Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    Joy,
    Well, it is all because of you! That is a great divertimento,listento the orchestration, 2 flutes, 5 trumpets and 4 timpani!! And oddly, that was a fairly common ensemble for div. at the time. Who would have guessed?? And coincidentally, I listened to King Stephan just this morning! We got those waves going, I tell you

Like I always say Gurn, "great minds..." well, you know!!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I'm enjoying Haydn's String Quartets Op 54No 1,2 and 3.However did he manage to write so much brilliant music?He must have been at it morning, noon and night.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

As usual through this week many Piano Sonatas by B. and some Symphonies by Schubert.

Right before it was: Karl Michael Zierer, Waltzer 'Dieser Kuss der ganzen Welt' I prefer the original by far

Gurn
        Great listenings to those Dvorak Symphonies, gelle!? I for my humble part, unfortunately do know only #9. This is also the only one I can find here, except I go the special store. In this case a pity! But I shall look for them after holiday season. Please can you recommend a fiery set of his Symphonies?

And now, this is the Canzone key, which is Max Bruch - Symphony #3
        Bruch once mentioned, Symphonies are not his prefered area... so I agree, at least a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
          Why do you think they call me space(d)anyway?

Weltall
          I never would call you Space(d) like others maybe do but I find 'Spacerl' wouldn't be unsuitable, that reminds me to Mozart's charming ways

Bruch, der Max: Symphony #2 in F minor Op.36
          I call it my little Brahms one. A Romantic Party Cracker

Comment

Hey there everybody

Well, Gurn, before I could reply to your post on the previous thread, it was closed when I got back, so I'll just continue here

I guess I've been listening to so many organ works because I recently started playing the organ and it's fascinating me completely. I really think I want to do a degree in church music if it's possible

Anyway, today I listened to Handel's Organ Concertos nos. 4, 5 and 6. Also Chopin Impromptus. Very beautiful!

Comment

Joy,
              Ha, the nice little oboe concerto that we discussed the other day. The man Wolferl wrote it for, Ramm, was reputed to be the best oboist of his time, or probably other times either! It has just enough virtuosity to make it extra special. Yes, great minds...

Spacerl,
              Pastorali is correct, that is just right! Haydn was peerless in the SQ medium, certainly I have favorites among the 68, but I can listen to any one of them and not be sorry for it!

P.
              Well, the whole set of symphonies at once, it is fewer than to buy them one at a time. But the set that I have is the Berlin PO/Rafael Kubelik on DG, Kubelik has a couple of different sets with other orchestras too, but many will say that he is the best conductor of Dvorak. I don't know if that is true because I haven't heard them all, but I can surely say, man, these are good! As for Max, well, perhaps he was just being humble? No?

VC,
              Well, that is quite a major thing, to play the organ, yes? I have a Handel organ concerto, also a Haydn one (!), but other than Bach who wrote so much, for a more modern thing, I have the 6 sonatas or organ by Mendelssohn!! Now, there is something And the Chopinn gives you a pleasant little break too, those Impromptus are very nice.

For me, it is Trio in D major for Fortepiano, Violin & Cello - Hob 15:7 - Joseph Haydn - Trio 1790. Perhaps Rod was correct to send me down this fortepiano path, this treatment of the music is so fine!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

VC,
                Well, that is quite a major thing, to play the organ, yes? I have a Handel organ concerto, also a Haydn one (!), but other than Bach who wrote so much, for a more modern thing, I have the 6 sonatas or organ by Mendelssohn!! Now, there is something And the Chopinn gives you a pleasant little break too, those Impromptus are very nice.

For me, it is Trio in D major for Fortepiano, Violin & Cello - Hob 15:7 - Joseph Haydn - Trio 1790. Perhaps Rod was correct to send me down this fortepiano path, this treatment of the music is so fine!

[/B]
                Hey Gurn,
                Yes, the organ is a really versatile and powerful instrument. The tone colours and sounds you can produce are limitless! It is of course totally different to the piano in terms of expression. You need to use articulation very subtly to convey musical expression, unlike on the piano where you have greater dynamic variation achieved by applying a varying force on the keys.

Both instruments are amazing, and each has its own wonderful properties and possibilities.

Comment

VC,
                  Yes, it makes you admire all the more those players who were virtuosos on both instruments, since it was not "well, it has a keyboard, how different can it be?" I think this is a great thing for you, I hope you progress mightily!

For me, this Haydn trios disk is still going very well - right now it is the one in Eb - Hob 15:10 - Excellent.

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Beautiful blue filled skies this morning and spoiled for choice on my day off!

Starting off with a lovely piece by;
                    GABRIELI: Canzon octavi toni, a 12, C.184.
                    I especially love the wonderful rich sounds of coronetts, sackbutts, and organ.

HANDEL: Zadok the Priest,
                    by my favourite Monteverdi Choir
                    English Baroque Soloists, under J.E.Gardiner.

SCHUMANN: Adagio & Allegro 0p. 70
                    Leif Ove Andsnes (piano)
                    Truls Mork (Cello)

BEETHOVEN: Octet Eb (0p. 103)
                    Netherlands Wind Ensemble

MENDELSSOHN: Octet Eb (0p.20)
                    Vienna Octet.

BEETHOVEN: Symphony no. 5
                    Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra/ Andre Cluytens
                    Phew! I,m wide awake now!
                    that Ludwig sure knows how to stir the emotions everytime!

------------------
                    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-06-2004).]
                    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Amalie,
                      Spoiled for choice indeed. You can't count on summer weather over there, can you? Now that I see the list of instruments in your Renaissance music, I realize that I don't favor it because one of them shares my nickname for my ex-wife! But the rest sound spectacular, indeed, a great start to the day.

For me, I start off with the Concerto in a minor - #2 - Op 85 - J. Nepomuk Hummel. Virtuosi only need apply for this gig!

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This morning it's Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 5. Not always a big Bach fan, but I will listen to Bach and enjoy it.

Comment

Sorrano,
                          Well, if you can't enjoy the Brandenburgs, you might as well give Bach a big miss! IMHO, the most entertaining group of his works.

For me, I continue in the a minor concerto vein, but now we jump ahead 100 years and there is Antonin Dvorak writing his Concerto for Violin in that same key! Op 53. Tomas Zehetmair Philharmonia Orchestra / Eschenbach. Lovely work, epitome of late Romantic VC perfection!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                            [B]Amalie,
                            Spoiled for choice indeed. You can't count on summer weather over there, can you? Now that I see the list of instruments in your Renaissance music, I realize that I don't favor it because one of them shares my nickname for my ex-wife!

No prizes for guessing your chosen nickname for your ex Gurn, you certainly have a way with words! I would love to know what her nickname was for you?

I am not a fan of Janacek, but I thought I would give him a whirl, stay with it and listen to his Quartet no. 1, 'Kreutzer Sonata' , inspired by Leo Tolstoy's Novel - The Kreutzer Sonata.

Tolstoy's story 'The Kreutzer Sonata' tells of a jealous husband who murders his wife because he suspects that she is having an affair with a violinist. (So what did her husband have against violinists? .
                            The husbands sexual jealousy is aroused during a performance by his wife and the violinist of Beethoven's so called 'Kreutzer' violin sonata.

Tolstoy's story conveys its author's obsessive mistrust of the power of music to seduce, enchant, intoxicate and infect its listeners.

Tolstoy himself proposed that the story should serve as the pretext for a performance event in which a reading of the story would be accompanied by a performance of Beethoven's sonata against the backdrop of a painting by Repin.

Listening to this piece, I thought I was in the torture chamber!

------------------
                            ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Muriel, yes, Haydn was quite brillant.

Amalie, some wonderful selections. Enjoy your day off. Those are far and few between.

Sorrano, we must have listened to the same recording this morning. Mine was via radio Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D
                              Berlin Soloists orchestra with Emmanuel Pahud, flute. I must say I enjoy all his Brandenberg concertos. Wonderful music.

Later on playing will include Haydn's Symphony #35 (lots of Haydn out there today I see); Mozart's OT to the The Magic Flute, my favourite of his; and Mozart's Symphony #28 in C K200 via classical radio. Also Beethoven's Trio in B Flat. What would this day be without Beethoven??

------------------

Comment

Amalie,
                                Well, I am at best circumspect, no? I don't quite know what she called me, there were so many things, but at least one of them involved radial symmetry and musculature None of it was true though, I am a Prince
                                Well, I was surprisingly taken with Janacek's SQ, and I will also add, with the Tolstoy novella, which is an excellent example of that peculiarly Russian "guilty conscience/gotta confess" genre. A good read, and only about an hour long.

Joy, your usual marvelous lineup, I see. Pity my NPR station only wants to play the news and talk shows in their lineup, on holidays they carry the national feed and give their locals the day off, and the music and information commentary is superb. I envy those who get that all the time.
                                Oh, do let us know how that Haydn 35 turns out, I am curious about that one as I haven't heard it yet.

But right now, it is the Trio in A major for Fortepiano & Strings - Hob: 15:9 - Haydn. Gamerith Consort. Very nice treatment of a very nice work, from 1785 but still relatively divorced from teh work of Mozart, who he knew well by that time, purely Haydn.

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment