.He also talks about unfamiliar customs and unfamiliar unpronounceable language.
      He quotes Samuel Butler "The only things we really hate are unfamiliar things."
      I suppose that sums up how people reacted to Beethoven's later work while he still lived. Of course these days if a Beethoven work gets a nasty review it is always due to the players ,the composer's genius is never doubted. That's just as it should be.
      spacerl
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Pastorali,
        You do have a way with words, mein Freund! I knew if I committed myself to anything that some would be disappointed, but Joy made me do it, you should get after her!

I have been known to be a bit of a trouble maker from time to time, in fact, my nickname was 'trouble' in my heyday! By the way, Gurn, I would add Bernard Roberts to that list as well!!

Reading your previous posts you gave me a taste for Beethoven's Symphony #2 today (maybe also his 7th) so that shall be on the 'menu' for today's listening pleasure!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
          Joy,
          In his very interesting introduction to the Lexicon of Invective,Nicolas Slonimsky takes some effort to explain why there is non-acceptance of the unfamiliar.It is not just that the negitive reviews seem more amusing to read and it is human nature to want to be amused.He also talks about unfamiliar customs and unfamiliar unpronounceable language.
          He quotes Samuel Butler "The only things we really hate are unfamiliar things."
          I suppose that sums up how people reacted to Beethoven's later work while he still lived. Of course these days if a Beethoven work gets a nasty review it is always due to the players ,the composer's genius is never doubted. That's just as it should be.
          spacerl
          Thanks Muriel for that information. I agree with you that's as it should be!

------------------

Comment

As for the Haydn, I listened to #102 last night, but haven't heard #40 yet. I am curious, with #39 being considered kind of radical, does he become reactionary in #40 and seem concervative, or is he hanging it out there too? Well, either way, along with that lovely trio, you have some good listening ahead. Also, that is my still current favorite version of the violin sonata, how does it sit with you?

[/B]
            Regarding Haydn's Symphony #40 I'm afraid I'd have to listen to his #39 back to back to see if he becomes 'reactionary', all I know is I liked it! That was a very good version of the violin sonata, haven't heard too many different versions to compare it with though.
            As for this afternoon it's the great Piano Concerto No. 3 in c Op 37 with Conductor Riccardo Muti and the The Philharmonia Orchestra, Sviatoslav Richter, piano. One of my favourites.

------------------

Comment

Dvorak - Symphony #7 op.70, Hüttenbrenner - Requiem c-moll and now Arriaga - String Quartets.

Comment

Joy,
                I could no tdo that, not only to stay within your strict guidelines ( ) but also because I regrettably have never seen or heard the man's name before! ???? But of course, that means nothing. Why am I not surprised that your previous name was trouble? Great about the 2nd, I went you one better earlier and listened to the 3rd and 4th! You will need to now go to the 6th to outdo me! I tried this with Ruud last weekend and only made him grumpy so we'll see how it works on you! Ah yes, see your difficulty with that symphony thing. I will soon be able to make my own comparison, as I am seriously contemplating a rectification of my Haydn symphony deficit. Ah, Richter. BTW, is he still among us? Or has he "gone off"? That could change my thinking a bit.

Pastor Ali,
                Ah, Symphony #7, excellent choice! And is it Bohemian enough for you? And then the fiery Spaniard, the Castillian Mozart. Splendid. So you must be ready for the weekend then.

For me, it is the Symphony in e minor - #4 - Op 98 - Johannes Brahms. Energico e passionato!

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Joy,
                  I could no tdo that, not only to stay within your strict guidelines ( ) but also because I regrettably have never seen or heard the man's name before! ???? But of course, that means nothing. Why am I not surprised that your previous name was trouble? Great about the 2nd, I went you one better earlier and listened to the 3rd and 4th! You will need to now go to the 6th to outdo me! I tried this with Ruud last weekend and only made him grumpy so we'll see how it works on you! Ah yes, see your difficulty with that symphony thing. I will soon be able to make my own comparison, as I am seriously contemplating a rectification of my Haydn symphony deficit. Ah, Richter. BTW, is he still among us? Or has he "gone off"? That could change my thinking a bit.

Pastor Ali,
                  Ah, Symphony #7, excellent choice! And is it Bohemian enough for you? And then the fiery Spaniard, the Castillian Mozart. Splendid. So you must be ready for the weekend then.

For me, it is the Symphony in e minor - #4 - Op 98 - Johannes Brahms. Energico e passionato!

My DEAR Gurn,
                  I wasn't grumpy AT all because of your remark I merely *didn't succeed though* tried too be humourous aswell...But too beat YA'ALL this weekend I've set myself too a OUTSTANDING and fulfulling quest..ALL of beethovens symphonies in ONE weekend..Chronographically starting TODAY with the first one..
                  How do you know were too find these unknown composers joy?
                  I've been playing clementi again today *yes on me own pianoforte* op.36 nr.3 and.6 SOO lovely and quite difficult for me asyet..I'm still a novice..

Best Regards,
                  Ruud

Comment

Georges Bizet's Symphony in C Major. What a wonderful work from a seventeen year old. It remained unperformed for 80 years. It was Felix Weingartner who led the first performance in 1935. To bad he didn't compose more symphonies.....

Comment

Ruud,
                      Oh, I knew that, I was only trying to provoke both you and Joy at the same time, because this is what I do! Easy to provoke one, more of a challenge to get two at once! I have to admit, that is a most worthwhile project, and I will have to go a long way to match it! And of course will never match your Clementi feat, that is simply too much for me. Some day I will see you play in concert, yes? I have already sent you some fan mail tonight!

King,
                      Is that the only symphony or anything Bizet wrote?? Other than Carmen and maybe a Requiem or some other masses, I don't know even a single thing that he did!! Of course, Carmen is so good he didn't really need to do anything else, so that is all a bonus.

Well, my lineup this evening is all the opera (opusses??) from #20, the Septet, to #31, the piano sonatas, including:
                      Symphony #1, Op 21
                      piano sonata Op 22,
                      2 Violin sonatas op 23 & 24,
                      the flute serenade Op 25
                      Piano sonata Op 26
                      2 Piano Sonatas Op 27 (This is where I am right now, Op 27 #1)
                      Piano Sonata Op 28
                      String Quintet Op 29
                      3 Violin Sonatas Op 30
                      3 Piano Sonatas Op 31

That, my friends, is the heart of the order! Ruud, I admit, it is not the Wondrous 9, but not bad either

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn,
                        Yes, Bizet composed only one symphony and like I said it is a youthful work. This brings to mind others with only one or two symphonies, Arriaga 1, Wagner 1 and 2/3, Gounod 2, Weber 2, Franck 1, Chausson 1,Dukas 1, Smetana composed 1 that I know and have heard, Richard Strauss composed a symphony in F. I would imagine there are more but none come to mind at the present time.

Comment

Ruud,
                          Oh, I knew that, I was only trying to provoke both you and Joy at the same time, because this is what I do! Easy to provoke one, more of a challenge to get two at once! I have to admit, that is a most worthwhile project, and I will have to go a long way to match it! And of course will never match your Clementi feat, that is simply too much for me. Some day I will see you play in concert, yes? I have already sent you some fan mail tonight!

King,
                          Is that the only symphony or anything Bizet wrote?? Other than Carmen and maybe a Requiem or some other masses, I don't know even a single thing that he did!! Of course, Carmen is so good he didn't really need to do anything else, so that is all a bonus.

Well, my lineup this evening is all the opera (opusses??) from #20, the Septet, to #31, the piano sonatas, including:
                          Symphony #1, Op 21
                          piano sonata Op 22,
                          2 Violin sonatas op 23 & 24,
                          the flute serenade Op 25
                          Piano sonata Op 26
                          2 Piano Sonatas Op 27 (This is where I am right now, Op 27 #1)
                          Piano Sonata Op 28
                          String Quintet Op 29
                          3 Violin Sonatas Op 30
                          3 Piano Sonatas Op 31

That, my friends, is the heart of the order! Ruud, I admit, it is not the Wondrous 9, but not bad either

Quite the impressive task oyu set yourself too gurn ALL the opera from 20 onwards too 31, A busy weekend you'll have...won't flog be hindered by that though ???I forgot too mention the dance of the hours by amiciello ponchielli *something like that anyway* on thursday, They played it on the radio in the morning a GOOD wake up call that was...Any minute now it'll be the 2nd symphony by our revered master pacing on too the 3th and further down the path ...Btw gurn I could give you a link with which you could Download clementi's sonatines for sheetmusic..perhaps you could learn too play them..www.sheetmusicarchive.net Acrobat reader is needed too view and print the scores..Good luck

Ruud

------------------
                          Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

I dig a bit through #18 Mozart Edition 'Canons' - Chamber Choir of Europe/Nicol Matt

Then right after I will cook for my family accomplished by the Naxos disk W.A. Mozart - Overtures. It will be a well tasting meal (hopefully)

Gauli Mauli

Comment

\m
                              Originally posted by Pastorali:
                              I dig a bit through #18 Mozart Edition 'Canons' - Chamber Choir of Europe/Nicol Matt

Then right after I will cook for my family accomplished by the Naxos disk W.A. Mozart - Overtures. It will be a well tasting meal (hopefully)

Gauli Mauli
                              Pray tell us the meaning of Gauli Mauli dear Pastorali?
                              Is 'Mauli' the God of health?

Included in this mornings listening line-up:

Mozart's Symphony no.31, in D, K297, 'Paris'
                              Orchestra of the 18th century.
                              Frans Bruggen, cond.

Brahms, Sextet no.2 in G, 0p.36
                              Isaac Stern and ensemble

Schubert, Piano Trio in Eb, D929,
                              Trio Fontenay.
                              I undersand this lovely piece was performed about 6 months before Schubert died.

Shostakovich: Jazz Suite no.2, - Waltz 2
                              Philadelphia Orchestra

Shostakovich: String Quartet, no.8,
                              Brodsky Quartet.

------------------
                              ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-28-2004).]
                              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Guten morgen, Alles,
                                King,
                                I didn't know that Dukas or Smetana even composed 1 each, so those are surprises. This topic sort of puts me in mind of all the great composers who only did one violin concerto, e.g. - Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Sibelius etc., almost as though they were fulfilling some sort of composers requirement. Hmmm...

Ruud,
                                Yes, it is a lot, but not hard work! In fact now I am nearly completed, and ready for 33 - 42. This has been my standard way to listen to music for many years, because it allows such a wide variety, symphony, concerto, sonata etc. And one can't get tired of Beethoven anyway, so it is perfect! I have that sheet music place already, but one musn't overlook the basic issue: I don't play piano! I would like to, but I fear that a have left it a bit late, I can barely pick out Chopsticks, and anything beyond a few lovely chords that have caught my fancy over the years is too much for me. So it goes

P.
                                So, canons and overturen, good to get on with.
                                Cara mia Schluck und Druck,
                                When you ever learned to cook?
                                Gauli Mauli, so much fun,
                                When the little wurst are done!

Guten Dag, mein guter Freund.

Amalie,
                                I think this was Mozart's inspiration to Little Richard, as in "Good Gauli, Miss Mauli"
                                I am so pleased to see this morning's emphasis on chamber music. If I can see anyone to turn over the orchestral leaf, I am considering it a victory! Yes, about the Schubert, and it was one of the few works of his that was actually performed in his lifetime! His beautiful C major Quintet was first performed more than 50 years after his death!! Talk about "unloved in his lifetime", Franzrl fills the bill!

For me, I have advanced all the way to the G major Piano Sonata - #16 - Op 31 #1 - Alfred Brendel playing it. Such a lovely trip from the Septet to here so far, I hope others of you will take it also!

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment