Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ruudp:
    King,
    tempting as it sounds putting on a kilt and dancing on Mendelssohn I must admit that I've never heard the scottisch symphony too my regrets...The Italian one however I DO know and it sounds superbly.
    For me it's been the clarinetconcerto Kv.622 in A major by mozart, liszts la campagnella etude, and 2nd rhapsody in C sharp minor, dvoraks 5th symphony and I've played a waltz by chopin in a minor brown index 150 and some sonatina's by clementi

Regards,
    Ruud
    Ruud, believe me , you won't be disapointed with the "Scottish" symphony of Mendelssohn. He thought of it as his best work in that genre. Of course Gurn would debate with me which is his best work.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      Sorrano,
      Ah, I have never heard those, but the small amount of Barber I have heard I liked. His Violin Concerto is very nice.

For me, it is C.P.E. Bach - Symphony with 12 Obbligato parts for Orchestra - W 183 #1 - This was the formal music of northern Germany that is so often compared to Haydn and Mozart. When critics accuse them of breaking the rules, these are the rulemakers! And the music doesn't suffer for it either, this is very nice music indeed, although humor juxtaposed with drama will NOT be heard!

Barber's Essay for Orchestra No. 2 is one of his most popular and familiar works to most people. Aside from these and an overture (of which I can't remember the name of) I have not heard much but enjoyed what I have heard.

Reading all the wonderful things people are listening to is nice. I've not been where I can listen to much today, so it is the song of the worker and not much else. I'll make up for it tomorrow.

Comment

Good evening all,
        I know it is not the popular thing, but sport took up my day, the golf championship and the Olympics. Gimme a break, it is only once in 4 years!

Spacerl,
        Ah, ye break my heart, Lassie, but that's the way of things. As a tiny-handed person myself, I was hoping you would strike a blow for the cause! I shall look into obtaining that book, there is no greater iconoclast than the old Gurnster! So, WAYLTN?

King,
        Well, really, it is a tossup, I will admit the the Scottish is a better work, structurally it is just more ... complete somehow. But the Italian is for listening to, and hard to beat for that. I will give them a tie. One fortunate thing, they are almost always on the same CD, thus when you get one you get the other. Can't beat that!

Ruud,
        Sonatinas by Clementi? Really? How nice! And are these played on the fortepiano also? You do get the nicest little things over there in the Netherlands, I must say! It took me 3 years to find my first CD of Clementi piano works! But if it evens things out at all, I have K 622 played on a real bassett clarinet! The tonal difference is phenomenal!

Sorrano,
        I am wondering then if the Barber is something that I have heard and didn't know what it was. This is the peril of listening to the radio, sometimes you sit through a whole piece and get to the end and they never tell you! Of course there is also the popular favorite that we have all heard from Barber, the famous Adagio for Strings. Clearly one of the most famous American orchestral pieces ever.

For me now, it is the Sinfonia Concertante in Bb for Oboe, Bassoon, Violin & Cello & Orchestra - Hob. I:105 - Joseph Haydn. Absolutely lovely piece of late period HAydn, written spur-of-the-moment and under pressure, one could never tell it!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

J.G. Rheinberger - Grosse Messe in C - Op.169

Suitable for Sunday 6:47AM

Pastrl

Comment

Morning all..

Superb listening this for me via Radio 3.

Starting with a lovely piece from VIVALDI -
            Concerto 0p.3. no.8, A minor.
            An interesting combination of authentic instruments.
            Andrew Lawrence-King, (double harp and director).
            Thomas Ihlenfeldt, (Theorbo).
            Mike Fentross, (guitar)
            The Harp consort.
            ( a must listen to)

PURCELL: arr. Stokowski
            Dido's Lament from Dido and Aneas
            BBC Philharmonic.

PALESTRINA:
            Motet, Assumpta est Maria
            Tallis Scholars/Peter Phillips

BEETHOVEN's Great Coriolan Overture
            Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra

------------------
            ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Pastrl,
              Ah, Rheinberger! How are you liking him? His work is also thin on the ground, I must say. One never sees it in catalogues, although I suppose you are overrun with it there. You got no email yesterday, I assume? Oh well.

Amalie,
              Well, at least you had B's best non-operatic overture to balance the load a bit.Geez, spacerl would have been delighted with that lineup, as I assume you also were!? But "Coriolan", well, it IS an overture which explains the fact that it is just too short

For me, the Symphony in d minor - #9 - Op 125 - Beethoven. Boston PO / Zander. The fastest-paced version I have, coming in at 57:37 !! And yet never sounds rushed!?? Nicely done, in any case. And then it will be a lovely day for a round of golf. Ahhh, Sunday

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn,
                Your right,I adore Purcell,Dido's lament is wonderful to sing.I think I'll sing it right now!

While my piano playing friend was here yesterday we gave Beethoven's setting of the Scottish folksong "Faithfu' Johnie"a try
                I think our Scottish brogue could have been better.
                Right now I'm listening to Robert Schumann's Symphony in B flat Major from 1841.
                I like it.
                spacerl
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

BEETHOVEN: Piano concerto no.1, c major. 0p.1. And Piano concerto in F minor.op.2 no.1
                  Jeno Jando (piano)

PERGOLESI: Stabat Mater,
                  Robin Blaze [countertenor]
                  Carolyn Sampson [soprano]
                  Accompanied by the period instruments of the Kings Consort.

BEETHOVEN: Mass in C major.
                  Collegium Musicum

------------------

Comment

Gurn
                    Rheinberger's oevre is pretty huge. Many piano works and other compositions too, but I have to admit my knowing is still very thin too... beside this nice Mass, only a Duo for two Pianos, Op.15, which you make me to check out a bit closer next week. thanks for reminding

Luis van Beethoven - WoO 7 - 'Twelve Minuets' - J.Jando -

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Sorrano,
                      I am wondering then if the Barber is something that I have heard and didn't know what it was. This is the peril of listening to the radio, sometimes you sit through a whole piece and get to the end and they never tell you! Of course there is also the popular favorite that we have all heard from Barber, the famous Adagio for Strings. Clearly one of the most famous American orchestral pieces ever.

I believe the joke is on both of us. The Adagio for Strings is the 2nd Essay if I am not mistaken. And if that is correct, then they are essays for String Orchestra.

This morning I picked up on the last two sections of the young Mozart's Missa Brevis and was impressed very much with it. Also caught a couple of Spirituals--amazing and good music! Then, a couple of Dvorak's Legends (orchestral version)--has anyone played the original piano scores? And Beethoven's 5th (Toscanini--going back to my musical roots as this was the very first classical recording I got, still have the LP) just ended and now I am listening to the 6th (also Toscanini). Not a bad day! Later will be more Legends and if I am up to it, Berlioz' Te Deum.

Comment

Spacerl,
                        Well, I called it then, didn't I? It sounded like you when I heard it, Purcell AND Palestrina! Yikeser! However, you have smoothed over any possible problem with the almighty trowel of the Schumann symphony. Good choice. I suspect that one day this pre-Braoque singing will be behind you, and you will be a full-fledged Romantic!

Amalie,
                        Well, you have added enough B to the lineup now to give it some positive direction! And good B at that (it all is, I know, but still there are always some favorites )
                        See, I was right, uyour earlier choices brought spacerl right out of hiding!

P.
                        Well, I shall also have to look into him. It seems strange that his name just hasn't come up before! I am pleased to remind you of that piano duet, I hope you will let us know how is it sounding. Meanwhile, Louis has provided you with some nice dance music, courtesy of Mr. Jando. Perhaps you took a turn around the room with your lovely wife?

Sorrano,
                        Ha! Well, that just goes to show you, one man's essay is another man's adagio! OK, we are all on the same page now! When you said famous work, I could only think of that one by him as famous, just have never heard it called by its real name, I guess.
                        I have rheard the orchestral Legendes by Dvorak, but never the piano reductions, let alone played them. It could have only been on a CD if I was playing it, for sure . So you have had a full day of listening anyway, better than yesterday for you. Bueno.

For me, it is the Concerto in G major for Violin & Orchestra - #2 - Hob. 7a:4 - Pinchas Zukerman / English CO. The dawn of time for the Classical violin concerto!

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Morton Feldman, ...some of his chamber pieces from the 1960's. Do you know of him Gurn???

------------------
                          v russo
                          v russo

Comment

Vivaldi, Concerto for Mandolin, RV.425.

Beethoven, Konig Stephan
                            Toronto Symphony Orchestra.

Schubert, Hoffnung, D 637,
                            Hektors Abscheid, D312b Hectors Farewell.
                            Christoph Pregardien (piano)

CPE Bach, Sinfonia D major, Wq 183 no.1.

------------------

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                              [B]Spacerl,
                              Well, I called it then, didn't I? It sounded like you when I heard it, Purcell AND Palestrina! Yikeser! However, you have smoothed over any possible problem with the almighty trowel of the Schumann symphony. Good choice. I suspect that one day this pre-Braoque singing will be behind you, and you will be a full-fledged Romantic!

Gurn,
                              I can't think for the life of me why you dislike Palestrina. Obviously it has religious content, but its sumptuous harmonies and profound musicality I would have thought would appeal to a lot of people.
                              We shall make a convert of you yet!
                              Yes, I like Spacerl's very good taste in the vocal department.
                              I do love the countertenor voice. And of course Alfred Deller singing Elizabethan songs. And James Bowman singing Vivaldi's Stabat Mater. I love it!

I think Elizabethan songs would also appeal to Spacerl, yes?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-16-2004).]

Comment

Amalie,
                                Well, I guess I am a fairly narrowly focused person, I have learned that I simply can't like everything, so I focus on those things that I know I can easily digest, even with a little bit of fiber and roughage! So I do my best to stick with Late Baroque to Late Romantic, which is really a bit over 200 years. Earlier and later both have certain defects that I can't easily abide. But I certainly don't make an effort to hold others back from enjoying it, by all means, I will keep amused with the 300 or so good composers that I have limited myself to However, the Mandolin Concerto and the Overture you have going now are both on my shelves, so is the CPE Bach Sinfonia, and get frequent play, so while I may have pathological character defects, I DO have a little bit of good taste!

v.
                                I have heard of Feldman, but never heard any of his music. What sort of chamber pieces does he do, like string quartets?

For me, to start out the weekend, it is Charles Gounod - Symphony in D major - #1 - Composed in 1855. This is a great representative of where French Romantic music was between the heavily Italianate Cherubini and the uniquely French St. Säens and Franck. It is hard to compare to anyone else I know, certainly not to the German style of the times like Schumann or early Brahms. Very nice, I recommend it.

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment