What are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amalie,
    Yes, gorgeous indeed, once again, a stellar lineup! The only one I am not intimately familiar with is the Corelli. can you tell us about what instruments are in the solisti? Is that Op 6? I do know it, if so. I first read it as Op 10, but now I see...

For me, it is the Concerto in C major for Piano & Orchestra - #1 - Op 34 - J. Nepomuk Hummel. Does the tradition of naming boys "Nepomuk" live on today? Seems there were thousands of them at that time. Anyway, Hummel has never been better, the fortepiano is fairly singing!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Good morning y'all!
      Amalie, excellent choices as usual.
      For me via my wonderful classical radio station is Beethoven's Nameday Overture
      with the Minnesota Orchestra and
      Stanislaw Skrowaczewski, conductor.
      Gurn, a rarity on radio stations, wouldn't you say?
      Anyway, also for my listening pleasure this morning was Mozart's Piano Concerto #22 and Mendelssohn's Symphony $#4, one of my favourites. We'll see what later on today will bring.

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Good morning y'all!
        Amalie, excellent choices as usual.
        For me via my wonderful classical radio station is Beethoven's Nameday Overture
        with the Minnesota Orchestra and
        Stanislaw Skrowaczewski, conductor.
        Gurn, a rarity on radio stations, wouldn't you say?
        Anyway, also for my listening pleasure this morning was Mozart's Piano Concerto #22 and Mendelssohn's Symphony $#4, one of my favourites. We'll see what later on today will bring.

for me it's Mozart aswell..Mozarts Rondo in D major K382 for piano and orchestra performed by Alfred brendel

Comment

Joy,
          Yes, I would say! I am thinking that I have never heard Zur Namensfeier in the radio! I don't know what the rest of it sounds like, or even if there IS a rest of it, but I like the overture quite a lot. And the Italian Symphony too, another of my favorites, not to even mention the Amadé! No wonder you are saying "ya'll"

Ruud,
          Yes, a nice little Rondo finale that he wrote to replace a more primitive one. But now, the concerto is always performed with its original finale and the rondo always alone! Makes you wonder if Amadé misjudged just a bit.

For me, it is also a Rondo, the Rondo brillant in Bb major for Fortepiano & Orchestra - #2 - Op 98 - J. Nepomuk Hummel. The London Mozart Players / Howard Shelley. Indeed, a rondo deserving of the adjective "brillant"!

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hi guys! After 14 hours of music today by Beethoven, Schubert, Hummel and Mozart I take a break now. Silentio! (after K.191)

Hey, stressy! In two hours starts the Classical Music Festival in Lucerne and they bring it on tv. I shall watch it

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 08-13-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
              Hi guys! After 14 hours of music today by Beethoven, Schubert, Hummel and Mozart I take a break now. Silentio! (after K.191)

Hey, stressy! In two hours starts the Classical Music Festival in Lucerne and they bring it on tv. I shall watch it

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 08-13-2004).]
              WHAT CHANNEL....

Comment

P,
                We shall expect a complete play-by-play! 14 hours of music, your days are getting to be as much as mine! Soon, you too will have no money left from supporting your music habit, living out on the street, begging "please sir, just enough for 1 download for my mp3 player, and perhaps a battery too"! Oh, I fear for you, my friend...

Ruud,
                But not you? Listening to nothing, poor lad!

For me though, it is the Sonata in d minor for Fortepiano & Mandolin - #1 - Giovanni Hoffman - As was said earlier, the fortepiano and the mandolin are just perfect for each other tonally. Excellent!

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ruud,
                  Mozart's rondo, very nice.
                  Pastoralli, 14 hours of music, good grief, no wonder you need a little 'silentio' now.

For me this afternoon it's Mozart's Symphony #28; Bach's Brandenberg Concerto #2; and Beethoven's Creatures of Prometheus by the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra via radio, oh, they do love to play that!

------------------

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Amalie:
                    [b]
                    Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                    Amalie,
                    Yes, gorgeous indeed, once again, a stellar lineup! The only one I am not intimately familiar with is the Corelli. can you tell us about what instruments are in the solisti? Is that Op 6? I do know it, if so. I first read it as Op 10, but now I see...
                    Quite right Gurn, I must have missed out the (6) just at the moment there was a sudden clap of thunder, , really there was

For me, it is the Concerto in C major for Piano & Orchestra - #1 - Op 34 - J. Nepomuk Hummel. Does the tradition of naming boys "Nepomuk" live on today? Seems there were thousands of them at that time. Anyway, Hummel has never been better, the fortepiano is fairly singing!

Gurn,
                    A little info about Corelli's 12 concerti grossi 0p.6
                    Their original forms are mostly lost but but those in which were published in Amsterdam by Estienne Roger had been carefully polished and revised by the composer and they were assembled from movements that had been written a various times. The first eight pieces are in da chiesa form, the last four in da camera form - without and with named dance movements respecively, and the number of their movements varies from 4 to 7. Each features the interplay of a group of soloists, the concertino (two violins and a cello) and the orchestra, the ripieno, the size of which Corelli stated to be flexible.
                    These are without doubt masterpieces of their genre, one that was later developed by, notably, Bach and Handel, and they are rich in variety.
                    They were especially popular in England, preferred even to Handel's concertos, well into the 19th century.
                    As a violinist Corelli was the finest, most influential teacher of his day, as an ensemble director he imposed high standards of discipline.

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Saturday summer selection blowing the cobwebs of the past week away with:

BEETHOVEN'S Magestic 'Eroica' Symphony no.3. Vienna Philharmonic Orch. under Leonard Bernstein.

TAVENER: Annunciation
                      Westminster Abbey Choir.

PURCELL: March (from 'Queen Mary's funeral music)

MOZART: Mass in C minor, K427 "Great"
                      John Alldis Chior
                      National Philharmonic Orchestra.

HANDEL: No, di voi non vo' fidarmi - Italian duet no. 16 for two sopranos and continuo, HWV 189, G major

WAGNER: Tristan und Isolde
                      Act 3. Liebestod (mild und leise, wie er lachelt). Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/ Leopold Stokowski

Catch y'all later

------------------
                      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

The Lucerne CM Festival yesterday started with Richard Strauss - The last four Songs - something like that, not my cup of tea and I skipped it soon...

Now W.A. Mozart - Symphonies #38 'Prague', #39, #32
                        The English Concert/T. Pinnock
                        rather my thing

Comment

Guten morgen Alles,
                          Amalie,
                          Thanks for that information. I have a disk with 6 of these concertos on it, but the publisher presumed far more insight on my part than I actually possessed, since liner notes were considered unnecessary. Certainly you have a great lineup going for today too! Kinda heavy on the singing, but we won't hold it against you. I personally feel that you need to strike a bit better balance with instrumental/vocal, a ratio of 1000/1 has proven very effective for me, but hey, don't go by that!

Pastorali,
                          Ah, Strauss! What a blow for you! He wrote a mean horn concerto though! You have certainly made up fot it with Wolfrl though. Guten!

For me, it is the extremely rare, very early Dvorak Concerto in A major for Cello & Orchestra - #1 - B 10. Sadlo plays cello with Czech PO / Vaclav Neumann. This is really a nice work, representative of Dvorak's "big" style of his early works. Sort of "Big Romantic". Very nice.

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm listening to my pal Cathy play Robert Schumann's opus 124 no.5 'Phantasietanz'
                            This is the 100 year old upright's swansong.
                            I'm selling the piano. I'm over my midlife crisis,I will never learn to play.
                            My hands are far too small (especially for these big old chunky keys)there are a number of quite basic chords that I simply can not reach to play.
                            I'm glad I gave it a whirl though my understanding of basic music theory and a lot of terminology has improved my enjoyment when reading about music .

I have just put down a terrific book about Beethoven titled "The Changing Image of Beethoven ,A Study in Mythmaking" written by Alessandra Comini .She teaches Art History at Southern Methodist University in Dallas.
                            Here's the blurb "Comini brilliantly examines the phenomenon of the contradictory imagery of the real Beethoven of contemporary and posthumous accounts in some 200 illustrations of paintings,sculptures,prints,and verbal accounts."

This was great reading.
                            spacerl
                            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Early afternoon and it's Mendelssohn. His Symphony No.3 the "Scottish" performed by Georg Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Solti takes tempi that I really enjoy. This work requires a spunky drive to it. I not only hear but I feel the Scottish folk music that permeates the whole work. Solti takes the coda in the last movement at a pace that makes you want to put on a kilt and dance what ever it is the Scots dance.
                              Superb rendition. For you lovers of the "Italian" symphony it is also on the same disc, and very well done. The Chicago Symphony is on top with both of these works.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
                                Early afternoon and it's Mendelssohn. His Symphony No.3 the "Scottish" performed by Georg Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Solti takes tempi that I really enjoy. This work requires a spunky drive to it. I not only hear but I feel the Scottish folk music that permeates the whole work. Solti takes the coda in the last movement at a pace that makes you want to put on a kilt and dance what ever it is the Scots dance.
                                Superb rendition. For you lovers of the "Italian" symphony it is also on the same disc, and very well done. The Chicago Symphony is on top with both of these works.
                                King,
                                tempting as it sounds putting on a kilt and dancing on Mendelssohn I must admit that I've never heard the scottisch symphony too my regrets...The Italian one however I DO know and it sounds superbly.
                                For me it's been the clarinetconcerto Kv.622 in A major by mozart, liszts la campagnella etude, and 2nd rhapsody in C sharp minor, dvoraks 5th symphony and I've played a waltz by chopin in a minor brown index 150 and some sonatina's by clementi

Regards,
                                Ruud

Comment

Working...
                                X