No announcement yet.

What are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I heard for the first time....Brahms violinConcerto in D major..WHAT A SPLENDID and powerfull WORK....

Today I had a thrill at work *although I've still got vacation,I'm working too earn some money before school starts again..I;m lucky enough to be able too work with my father who doesn't mind my classical music fondness and today were MY premieres of...the rhinish symfony nr.3 by schumann.... Liszt's rhapsody espagnol and brahm's 2nd pianotrio *can;t remember the scale however*...Also B'S sixth was performed... in all..a INTERESTING day.

I still managed too get SOME work done though ...

Regards,
    Ruud

Comment

Ruud,
      Yes, the violin concerto is one of Brahms' great works, and one of the best Romantic concertos. It was one of my very earliest concertos when that was all I listened to, so it sold me to listen to Brahms. Of the rest, all excellent, the only one I don't know is the Liszt. This is for solo piano? Sounds interesting. Good, I still also manage to get just a bit done!

Now however, it is "Ma vlast" (My Homeland) by Bedrich Smetana. A worthy predecessor to Dvorak, he didn't have the variety of different forms, but what he did, he did well. London Classical Players / Norrington.

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
        Ruud, believe me , you won't be disapointed with the "Scottish" symphony of Mendelssohn. He thought of it as his best work in that genre. Of course Gurn would debate with me which is his best work.
        King your comments where soo tantialising that I today finally have heard the Scottish symfony of Mendelssohn and I must admit that the last movement really has a rythmic drive over it which makes it hard to ignore splendid piece of work...

Regards,
        Ruud

Comment

Had a WONDERFUL weekend full of spectacular organ and choir concerts, man did I have the time of my life!!

Anyway, today it's Mozart's Requiem in D minor, K.626 and Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony no.6!!!!! COOOOOOOOL!!!!

[This message has been edited by Vipercat (edited 08-17-2004).]

Comment

Luis van Beethoven - Sonatas for Violin and Piano 'Kreutzer' and 'Spring' played by Y. & J. Menuhin

Comment

Ruud,
              I am pleased you took King's good advice. I hope from this that you will become a Mendelssohn fan too, you won;t be disappointed!

VC,
              And you saw this all in person then? Excellent! And an intresting combination this afternoon, too. One bids "adieu" to life, the other welcomes it with open arms!

Pasterl,
              Ah, the busy man, but he does have time for some good music. Tell me, is "J" Hepzibah?? If so, I have heard this playing, it is very nice. Guten Abend, mein Freund,

For me, it is the Serenade in d minor for Winds - Op 44 - Antonin Dvorak.

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well, good morning all! I'll get us started, the 24 hour CD player just keeps on spinning!

Right now, it is the ballet music to Romeo & Julitet by Prokofiev - Kirov Orchestra, Leningrad - Gergiev - Prokofiev is always a brilliant orchestrator, and in this ballet music, he uses each and every instrument of the orchestra so that its tone color adds beautifully to the whole. One need only pick up the cues from the programme listing (The Flight, Dance of the Knights etc.) and one can see the entire story unfold. And the playing of the Russians is brilliant. I think I'll dance now... ouch, that was my toe, girl!

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 08-18-2004).]
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                  Sorrano,
                  Oh, that sounds like a good recording! Stern and Bernstein worked very nicely together, the "big names" in New York at the time. Let us know how it sounds. You are quite right about Dvorak, but my point with v. was more that he was "dangerously modern" by our standards than that he was good or not.

For me, it is the Symphony in E major - #7 - Anton Bruckner - VPO/Abbado - I have to say, Bruckner has a tendency to grow on one, not exactly like moss perhaps, but subtle and alive anyway As I amke my way through the cycle of his symphonies, I am finding myself more and more taken with them.

The 7th is a wonderful symphony. My personal favorite is the 8th. Which conductor are you listening to with these?

This morning the repetitious Borodin's 2nd. There are some things that repetition ruins but there is something about this opening motif that needs the repetition. I will have that running through my head for the next couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                    Well, good morning all! I'll get us started, the 24 hour CD player just keeps on spinning!

Right now, it is the ballet music to Romeo & Julitet by Prokofiev - Kirov Orchestra, Leningrad - Gergiev - Prokofiev is always a brilliant orchestrator, and in this ballet music, he uses each and every instrument of the orchestra so that its tone color adds beautifully to the whole. One need only pick up the cues from the programme listing (The Flight, Dance of the Knights etc.) and one can see the entire story unfold. And the playing of the Russians is brilliant. I think I'll dance now... ouch, that was my toe, girl!

Good day..

Fresh from work and ready too listen once more
                    Today it has been/will be..bruchs violinconcerto nr.1 in G minor and beethovens 5th symphony*playing right now actually* and the first stringquartet commisioned by galatzin and his groBe fuge.furthermore it's been mozarts pianoconcerto in D minor Kv.466

Regards,
                    Ruud

Comment

Working...
                    X