What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Are You Listening To Now?

Page five already? Jeez, you go away for a few days and there's so much to catch up on!Time to start a new thread! Good listening as usual today for everyone I see. Gurn, Smetana's Ma Vlast, excellent choice, one of my favourites! Let's get started with some Beethoven this morning. Earlier today The Consecration to the House Overture and Creatures of Prometheus via radio. A double treat! Later on Mozart's Don Giavanni and this evening a Beethoven program featuring the Piano Concerto #5 "Emperor".

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 08-18-2004).]

Robert Schumann's No 4 Symphony in D minor .
    Played without pause.
    Gorgeous.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Hey folks! I only made a little innocent visit to a store. And now? Tons of CD's by Mozart, Hüttenbrenner, Arragia... Huch!

And now I'm the proud owner of 41 Canons by the Master of Canons Hossa holla!

Listening right now: ABBA 'Dancing Queen' (Internet-Restaurant) I talked to them, but they are not willing to change... Life is good

Comment

Joy,
        Well, you won't top Amalie, she saw Brendel play Emperor "live" last night at the Proms! Good say though beyond that, I trust the Don Giovanni is only the Overture though, yes?

Spacerl,
        Yes, that really is a good work, and by an underrated symphonist too. Tres bien!

Pasterl,
        Ah, you cannot be trusted with the rent money in the classical music store, eh? Me neither I would have thought that any group that had a palindrome for a name would be willing to sing some little word games by Wolferl, or even the great Luigi! Oh well, sounds like you will be busy now for a while with this!

For me, it is my jingoistic American spirit gone wild, Aaron Copland - Incidental music from "Rodeo". This is interesting music, obviously in its own tradition. Played so much that you now hear a piece and say "hey!, I didn't know that was Copland!". Very nice.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Another enjoyable evening spent listening to the proms, but this time from home
          Tonights programme included:

Strauss, Don Juan,

Mozart's Piano concerto no.20 in D minor, K466

Hans Werner Henze, Symphony no.10

Richard Goode (piano)
          Hamburg Philharmonic Orchestra / Ingo Metzmacher

------------------
          ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Juan Cristosomo de Arragia - String Quartet No.3 - E flat major - Voces-Streichquartett - Really superb! His three S.Qs. were his only works he published while lifetime, though he was busy in almost every classical genre. He died ten days before his 20th birthday by a heart attack. It's said, he was born with a great musical genius, he lived most restless, always on the run for his music. Pity he died so early, the music is super. And fiery.

Gurnrl, yes busy as a busy can be I could give Mrs.Store a big kiss...

Comment

Guten Morgen,
              So, everyone sleeps today, no music listening! Well, the old Gurnster is taking care of it for all. Right now, it is the Symphony in Bb - Op 20 - Ernest Chausson. This was an interesting composer, French of course, and died too young, also of course. But he wrote some nice chamber music, and lovely little "Poeme" for Violin & Orchestra which frequently shows up as an encore piece. He was greatly mourned by the musical establishment at his death because of his considered great potential.

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Another enjoyable evening spent listening to the proms, but this time from home
                Tonights programme included:

Strauss, Don Juan,

Mozart's Piano concerto no.20 in D minor, K466

Hans Werner Henze, Symphony no.10

Richard Goode (piano)
                Hamburg Philharmonic Orchestra / Ingo Metzmacher

Quite the programme indeed amalie,
                I particulary like the 20th pianoconcerto from mozart, never heard of henze though do you know more about him?
                yesterday it was the 20th pianoconcerto for me aswell *only the 1st movement though* beethovens 5th, mendelssohns concerto for violin piano and stringorchestra..Today I had the bad luck of being in a car without a radio on work...*my dad had too change his car* thus there was no music for poor little old me during work...I'm catching up though ..mozarts fantasie Kv475 in C minor performed on fortepiano *life can be sweet* and his c minor sonata Kv.457 performed on piano by klara würtz

Regards,
                Ruud

Comment

I'm listening to Beethoven's Quartet in C sharp minor Opus 131.
                  Played by Quartetto Italiano.
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Ruud,
                    Henze is German, born 1926, has written in a variety of diferent genres, and considers himself mainly a neo-classical composer. The fact that he writes in a "Shoenberg-ian" and/or "Berg-ian" style is suggestive of serialism, but I know nothing about such things.
                    Oy, not having music makes the day too long, doesn't it? You certainly made up for it with that lovely Fantasia and sonata later though.

Spacerl,
                    Your taste is perfect, as always. B's most interesting (IMHO) quartet, and so listenable that if you don't wish to do anything more than listen, that is enough!

For me, another little something different. It is the "Caucasian Sketches" Suite #1 - Op 10 - Mikhail Ippolitov-Ivanov (1859-1935). If you like Russian music, this is IT! Whether your imagination conjures up Tatars on the steppes, or the invading forces of Napoleon, or even the Seige of Leningrad, this is the music that accompanies the vision!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Spacerl,
                      Your taste is perfect, as always. B's most interesting (IMHO) quartet, and so listenable that if you don't wish to do anything more than listen, that is enough! :
                      Are you suggesting we could dance to it?

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:

Quite the programme indeed amalie,
                        I particulary like the 20th pianoconcerto from mozart, never heard of henze though do you know more about him?
                        yesterday it was the 20th pianoconcerto for me aswell *only the 1st movement though* beethovens 5th, mendelssohns concerto for violin piano and stringorchestra..Today I had the bad luck of being in a car without a radio on work...*my dad had too change his car* thus there was no music for poor little old me during work...I'm catching up though ..mozarts fantasie Kv475 in C minor performed on fortepiano *life can be sweet* and his c minor sonata Kv.457 performed on piano by klara würtz

Regards,
                        Ruud
                        Ruud,
                        I am also very fond of Mozart's piano concerto no. 20, but I am afraid I'm not terribly familiar with Henze music, I would only reiterate what Gurn has said.
                        However, I shall be attending a Baroque concert soon, much more my cup of tea!

For now I am listening to MENDELSSOHN: violin Sonata in F, 0p.4.

------------------
                        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Spacerl,
                          Well, perhaps a cavatina would be in order then, who leads? So, WAYLTN??

Amalie,
                          Baroque concert? Perhaps an authentic instruments group? Inquiring minds want to know! As far as the d minor concerto goes, we are in pretty good company, as it was a favorite of B also, and I daresay millions since. Just plain good work. As for the Mendelssohn, I like it, but I waited 3 years to finally get a recording of it, so I guess anything I got at that time would be anticlimatic, but in any case I thought that Felix's writing for violin & piano was one of the very few that he didn't excel at. Probably just me I still am working at trying to learn to love it though, perhaps someday it can happen.

For me now though, it it the 12 variations in Eb on "Je suis Lindor" K 354/299a that Amadé produced for Paris. Ingrid Haebler plays Mozart so perfectly, you can tell she is playing him and not herself, totally unaffected. Marvelous.

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

For me it looks like it's going to be a Beethoven day on the radio starting off with
                            his Piano Sonata No. 13 in E-Flat Op 27 No.
                            with Garrick Ohlsson, piano. After that Leonore OT #3; Piano Concerto #4; and his Symphony #1. I hope I can get some of my work done! Also for a bit of a contrast will be Mozart's Symphony #30, always room for little Mozart.
                            Yesterday I heard Beethoven's 'Rage Over a Lost Penny', enjoyable as well. I think it was the fastest version I had ever heard though. The pianist was flying!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                              Ruud,
                              Henze is German, born 1926, has written in a variety of diferent genres, and considers himself mainly a neo-classical composer. The fact that he writes in a "Shoenberg-ian" and/or "Berg-ian" style is suggestive of serialism, but I know nothing about such things.
                              Oy, not having music makes the day too long, doesn't it? You certainly made up for it with that lovely Fantasia and sonata later though.

Spacerl,
                              Your taste is perfect, as always. B's most interesting (IMHO) quartet, and so listenable that if you don't wish to do anything more than listen, that is enough!

For me, another little something different. It is the "Caucasian Sketches" Suite #1 - Op 10 - Mikhail Ippolitov-Ivanov (1859-1935). If you like Russian music, this is IT! Whether your imagination conjures up Tatars on the steppes, or the invading forces of Napoleon, or even the Seige of Leningrad, this is the music that accompanies the vision!

For me it's been liszts Harmonies Poetiques et Religieuses on the radio today and now mendelssohns concerto for piano violin and stringorchestra and the 7th of Beethoven nice programme...btw. Gurn is Ivanov as good as tsjaikovski's ouverture 1812..LOVE that piece

Regards,
                              Ruud

Comment

Working...
                              X