• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrel of Laughs

A Barrel of Laughs From an Improbable Joker
    By ANTHONY TOMMASINI

Published: August 8, 2004
    The New York Times

BEETHOVEN was impossible to deal with. He had an aura about him, of course: the charisma of genius. So he attracted a circle of uncommonly tolerant friends. But he was obstinate, arrogant and prone to violent mood swings. One moment he would erupt with paranoid indignation at obsequious associates, greedy publishers and condescending patrons; the next, he would soften into a big mush of sentimental remorse.

Advertisement

So it's not surprising that he seems to have had almost no sense of humor. True, during his days as a young hotshot composer in Vienna, before his hearing deteriorated, Beethoven could at times be playful and merry among friends. Occasionally you come across a bad pun or a salty observation in his letters. Yet for the most part, he was humorless.

So how to account for the humor that abounds in his music? Not just charm, wit and tongue-in-cheek satire but slapstick antics and utter zaniness.

The intrepid American pianist Jeffrey Swann will focus on the comic side of Beethoven's work on Friday at Bargemusic in Brooklyn. The program is part of Mr. Swann's presentation of all 32 Beethoven piano sonatas in eight programs, the last four taking place from Thursday to next Sunday.

Humor does not fit into the popular image of Beethoven the titanic symphonist, standing up to tyranny in the "Eroica" Symphony, celebrating brotherhood in the Ninth. But elements of bracing humor can be found even in those gripping works. In fact, few composers in history, not even Haydn and Rossini, had a better store of musical jokes.

Surely Beethoven's personal life, especially his chaotic youth, helps explain why he was so mistrustful, insecure and hotheaded. He was the oldest surviving child of an alcoholic and abusive father and a well-meaning but weak-willed mother. To adults the young Beethoven appeared painfully isolated and uncared for. Aside from a few stories of the young Beethoven stealing eggs from a neighbor on a dare or enjoying piggyback rides with cousins, you will probably not find him goofing off, riding horses or even playing cards.

He was short, stocky and, with his pockmarked face and unkempt appearance, unattractive. As he matured, he grew increasingly moralistic. He found Mozart's "Così Fan Tutte" shocking: a crude comedy that made light of mate-swapping.

Even before he started to go deaf, Beethoven was consumed with music. He was famous for taking long walks with a sketch pad close at hand, not even noticing the rain. Though equanimity eluded him in life, in his music he ideally balanced reason and wildness, intellect and emotion, structure and fantasy, sorrow and, yes, silliness.

On Friday, Mr. Swann will play six brilliantly silly works. My favorite, and the silliest, is the Sonata No. 16 in G, composed in 1802, when Beethoven was 31. You seldom hear this astounding piece. Perhaps performers still share the misjudgment of the scholar Eric Blom, who wrote in 1932 that of the 32 sonatas "pretty general critical agreement" deemed this one "the least representative of Beethoven's genius."

Rudolf Serkin, a pianist renowned for his artistic seriousness, certainly did not agree. Serkin played this sonata often, with an infectious sense of mischief. It begins with a stutter, a G in the right hand that anticipates by a hair the downbeat G major triad in the left. It should sound as if the pianist had fumbled the opening, unable to play the two parts in sync. Then the lingering right-hand note spirals into a downward figuration, followed by a series of noodling chords that also stutter — a quirk that runs through the work.

Then the whole business happens again, shifted down a step. Is some suspense afoot? Or is the music just following some formulaic sequence? Beethoven wants to keep you guessing. After more stuttering chords, the music breaks into a headlong rush of twisting 16th notes and nonsensical arpeggios.

At one point in the movement, the piano shifts into a minor-mode broken-chord figure in the right hand with a thumping theme in the left. It sounds like old silent-movie music for the scene in which the bad guys gallop into town. The development section pushes the stuttering-chord idea to the limit: it's like an apotheosis of stuttering chords. After an extended passage of misty textures spiked with quietly dissonant wrong notes, the silly main theme returns, sounding wonderfully fresh and clearheaded.

In the second movement, a mock-elegant Adagio in C, a simple triplet figure accompanies a decorous theme, which begins with a trill that goes on too long. As the movement evolves, the right hand elaborates the theme with outbursts of brilliant yet excessive ornamentation. It sounds at once virtuosic and idiotic.

The final movement is a deceptively graceful Rondo. For a while the music seems genuinely tender. But don't let that fool you; the sonata builds to a madcap conclusion.

If this could be called the "Stutter" Sonata, the Sonata No. 18 in E flat, which Mr. Swann will also play, might be called the "False Starts" Sonata.

The first movement begins with a quizzical descending melodic gesture, richly harmonized. A series of slightly insinuating chords follows, creeping stepwise higher as the tempo is stretched to a standstill. Have we started in the middle of the movement? The question is answered with a nonchalant up-tempo outburst, which skirts up the keyboard until the quizzical opening is repeated in a higher register.

Finally, the sonata seems to take off, with a playful and steady main theme. But don't get too settled; things keep changing.

A bumptious Allegretto comes next, then a wistful yet slyly amusing slow movement, before the hurtling finale, full of stop-and-start surprises. It would be good music for a zany crowd scene in a Marx Brothers movie except for the bouts of harmonic adventure and rhythmic intensity.

Beethoven folded his humor into architectonic musical structures, lending his silliness a colossal quality that can throw listeners off. My guess is he wanted it that way. Beethoven liked having the last laugh.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chaszz:
    Surely Beethoven's personal life, especially his chaotic youth, helps explain why he was so mistrustful, insecure and hotheaded.

I think his deafness accounts for this far more.

Beethoven folded his humor into architectonic musical structures, lending his silliness a colossal quality that can throw listeners off. My guess is he wanted it that way. Beethoven liked having the last laugh.

I think Beethoven kept his sense of humour well into his maturity - what about those canons!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Greetings Chaszz, fresh from sculpting the Venus de Milo. and no one can top that!

I think the slight difficulty is that we often do not know the context and the effect at the time that Beethoven's supposed bad temper had on other people.
      I myself suspect that even people on a nodding acqaintance with Beethoven were more often amused and laughed by Beethoven's outbursts, with the exception perhaps of some of the titled ladies..
      I am sure that when he said, ' there is only one Beethoven' and yet many noblemen who are simply born into that position, the nobility, who I thing were far more robust and sensible that we give them credit for laughed at Beethoven's eccentricities and indeed loved him for it.

------------------
      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-15-2004).]
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Of course we read that Beethoven's humour in speech and writing was clumsy and restricted, his expression of wit in music knew no bounds - We love Beethoven on such mischievous occasions in his music, in his own terms, he felt 'unbuttoned'!(aufgeknopft).
        How sophisticated were his impish tricks with the horns in the first movement of the 'Eroica'.
        Ludwig was at his happiest in the finale of the Fourth Symphony, which breezes along in perpetuum mobile, abounding in merriment, drollery, sheer delight, and irrepressible wit, expressed right from the opening by the semi-quaver motifs. Berlioz described it thus: " the finale, gay and sprightly, consists of jingling scintillating sounds, of a continous chattering, which is cut off abruptly, however, by several harsh and savage chords; the explosions of grim humour, which we come to find in his later works already begin to appear here".

------------------
        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

How can this guy say that Beethoven didn't have a sense of humor? What about Beethoven's response to his brother Nickolaus Johann's self proclaimed title of "Nickolaus Johann van Beethoven, Land Owner"- "Ludwig van Beethoven, Brain Owner"! Now that's funny!

[This message has been edited by Andrea (edited 08-16-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
            How can this guy say that Beethoven didn't have a sense of humor? What about Beethoven's response to his brother Nickolaus Johann's self proclaimed title of "Nickolaus Johann van Beethoven, Land Owner"- "Ludwig van Beethoven, Brain Owner"! Now that's funny!

I gain the impression that he did have a sense of humour, but it was a dry, cynical and acerbic type.
            "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

A love of verbal 'puns' is a particular feature of Beethoven's humour, often involving word play with the names of his friends and associates, most of which tended to be aimiable and affectionate.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I think anyone who actually takes the time to learn about B will find him to be a very humorous fellow, but he also was a prickly kinda guy too, we can't deny that. There is always a blending of the extremes that makes for the reality. Even though there were good and solid reasons for his distrust and prickliness, they were still manifest. Even so, I would have enjoyed an opportunity to see this concert, it might have been quite interesting.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:

Impressive answer Monty Pythons wouldn't answer with more sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
                    Impressive answer Monty Pythons wouldn't answer with more sarcasm

I agree!

Comment

Working...
                    X