• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - 8 Lieder, Op.52 - No.4 'Mailied'

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

I didn't get the romance , it waited, waited and failed...

Lovely lied though, as usual, beautiful tone of the singer, quite interesting indeed, I've already heard of him, but never bought anything. I really should get out and buy more lieder...

------------------
    "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Danke Rod. A lovely piece, as usual. Hearing the words to this song I could picture Beethoven on one of his walks in the countryside or in the Vienna Woods saying to himself these same feelings phrased so well by Goethe.

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
        I didn't get the romance , it waited, waited and failed...

Lovely lied though, as usual, beautiful tone of the singer, quite interesting indeed, I've already heard of him, but never bought anything. I really should get out and buy more lieder...

I think Ian Partridge is more generally associated with Baroque as his voice is more suited to this style. But with Beethoven too this is preferable to the bombast one usually hears. I have a number of Handel recordings that include Partridge in the line-up.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
          Danke Rod. A lovely piece, as usual. Hearing the words to this song I could picture Beethoven on one of his walks in the countryside or in the Vienna Woods saying to himself these same feelings phrased so well by Goethe.
          Well I've been reading around on the net to assess the current critical standing of Beethoven songs, which before was pretty poor, but now it appears he's up there with Schubert according to some articles. Well I could have told them that years back. Considering this progression, perhaps in a few years time Beethoven will be regarded as the no1 lieder writer along with just about everything else he put his hand to!

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Very lovely. Crisp and clear singing. Beautiful lieder. Looking up Beethoven's Lieder's in one of my books I found, "Beethoven songs from his Bonn period show the influence of Neefe and Philip Emanuel Bach, but later he made himself independent. Though Beethoven composed just as many songs as Mendelssohn, the latter was always considered a typical song composer. Beethoven supposedly said to Rochlitz in the summer of 1820; 'I don't like to write songs.' Beethoven believed himself to to be primarily an instrumental composer." Glad to hear it, Rod, that Beethoven is getting more credit for his beautiful songs.

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 08-18-2004).]
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
            X