What are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastorali,
    Yes, you need to be in Central Park with your big blaster playing Beethoven folk song settings. Bona Nox, that would be a picture! What then, not a IIe? Man, that is some good istening you have now though! I may do that myself in a little while.

Joy,
    Well, the 104 is Haydn's last symphony. He seemed to use it to sum up the others, stylistically it is still very forward looking. But it is called "London" because the theme of the last movement is the street vendors' tune "Hot Cross Buns"! It is a fitting ending to an amazing career of symphony writing, and one of my favorites! I wish I knew more background on "Creatures..." I have read just a bit, and certainly heard all the music many times over, but there is surprisingly little in the literature about the play itself, merely that it "was". That Egmont is a pip though, it and Coriolan are my current faves!

VC,
    well, I guess if you can see the Magic Flute in Namibia, there should be no real reason why I can't see it in Texas, although you are more culturally advanced than most of us And YOU can't go wrong with that lineup of B sonatas either! I think that Jando is an excellent pianist, and you;re right, he does a particularly good job on that Appassionata. Good listening!

For me, as promised, I am still working through Dvorak, now, it is hte Quintet in Eb for Strings - #3 - Op 97 - BPO Octet - Not many since Mozart who could spin a Quintet the way D can. Absolutely excellent!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This afternoon is a Dvorak marathon of which the following music will be heard.
      Right now I am listening to the 9th Symphony after which will come the American Suite Op.98b, the Symhonies Nos. 7 & 8 and I will end with the Symphony Sir Donald Tovey proclaimed to be Dvorak's, best and that is the 6th Symphony in D Major Op.60.
      I know Gurn will agree with me when I say that Dvorak's music transcends all other romantic composers of the 2nd half of the 19th century.(My opinion)
      By the way these recordings are all under the baton of Libor Pesek, who has a real feel for Dvorak's music.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 08-07-2004).]

Comment

King,
        Yes, IMHO also, there are only 2 great composers after 1850, Brahms and Dvorak. There are a scattering of very good ones too, like Tchaikovsky and Grieg. I would be hard-pressed to come up with a lot of others though. Interesting choices, I have heard the lovely Czech Suite, but didn't even know of the existence of the American one. From the Op #, it was written hard on the heels of the New World Symphony (95) and the American Quartet (96). Just that pesky quintet in there that I discussed a little while ago, and it is so Bohemian it is vastly different. It's 4th movement sound like a pure folk song!

For me now, it is Dvorak! The Sonatina in G major for Violin & Piano - Op 100 - Gil & Orli Shaham - Just another lovely little masterpiece!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          King,
          Yes, IMHO also, there are only 2 great composers after 1850, Brahms and Dvorak. There are a scattering of very good ones too, like Tchaikovsky and Grieg. I would be hard-pressed to come up with a lot of others though. Interesting choices, I have heard the lovely Czech Suite, but didn't even know of the existence of the American one. From the Op #, it was written hard on the heels of the New World Symphony (95) and the American Quartet (96). Just that pesky quintet in there that I discussed a little while ago, and it is so Bohemian it is vastly different. It's 4th movement sound like a pure folk song!

For me now, it is Dvorak! The Sonatina in G major for Violin & Piano - Op 100 - Gil & Orli Shaham - Just another lovely little masterpiece!

For me it's the moldau from smetana's excellent cycle Ma vlast..don't black HIM out gurn:P..and the polonaise op.40 nr.2 Chopin in c minor

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
            For me it's the moldau from smetana's excellent cycle Ma vlast..don't black HIM out gurn:P..and the polonaise op.40 nr.2 Chopin in c minor
            Ruud, I am in full agreement with you with regard to the cycle Ma Vlast. I very much enjoy hearing the complete cycle rather than just one symphonic poem here and another there. It's such strong progam music that I feel I am missing something if not heard complete. At any rate it's great music.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              Muriel, yes, Haydn was quite brillant.

Sorrano, we must have listened to the same recording this morning. Mine was via radio Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D
              Berlin Soloists orchestra with Emmanuel Pahud, flute. I must say I enjoy all his Brandenberg concertos. Wonderful music.

It was broadcast very early in the morning. Today, however, caught the tail end of a work by Mendelssohn. It was an overture called, "The Trumpet." It sounded a lot like Schumann and I thought it was. Very nice!

Last night I caught Haydn's Military Symphony--the second movement caught me by surprise as I didn't know what I was listening to at first.

Comment

Ruud,
                Glad you are back from your excellent vacation. I read your post about it, but had nothing to post to your question. But it seems you had a great time, and the music made it perfect! Oh, I like Smetana, he is in that large group of very good composers that I place just below Brahms and Dvorak. I can't help it, I have to feel that there are levels of greatness, not that one or a few very good works put you on the highest level, no matter how good. Look at how many very good works those two wrote, and this in an age when composers didn't write that much either. Nice Polonaise, too!

King,
                Think you're right, the whole thing carries a lot more weight than any one piece. Next, you will admit to liking the other great Bohemian, Janacek, yes?

Sorrano,
                One of Haydn's best. But as Eugene Ormandy said "Leave it to Haydn to write a Military Symphony and leave out the side drums.."

For me, it is the Quartet in c minor - #1 - OP 51 #1 - Johannes Brahms - Perfect for this evening!

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sunday morning: LvB - Mass in C - Op.86 - Hickox - Collegium Musicum

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                    [B]King ,I know some people manage it, but for me, it is hard to dislike Vivaldi!

Amalie,
                    Good morning! Tell me, is that the famous "Music of the Sun King" CD that has caused so much trouble for Hyperion here lately? I read that story with sadness, since it looks as though one man's greed is going to cause a very nice label to go under. As to the music, what I have heard is indeed nice, although any mental images I can summon up now of Versailles are inevitably tainted by the great Mel Brooks' "History of the World". "Ah, it's good to be the King..."
                    You're right, the lovely Drobnosti. I listened to them last night in both the string trio and Violin & Piano formats, equally lovely! Some day when I am inclined to type, i shall ive you the background on these, Dvorak really was an amazing chap!

Absolutely right Gurn,
                    As I understand it, Hyperion maintained that the work was essentially in the public domain because it was recognizably the work of Lalande,and the plaintiff maintained that he had worked so hard on the orginal score that it was now really his own composition and to which copyright applied.
                    I suppose only a musicologist, and I think there were a few of them who gave expert evidence in court could really arbitrate on such a claim. Though Hyperion lost I think they are going to appeal.

Yesterday in London Tower Records, I came across Beethoven's symphony no. 6,(pastoral) on DVD, quite a find! It is a musical journey produced by Naxos in music and film through the stunning landscapes of the French countryside, evoking the timeless emotion of Beethoven's Pastoral symphony.
                    The Naxos Musical Journey takes us through the breathtaking French regions of Burgunday, Pays de la Liore and France-Comte. Which makes us feel as though we are actually there, strolling through the rich landscape.
                    Experiencing the architectural splendour of centuries old chateaux; wandering along the majestic rivers and lakes in the tranquill countryside.
                    This natural splendour is the perfect visual enactment of the thrill conjured by Beethven's immortal music.

Also included is a natural thunderstorm scene, then clearing with a beautiful rainbow over the countryside.

A stunningly beautiful and tranquill piece!

My listening on the radio this morning included:

Mozart Symphony no. 39. K.543.
                    Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra /Harnoncourt

From my CD,¬

Bach, Messe en si mineur Agnus Dei
                    Colleguim Vocale, dir. Philippe Herreweghe.

Antonio Caldara,
                    Maddalena ai piedi di Cristo.
                    Orchestra de la Schola Cantorum Basiliensis.

Vivaldi,
                    Cessate, omai Cessate!
                    Ensemble 415, dir. Chiara Banchini.

------------------
                    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Amalie:
                      [B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                      [B]King ,I know some people manage it, but for me, it is hard to dislike Vivaldi!

Amalie,
                      Good morning! Tell me, is that the famous "Music of the Sun King" CD that has caused so much trouble for Hyperion here lately? I read that story with sadness, since it looks as though one man's greed is going to cause a very nice label to go under. As to the music, what I have heard is indeed nice, although any mental images I can summon up now of Versailles are inevitably tainted by the great Mel Brooks' "History of the World". "Ah, it's good to be the King..."
                      You're right, the lovely Drobnosti. I listened to them last night in both the string trio and Violin & Piano formats, equally lovely! Some day when I am inclined to type, i shall ive you the background on these, Dvorak really was an amazing chap!

Absolutely right Gurn,
                      As I understand it, Hyperion maintained that the work was essentially in the public domain because it was recognizably the work of Lalande,and the plaintiff maintained that he had worked so hard on the orginal score that it was now really his own composition and to which copyright applied.
                      I suppose only a musicologist, and I think there were a few of them who gave expert evidence in court could really arbitrate on such a claim. Though Hyperion lost I think they are going to appeal.

Saturday in sweltering in London Tower Records, I came across Beethoven's symphony no. 6,(pastoral) on DVD, quite a find! It is a musical journey produced by Naxos in music and film through the stunning landscapes of the French countryside, evoking the timeless emotion of Beethoven's Pastoral symphony.
                      The Naxos Musical Journey takes us through the breathtaking French regions of Burgunday, Pays de la Liore and France-Comte. Which makes us feel as though we are actually there, strolling through the rich landscape.
                      Experiencing the architectural splendour of centuries old chateaux; wandering along the majestic rivers and lakes in the tranquill countryside.
                      This natural splendour is the perfect visual enactment of the thrill conjured by Beethoven's immortal music.

Also included is a natural thunderstorm scene, then clearing with a beautiful rainbow over the countryside.

A stunningly beautiful and tranquill piece!

My listening on the radio this morning included:
                      Purcell, 'Now that the Sun hath veiled his light', Chanticleer/Joseph Jennings.

Mozart Symphony no. 39. K.543.
                      Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra /Harnoncourt

From my CD,¬

Bach, Messe en si mineur Agnus Dei
                      Colleguim Vocale, dir. Philippe Herreweghe.

Antonio Caldara,
                      Maddalena ai piedi di Cristo.
                      Orchestra de la Schola Cantorum Basiliensis.

Vivaldi,
                      Cessate, omai Cessate!
                      Ensemble 415, dir. Chiara Banchini.

Oh Yes, nearly forgot to mention, the Naxos musical journey DVD ends with Beethoven's Romance No. 1, g minor, 0p.40.

Thanks Gurn, I would like you to enlighten me on the background of Dvorak's Drobnosti.

Have a wonderful day y'all!

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-08-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Saturday in sweltering in London Tower Records, I came across Beethoven's symphony no. 6,(pastoral) on DVD, quite a find! It is a musical journey produced by Naxos in music and film through the stunning landscapes of the French countryside, evoking the timeless emotion of Beethoven's Pastoral symphony.
                        This natural splendour is the perfect visual enactment of the thrill conjured by Beethoven's immortal music.

Oh Yes, nearly forgot to mention, the Naxos musical journey DVD ends with Beethoven's Romance No. 1, g minor, 0p.40. ;

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-08-2004).][/B]
                        Hey Amalie, this sounds really wonderful! Wish I could get that DVD. Do you think it might be accesible through Amazon.com?

Anyway, today it's Mozart's String Quartet in C major "Dissonant". A totally amazing work, wonderful to start of this Sunday afternoon! I particularly like the 1st movement development section, very powerful modulations that give me goosebumps every time.

Comment

Certainly V.
                          There are also 42 other Naxos wonderful musical journey's , next one for me in Beethoven's piano concerto no.1.
                          I was also looking at the Schubert one in Tower Records.
                          You can order them from Naxos. http://store.yahoo.com/dvdinternational/dvdi-1019.html.

I much prefer my classical music store to place an order for me rather than order over the internet.

------------------
                          ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

Comment

Amalie,
                            As usual, creme de la creme! Including my favorite, most underrated Mozart Symphony, the Eb #39. I guess it should have had a name, I can't think of any other reason why it would be overshadowed by its comrades. That DVD does sound a treat, I must say. As for the Drobnosti, my typing skills don't allow me the time right now, but when I return home this afternoon.

VC,
                            Ah, Mozart's finest quartet! Have you noted how, after the so-much-talked-about dissonant opening, that the whole piece opens up into the most wonderful C major pleasure trip? Splendid work.

For me, it is the Symphony in d minor - #9 - Op 125 - Beethoven - LSO/Jochum. This is a very nice piece of work, I think when people hear it more that it will achieve some popularity!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                              Ruud,
                              Glad you are back from your excellent vacation. I read your post about it, but had nothing to post to your question. But it seems you had a great time, and the music made it perfect! Oh, I like Smetana, he is in that large group of very good composers that I place just below Brahms and Dvorak. I can't help it, I have to feel that there are levels of greatness, not that one or a few very good works put you on the highest level, no matter how good. Look at how many very good works those two wrote, and this in an age when composers didn't write that much either. Nice Polonaise, too!

King,
                              Think you're right, the whole thing carries a lot more weight than any one piece. Next, you will admit to liking the other great Bohemian, Janacek, yes?

Sorrano,
                              One of Haydn's best. But as Eugene Ormandy said "Leave it to Haydn to write a Military Symphony and leave out the side drums.."

For me, it is the Quartet in c minor - #1 - OP 51 #1 - Johannes Brahms - Perfect for this evening!

Janacek???? Don't push it..

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

Space, Mozart's Magic Flute, sounds wonderful. Forget the fashion statement. I bet the music was grand!

If I'm going to the trouble and expense of attending the opera I must have great visuals as well as audio,after all only half of the opera is the singing ,the other part is the spectacle. The Magic Flute
                                has wonderful music, the sets and costumes should be just as splendid.
                                spacerl

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                                X