No announcement yet.

What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephen, that sounds like a wonderful CD you found! I shall ahve to look into it as I love the Baroque era.

VC, Beethoven's Triple Concerto is a great piece! Give it a listen one day. As a matter of fact, The Symphony here will be performing that along with Beethoven's mighty 5th on it's opening night of performances this fall which I plan to attend! Should be a great evening!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I'm listening to The St Lawrence String Quartet play two pieces of Robert Schumann from opus 41.the no3 in A major and the no 1 in A minor.

Here is a bad review from the Athenaeum,London,1856
      "Like other so-called innovators,Dr Schumann is essentially as trivial in idea and as poor in resource as the most intolerable of the Philistines"

They didn't think much of him in Paris either
      This from Le Menestrel 1863
      " The music of Schumann lacks clarity...The disorder and confusion at times invade even his best pages as-alas!- they invaded his brain."
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Joy,
        Indeed, that is the place to go for info, it is just that unless I write them down they are soon gone; old, you know? O, Fortuna! Carmina Burana, eh? I like it, but hear so many bits and pieces of it here and there (US Open Tennis ads right now!) that I don't feel the need to look it up any further :/ Do you also hear at the Olympics "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Copland? It is there. I kinda like it, it was commissioned back during WWII by the Cincinnati Symphony. Nice piece. By the way, we shall be expecting a full report on that concert in due time. Sounds like a peach!

Spacerl,
        That review sounds so typical of the conservative facton of any sort of endeavour. Schumann truly WAS cutting edge, although those SQ's were already 14 years old by the time of that review And leave it to the French guy to get in the low blow about his insanity, which came about long after the SQ's were history! Those who can, do. Those who cannot, criticize.

For me, it is the lovely Trio in C major for 2 Oboes & English Horn - Op 87 - L. van Bettofen. Marvelous little chamber work for those who love woodwinds.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

VC, Beethoven's Triple Concerto is a great piece! Give it a listen one day. As a matter of fact, The Symphony here will be performing that along with Beethoven's mighty 5th on it's opening night of performances this fall which I plan to attend! Should be a great evening!

Definitely, it sounds great!!
          Well, I'm gonna search for a good recording of the Triple Concerto plus I must definitely get my hands on some Mendelssohn since I have absolutely none to date

Comment

Originally posted by Vipercat:
            Definitely, it sounds great!!
            Well, I'm gonna search for a good recording of the Triple Concerto plus I must definitely get my hands on some Mendelssohn since I have absolutely none to date

VC,
            Follow this link,It will take you too a dutch site on which concerts are published..you can listen too these freely mendelssohn is also represented, you just look at the composers and then click on the corresponding black line...windows media-player is required and will automatically start the concert you picked...it areall live concerts..I'm right now listening via this site too poulencs concerto for 2 pianos and chaussons symphony in b flat major...mendelssohns works on this site include the scottish symphony aswell as the concerto for piano violin and stringorchestra as well as beethoven's 5th and 7th symphony..
            Best of luck with this link,

Ruud

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:

VC,
              Follow this link,It will take you too a dutch site on which concerts are published..you can listen too these freely mendelssohn is also represented, you just look at the composers and then click on the corresponding black line...windows media-player is required and will automatically start the concert you picked...it areall live concerts..I'm right now listening via this site too poulencs concerto for 2 pianos and chaussons symphony in b flat major...mendelssohns works on this site include the scottish symphony aswell as the concerto for piano violin and stringorchestra as well as beethoven's 5th and 7th symphony..

Ruud
              http://www.avroklassiek.nl/luisterkamer/zoc_eerder.asp here is the link i forgot it first time

Comment

Still listening to Shostakovich. Quartets 2 & 3:
                Emerson Quartet.

------------------
                v russo
                v russo

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:

VC,

Ruud
                  Thanks Ruud, very nice of you to tell me about it. It is working very well, and I love the Mendelssohn concerto for violin, piano and strings they put on. Wow, great harmonies and rhythms.

Well, good morning to all of you! To start off this lovely Sunday morning, it is Beethoven Symphony no. 9 in D minor Op. 125!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Vipercat (edited 08-22-2004).]

Comment

Saturday night at the Proms, An evening for Baroque lovers.

My Husband and I attended a brilliant Proms concert once again at The Royal Albert Hall. We were treated to a wonderful feast of Baroque gems! performed by the exquisite English Concert Orchestra and Choir/ lead by Andrew Manze.

The concert openened with:
                    Handel's Wonderful Coronation Anthem 'my heart is inditing,

Thomas Arne, Three Arias,
                    1. Fly, soft ideas, fly,
                    2. Let not rage, thy bosom firing.
                    3. The soldier, tir'd of war's alarms.

Now for the show stopper !
                    J.S. Bach, Double violin Concerto in D minor, BWV 1043.

This duo violin piece was played by the two most outstanding violinists, Andrew Manze and Rachel Podger, magnificently played with extraordinary agility and vigour! Simply the finest 'live' violin performance I have heard and seen at such close quarters.

Then an unusual lovely piece by, REBEL:
                    Les elemens - Le cahos, (1737)
                    A suite on the subject of the elements.
                    Of its ll movements, the most remarkable if th first, which depicts Chaos, in the words of Rebel's forword, 'that confusion which reigned among the Elements before the moment when, subject immutable laws, they assumed their priscribed places within natural order.
                    The piec opens with one of the boldest strokes in all Baroque music, a crashing dissonant chord containg all the notes of the D minor scale. From this, the four elements gradually disentangle themselves and become recognisable.: Earth throbbing notes in the bass, water by calmly rising and falling flute lines, Air by pauses and excitable trills on piccolos.

The evening ended with
                    VIVALDI's exuberant celebration to God.
                    Gloria in D major, RV 589
                    Full of Vivaldi's dynamic subtlety!
                    conducted by Andrew Manze.

A wonderful evening indeed, as with the magnificent Brendel evening. More concerts coming up later and into the new year with Beethoven Explored!

I'm sure joy will enjoy her 'live' concert performance of Beethoven's 5th, I have one lined up too!

Only the Creme de la creme for this site!

Wish you could all have been there last night, I know Gurn would have loved the violin duo.

Right via Radio I am listen to a wonderful rendition of, Vivaldi's Concerto no.3, C minor, played by Andrew Manze.
                    English Concert Orchestra.
                    Harmonia Mundi.

Caldara:
                    Crucifixus, a 16 voci,
                    Balthasar-Neumann Chor,
                    Michael Bahringer.

------------------
                    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-22-2004).]
                    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                      Saturday night at the Proms, An evening for Baroque lovers.

My Husband and I attended a brilliant Proms concert once again at The Royal Albert Hall. We were treated to a wonderful feast of Baroque gems! performed by the exquisite English Concert Orchestra and Choir/ lead by Andrew Manze.

Saw this on tv last night Amalie and yes a very fine concert - I particularly enjoyed the Handel and Arne arias, but The Bach was excellent as you say.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Vipercat:
                        Thanks Ruud, very nice of you to tell me about it. It is working very well, and I love the Mendelssohn concerto for violin, piano and strings they put on. Wow, great harmonies and rhythms.

Well, good morning to all of you! To start off this lovely Sunday morning, it is Beethoven Symphony no. 9 in D minor Op. 125!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Vipercat (edited 08-22-2004).]
                        VC,
                        You're very welcome..the ninth no less...can't say I can top that..it's been the 1st and 3th symphony by beethoven today for me aswell as the 2nd hungarian rhapsody in c sharp minor by liszt performed by Alfred Brendel, mozarts sonata Kv,457 in C minor by klara würtz and painting nr9 and 10 from the exhibits by moussorgsky by yevgeny kissin...Perhaps later on the scherZo or final movement of the ninth..the whole is a bit collosal I'm afraid ..

Regards,
                        Ruud

Comment

Franz Joseph Haydn's Symphonies #22, 29 and 60.

Comment

v.
                            I only hace DSCH 2 & 4, and by odd coincidence I was playing them last thing last night. Along qith Bartok's, they are the best of the 20th century, I think.

VC,
                            So I am not alone today, so nice! I think you see the potential for a fine tradition, eh? And also, that I was right about that Mendelssohn. I'm pleased that Ruud was able to point you at a lace to listen to it!.

Amalie,
                            What can I say? It sounds like a perfect evening of time travel! Manze is my favorite fiddler, I have a few of his CD's and have heard some others, including the Rebel and the Duo with Podger. That is a first-rate Bach. Crikey, what more could one ask?

Ruud,
                            Well, if you are imaginative, you could have listened to the 3rd and 6th, or the 4th and 5th... I will say, #2 is my favorite Hungarian Rhapsody of the 12. I don't have it for solo piano, but I have it by Ivan Fischer and his little Hungarian orchestra on authentic instruments, and I suspect it is nearly as dramatic.

Andrea,
                            An excellent Sunday morning, no? And some good Haydn to make it perfect. Wunderbar!
                            Ihr guter Freund,

And for me, of course, it is the powerful Symphony in d minor - #9 - Op 125 - Beethoven - Hanover Band/Goodman. This is a pretty darn excellent performance, I must say.

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                              Saw this on tv last night Amalie and yes a very fine concert - I particularly enjoyed the Handel and Arne arias, but The Bach was excellent as you say.

I am pleased you enjoyed this Proms programme Peter, I particularly love Handel arias too, they were beautifully sung. The performance of Bach's concerto for two violins by Andrew Manze/Rachel Podger was phenomenal.
                              Did you like the REBEL piece ? I did.
                              I also like observing the instruments being played, I was quite interested to see the Theorbo played, it has quite a long neck
                              to it, about 3ft, I should think.
                              Can't imagine the player carrying that on a Routemaster bus

Sunday Sept. the 5th at the Proms - fully booked needless to say, One of my big favourite orchestra's, The Berlin Philharmoniker Orchestra will be performing Beethoven's life affirming Ninth Symphony conducted by Simon Rattle.

I think one would be lucky to get standing space for this one.

------------------
                              ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                                [B)
                                Joy,Do you also hear at the Olympics "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Copland? It is there. I kinda like it, it was commissioned back during WWII by the Cincinnati Symphony. Nice piece.

[/B]
                                Hi Gurn, I also enjoy Copland's 'Fanfare' and also don't forget John Williams 'Olympic Theme' which they've played. I don't know if you saw the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics but I was disappointed that Greece neglected to play Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy' as is tradition. What an oversight!

For my listening pleasure today via radio is Smetana's Symphonic Poem, "Vysehrad" with conductor Karel Ancerl and the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra. Also Beethoven Piano Sonata #16. Later, of course, more of the Olympic Theme!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 08-22-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                                X