Clear All

Elegischer Gesang op.118
    Ah! Perfido op.65
    Primo amore WoO 92
    perfect, imho

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      v.
      I only hace DSCH 2 & 4, and by odd coincidence I was playing them last thing last night. Along qith Bartok's, they are the best of the 20th century, I think.

VC,
      So I am not alone today, so nice! I think you see the potential for a fine tradition, eh? And also, that I was right about that Mendelssohn. I'm pleased that Ruud was able to point you at a lace to listen to it!.

Amalie,
      What can I say? It sounds like a perfect evening of time travel! Manze is my favorite fiddler, I have a few of his CD's and have heard some others, including the Rebel and the Duo with Podger. That is a first-rate Bach. Crikey, what more could one ask?

Ruud,
      Well, if you are imaginative, you could have listened to the 3rd and 6th, or the 4th and 5th... I will say, #2 is my favorite Hungarian Rhapsody of the 12. I don't have it for solo piano, but I have it by Ivan Fischer and his little Hungarian orchestra on authentic instruments, and I suspect it is nearly as dramatic.

Andrea,
      An excellent Sunday morning, no? And some good Haydn to make it perfect. Wunderbar!
      Ihr guter Freund,

And for me, of course, it is the powerful Symphony in d minor - #9 - Op 125 - Beethoven - Hanover Band/Goodman. This is a pretty darn excellent performance, I must say.

Well gurn as you might have guessed already i'm not that imaginitive right now it's the sonatas Kv 309,310,311 by mozart..in A minor D major and C major performed by klara würtz...Because I don't want the good people from this forum too miss out on a treat I'm gonna Give you the link which will directly take you too the 2nd hungarian rhapsody of liszt performed by Alfred Brendel http://www.avroklassiek.nl/luisterka...ker/030722.asp Just follow this one..click on the pointer disguised as a earshell and ENJOY...I hope you'll find this rendition too your liking..
      Regards,
      Ruud

Comment

Amalie,
        Yes, but if you CAN get tix, I will get my passport and be there. Let me know!

Joy,
        Yes, I like the Williams too, I recall when it debuted at the 1984 Games in LA. Bot to overlook the "Ode to You" in favor of Mahler's 6th Symphony is just a travesty! How is that Smetana? Never heard it, in fact never heard anything of his beyond "Ma Vlast" and the "Bartered Bride Overture". Is it in a similar vein?

Pastor Ali,
        Well, I am pleased that one among us upholds the fine tradition of Beethoven vocal music. I am especially pleased that it is you! Ah! Perfido

Ruud,
        Well, it was just an idea, such as occurs at 7 AM! Thanks for the link too, I will try it from work tomorrow morning on my fast connection. Here at home it will play 2 notes, then stop...

For me, it is the Trio in D major for Piano & Strings - #7 - Hob. 15:7 - Trio 1790. Without Haydn, where would we be?

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Listening to the Toscanini version of Beethoven's 8th Symphony. Certainly one of the most dynamic interpretations I have ever heard.

Comment

Good Monday morning all..

Ah, lovely Ludwig!

Ah, Perfido! Sung by Gre Brouwenstun (soprano), 1951 recording.

Pastorali, could you tell me which version you have please?

B's 12 variations on a theme by Handel, 'see the conquering hero comes' Wo0 45.
            Jaqueline Du Pre (cello)
            Barenboim (piano)

Rameau, premiere 23 Aug. 1735
            Overture to the Divertissment,
            des Indes Galamtes.
            Stradivaria
            Daniel Cuiller(director)

Gurn, you will miss Tee off if you go to the concert! I am sure Any stray tickets will be like goldust!

Sorrano, Beethoven's 8th under Tuscanini sounds terrific! which CD please?
            I have an old recording of Toscanini conducting Beethoven's 9th.

Ruud, I tried the link to Brendel playing Liszt, but couldn't get the sound.

------------------
            ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-23-2004).]
            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Not long ago I picked up a remastered set of the Toscanini Beethoven Symphonies. The 8th is from that set as well as the 9th which I listened to after. BMG sells the set, I believe, but it's probably available in many other places, too. The sound has been cleaned up remarkably well and it is very crisp and clear. I found the 9th to be exhilarating.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Ah, lovely Ludwig!

Ah, Perfido! Sung by Gre Brouwenstun (soprano), 1951 recording.

Pastorali, could you tell me which version you have please?

B's 12 variations on a theme by Handel, 'see the conquering hero comes' Wo0 45.
                Jaqueline Du Pre (cello)
                Barenboim (piano)

Rameau, premiere 23 Aug. 1735
                Overture to the Divertissment,
                des Indes Galamtes.
                Stradivaria
                Daniel Cuiller(director)

Gurn, you will miss Tee off if you go to the concert! I am sure Any stray tickets will be like goldust!

Ruud, I tried the link to Brendel playing Liszt, but couldn't get the sound.

goshh....I;m sorry to hear that amalie...perhaps there 2 things you can do...install a newer version of windows mediaplayer available at www.microsoft.com OR the following could be the problem..you're computer responds too friendly httpmessages...you should do the follwing then..click on tools on your computer *my computer/configuration/tools* then click on internetoptions go to advanced and put the dart OFF off the show friendly http-messages...that helped me out of the problem..soo once again...go too tools go to internet options...goo to advanced and click on the dot/line on show friendly http messages thus removing it...,it will do no harm too your pc...
                Best of luck with that..

for me it's been a unusual treat on the radio...tsjaikovksi's opera Jolanda and his 3th stringquartet op.30 in E flat minor were perfomed...sublime music..it has also been the sorceres apprentice by paul dukas and right now it's the mp3 by rod..sounds good although a bit fast imho...

Regards,
                Ruud

P.s Gurn how did the rhapsody sound or didn't it work on you aswell??

Comment

Sorrano,
                  Well, if you keep talking about htis Toscanini I shall have to buy it myself to see But it is hard to go wrong with the 8th, it is truly one of B's special works, and hardly appreciated by the majority of listeners.

Amalie,
                  Ah, that lovely Handellian Variations piece. I have never heard that version, but I imagine that it is as inspired as her other playings with DB. And really, do you think I wouldn't miss a round of golf for a chance to go to the Proms and see the 160th consecutive performance of the 9th? Anyway, Scotland is just around the corner, just nip over and play 18, back right again. I think it can work.

Ruud,
                  Well, I can't get it either, I tried those little adjustments as you say, but I think that the firewall on our corporate server won't let me bring in streaming media. Oh well, I am used to disappointment Good to see that you have found yourself some good listening though. I like that Tchai's 3rdc quartet too, and who can't like Dukas? I can see Mickey now...

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                    VC,
                    You're very welcome..the ninth no less...can't say I can top that..it's been the 1st and 3th symphony by beethoven today for me aswell as the 2nd hungarian rhapsody in c sharp minor by liszt performed by Alfred Brendel, mozarts sonata Kv,457 in C minor by klara würtz and painting nr9 and 10 from the exhibits by moussorgsky by yevgeny kissin...Perhaps later on the scherZo or final movement of the ninth..the whole is a bit collosal I'm afraid ..

Regards,
                    Ruud
                    It's collosal allright! And to think that Beethoven wrote that when his deafness had progressed so far. Shows his amazing genius to create super-structures of compositions!

That Mozart sonata K.457 is also a favourite of mine, and I like the Hungarian Rhapsody no.2 by Liszt too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

VC,
                      So I am not alone today, so nice! I think you see the potential for a fine tradition, eh? And also, that I was right about that Mendelssohn. I'm pleased that Ruud was able to point you at a lace to listen to it!.

And for me, of course, it is the powerful Symphony in d minor - #9 - Op 125 - Beethoven - Hanover Band/Goodman. This is a pretty darn excellent performance, I must say.

Oh definitely!!! And yes, it's so good to hear the sounds of Mendellsohn!

At the moment I am listening to the Hungarian Rhapsody no.2 (Liszt) as played by Brendel. He does a real nice job of it I must say! I have read somewhere that apparently Horowitz is famous for his performance of this piece, but I have not heard it myself though.

Previously today I listened to Bach's Concerto in D minor for 2 violins, the A minor violin concerto and the E major violin concerto. Delightful!

Comment

I hope you all had a good start into the week...

Amalie: The version I got is from CBE #18 - Cheryl Studer, Sopran - Claudio Abbado - Berliner Philharmoniker - Splendid, imho

Gurn, WAYLTN? secretly listenings to some sopranos, häää?

Franzl 'Schwammrl' Schubert - Adagio and Rondo concertante D.487 in F major.

Comment

Originally posted by Vipercat:
                          It's collosal allright! And to think that Beethoven wrote that when his deafness had progressed so far. Shows his amazing genius to create super-structures of compositions!

That Mozart sonata K.457 is also a favourite of mine, and I like the Hungarian Rhapsody no.2 by Liszt too.
                          it lookst as though our tastes match ...I've right now been playing the kv.457 sonata..but not right zasd yet..the triplets are too difficult but the framework is generally sounding alright already..I find it strange that it does work with you *the music files* but not with the others...

As another treath these are some OTHER files from the site I recommended earlier on..just click on the titles..ignore the dutch anecdotes click on the earshell and enjoy TOP NOTCH performances
                          http://www.avroklassiek.nl/luisterka...klaskraker.asp

Regards, Ruud..p.s mickey also wriggles in my mind every time I hear the sorcereres apprentice great movie isn't it Gurn..and others....

Comment

VC,
                            Well, good listening there too. I like those Bachs, but I am still jealous about Amalie seeing them performed live by my favorite violinist last week so I can't enjoy them for a while now Nah! they are always good

Pastrl,
                            No, I was listening to Bruckner 6 really, and I didn't just want to bring everyone down for no good reason, but there, now you have forced me That Schubert sounds interesting. Are those for orchestra? Hmmm...

Ruud,
                            Yes, I think it is a great movie, I even still pull it out and watch sometimes! They even manage to make Debussy sound OK

For now though, since Pastorali insists on knowing, it is the Symphony in D major - #1 - "Titan" - by Gustav Mahler. Polish National RSO/Halász - "Kräftig bewegt, doch nicht zu schnell" - This is how I am learning my German! P., are you sorry you asked now?

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 08-23-2004).]
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                              it lookst as though our tastes match ...I've right now been playing the kv.457 sonata..but not right zasd yet..the triplets are too difficult but the framework is generally sounding alright already..I find it strange that it does work with you *the music files* but not with the others...

As another treath these are some OTHER files from the site I recommended earlier on..just click on the titles..ignore the dutch anecdotes click on the earshell and enjoy TOP NOTCH performances
                              http://www.avroklassiek.nl/luisterka...klaskraker.asp

Regards, Ruud..p.s mickey also wriggles in my mind every time I hear the sorcereres apprentice great movie isn't it Gurn..and others....
                              Well, I am really glad the music files work so well with my computer because usually with other media devices like RealPlayer or so it never wanted to work in the past!

I also played K.457 some time ago and yes I agree it IS hard to play well!! Keep up the good practising, in the end you are gonna love the experience of playing it

Thanks again for the link and I really appreciate the listening experience!

Comment

Back from 3 weeks holiday with a sprained ankle but a heart full of gladness and a belly full of beer The Maestro's Piano Sonata No 31 in A flat major Wilhelm Kempff

Wonderful and ever thankful for this perfect music

------------------
                                Love from London
                                Love from London

Comment

Working...
                                X