No announcement yet.

What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This afternoon I heard via radio Schubert's Symphony No. 2 in B-Flat D 125 with Claudio Abbado and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe. This sounds very Beethovian to me especially the first movement. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
    Also today Beethoven's Consecration of the House and to wake up this morning with Leonore #1 was very pleasant.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Amalie,
      I find 3 disks of Wölfl's works available in the states, but none of them are Op 6. They are piano sonatas and one piano/cello "Grand Duo" (sonata??) but they are Op 25 and 33 and a couple of other trifles. I should imagine that your side of the pond is more likely to have things by him, just be sure when you do a search (like at HRH) that you use the "Wölfl" with the diaresis and not the transliteration "Woelfl", because my search engine returned nothing with that. Do let me know if you find any, my curiousity is piqued now!
      As for Tony, well, he needs ragging too, he gets no exemption just for being a splendid fellow!

Joy,
      Dear, even though I may agree with you on works sounding Beethovenian (or Mozartian), I don't think that I will commit myself on it again! Ah, the overturen, indeed an excellent wakeup.

For me it is the March in C major for Piano 4 hands - Op 45 #3 - Louis Beethoven. Interesting little bits of work these. I like 4 hands music, it really gives the piano a lot of things going on, most interesting.

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

My evening is 100% beethoven:
        Piano sonatas no. 24 & 29
        Violin sonatas no. 2 & 9 (where I'm now, it's my my first hearing and they're just amazing)
        And a cd of small works played on Beethoven's Broadwood piano in Hungarian National Museum by Andras Schiff I just bought and looks very promising.

Comment

W.A. Mozart - Thamos, König in Ägypten KV.345 (336a) Splendid!

Comment

Schubert's Symphony #9.

------------------
            There are far worse things awaiting man than death.
            "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
              *GASP* rach's 2 AND 3th concerto...you've GOT them?? I wish I had them aswell..the 3th in particular seems to be VERY virtuosic and beautifull...the 2nd I've purchased a month ago..It was on a cd featuring klara würtz playing Schumanns only pianoconcerto in A minor and the 2nd rach..It also contained another cd with piano works by: liszt,debussy,chopin and schubert...Liszt:his mephistowaltz,waldesrauschen,gnomenreichen,play of the fountainwater.Chopin:Ballad in g minor op.23 and his barcarolle in F sharp major..Debussy les isles voyeuse, Schubert the rosamunde impromptu..lovely music..
              For me it's erlkönig in the liszt transcription, the kreutzersonata..
              and I've played some clementi again and improvised a piece in a minor and F major

Regards,
              Ruud

Yes, the artist is Bernd Glemser. He plays both concertos brilliantly. I actually prefer the 2nd concerto, though the 3rd is supposedly the most difficult.

Nice lineup for you, Ruud! Today I listened to Bach organ works again, can't get enough of them! So you improvise??? COOOL!!! I want to be able to do that too. I've started doing it, but am not too confident about it yet.

Comment

This evening live from The Royal Albert Hall.
                Enjoying the sumptuous sounds of,
                MONTEVERDI'S Vespers, 1610

The Choir of The Kings Consort,
                The Kings Consort.

------------------
                ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Listening to Gedda sing Jesus, then Wunderlich sing Jesus, then back to Gedda it is.

I tried to ask this in another topic, but none replied, which recordings of Christus am Ölberge do you recommend?

------------------
                  "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
                  "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

atserri, (I LOVE short names! )
                    I also have that Schiff/Broadwood disk. I don't think you will be disappointed with it, I found it most enjoyable. Good to see you pursuing the violin sonatas, too, they are among my favorites. You might give #4 (Op 23) a try, it is one of the best, but frequently overlooked.

P.
                    So, opera seria for you, eh? Is this the overture and incidental music or the whole singing and all? Interesting!

Hollywood,
                    Ah, the Great C major! Such intricacy in places. Thanks for that Beethoven/Schubert link, it put everything in one place very nicely!

VC,
                    I also prefer the 2nd. The themes are just perfect for my taste. Nothing wrong with the 3rd though. As for improv, just do it, the confidence will come with time.

Amalie,
                    Oh well.

Rutr,
                    I wish I could help you, I saw your other post but had no answer. Surely someone here would have a recommendation.

For me, it is the Grande Symphonie funebre at triomphale - Hector Berlioz. Well, he's French, such things are to be expected. In any case, it is an interesting listening.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                      [B]

Amalie,
                      Oh well.

Hey Gurn,
                      I found Joseph Wolfl, Three Sonatas 0p.6 for pianoforte that he dedicated to Beethoven, on CD, and I have ordered a copy!

Howzzatt!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-31-2004).]

Comment

Gurnerl,
                        I found those Rosetti Oboe Concerto's ,did you know he was a double bassist?He was a member of the orchestra of Prince Kraft Ernst von Oettingen-Wallerstein .Joseph Reicha was the music director.
                        Rosetti Italinanized his name it was Franz Anton Rossler.
                        You are going to love these if you can find them way out there in Texas!
                        spacerl
                        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Amalie,
                          Great! Howzatt? Well, it reminds me once again that finding rarities in Yurp is far better than finding them here . I congratulate you! Do let us know how they sound when the time comes.

Spacerl,
                          No, didn't know that, it wasn't mentioned in the little blurb I found on him. I did know about the orchestra thing though, I thought he was a cellist and composer for the Prince. That is great, maybe I will get lucky, you never know, it happens!

Now though it is Gossec (remember him?) with his Marche Lugubre (Tearful March) geez, those guys were on a melancholy roll! Well, I shall overcome it, next, it will be Beer Barrel Polka!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Good listening all! Today the Symphonic Poem, "The Moldau" Bedrich Smetana, conductor Karel Ancerl and the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra. This evening another Smetana, his Bartered Bride, also Haydn's Symphony #12 and of course, last but never least, Beethoven's Piano Concerto #2 via radio.

------------------

Comment

Haydn, Sonata in Eb, Hob XV1: 49,
                              Arthur Schoondewoerd (fortepiano)

Haydn, Hungarian National March,
                              Prince of Wales March. H V111 3
                              Bratislava Chamber Harmony

Mozart: Bassoon Concerto in Bb major, K191
                              Peter Henzel (bassoon)
                              Bratislava Radio Symphony Orchestra

Beethoven: Rondo in C, 0p.51 no.1
                              Sviatoslav Richter (piano)

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                                atserri, (I LOVE short names! )
                                I also have that Schiff/Broadwood disk. I don't think you will be disappointed with it, I found it most enjoyable. Good to see you pursuing the violin sonatas, too, they are among my favorites. You might give #4 (Op 23) a try, it is one of the best, but frequently overlooked.
                                On other occassion I'll explain what my nickname means (it's a proverb), feel free to cut it until you're comfortable.

The schiff disc was, as you say, most enjoyable; I listened to it at work, and boosted me, it's one of those records that sound very accessible, or even trivial, but if you listen carefully it has great depth for listening over and over, plus the historical value an peculiar sound of the instrument.

Regarding the violin sonatas:
                                Pros: I found them absolutely brilliant.
                                Cons: ... God, more records to buy!! Like bart simpson I'll write 100 times "I won't look round music shops, I'm dangerous". Once my budget allows it I'll follow your suggestion.

On the other hand, I conceded Rachmaninov a rest but he is, perhaps, my favourite composer. What about the piano concertos for 2 pianos? They captured me this holidays... Simply couldn't leave the cd player.

Comment

Working...
                                X