What are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now?

This must be the most popular thread! To start this new post off I am now listening to
    Mozart's Divertimento No. 6 in C K 188. A wonderful piece. Also Beethoven's King Stephen coming up shortly.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Joy,
    Well, it is all because of you! That is a great divertimento,listento the orchestration, 2 flutes, 5 trumpets and 4 timpani!! And oddly, that was a fairly common ensemble for div. at the time. Who would have guessed?? And coincidentally, I listened to King Stephan just this morning! We got those waves going, I tell you

For me now though, it is the Trio in e minor for Piano, Violin & Cello - #2 - Op 92 - Camille St Saëns. The 2 piano trios are probably the most "classical sounding" of all of St. Saëns works, and yet purley Romantic too. No geistern here! Lovely.

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Franz Schubert: Mass in G-major D.167
      Sawallisch/Capella Bavariae, Sinfonieorch. B. Rundfunk.

String Quartet Op.131 - New Budapest Quartet.

Friends, I would cook a flavoury Canzone for you - but this way I see no chance...

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 08-04-2004).]

Comment

Hi every body..
        I'm listening to Mozart Symphony no.36 "Linzer"...

Comment

Goldberg Variations BACH Glen Gould(1982 version)

Comment

P.
            Such a pity, I would love a canzone But you have cooked up some good listening anyway, the famous c# minor Quartet! Bueno

Ahmad,
            Great symphony, Mozart's first on such a large scale. The first of the Great 5.

For me it is the Trio in b minor for 2 Violins & Cello - Hob 5:3 - Joseph Haydn. Camerata Berolinensis, au naturel. Bien!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

An early evening with Brahms. His two Serenades for Orchestra. This is Brahms first real venture into purly orchestral music. You could say when it came to composing a symphony he was getting his feet wet with these serenades. Early Brahms but great music.

Comment

I'm enjoying Schumann's symphony in D minor "Zwickau" only two movements though,Schumann didn't finish this one.
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

King,
                  I have found many of Brahms' early works to be first rate, like the first String Sextet, Op 18 or the first Piano trio, Op 8. I think Brahms was such a fussy composer that he probably wrote 50 pieces before he got to Op 1, and they all went into the fireplace! I haven't heard these Serenades yet, but I hope to one day soon.

Space(d),
                  Ah, you threw me a curve there, I remembered Schumann d minor works were all complete so I looked it up, yes, it is the lovely g minor WoO 29, splendid piece of work. Kind of a mystery why it only went 2 movements, but such lovely movements at that. Super!

For me, the trail of Dvorak continues, now is the outstanding Trio in f minor for Piano & Strings - #3 - Op 65 - Beaux Arts Trio. Simply a masterful work, themes that linger in your memory long after the hearing.

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Space(d),
                    Ah, you threw me a curve there, I remembered Schumann d minor works were all complete so I looked it up, yes, it is the lovely g minor WoO 29, splendid piece of work. Kind of a mystery why it only went 2 movements, but such lovely movements at that. Super!
                    [/B]
                    Sorry Gurn,
                    Why do you think they call me space(d)anyway?
                    I could try to blame it on my poor one finger typing ,but I expect it was pure inattention.

But now on to Haydn's Symphony no.90
                    Delightful!
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Space(d),
                      I bet it is because they are jealous! If it had been ME, it would have been the typing. I'm atrociouhsfhujz Ah, Haydn, the period just before the first London trip. A good preview of what was to come. Beginning with the Paris Symphonies, he reached a new plateau (peak?) which he managed to stay on right to the end. Like Mozart's Last 5, Haydn had his Last... 23 !!

For me, it is the marvelous Symphony in d minor - #7 - Op 70 - Antonin Dvorak. Passion, fury, the whole deal!

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

'If music be the food of love, play on' !

A rare treat for me this morning listening to Beethoven's piano sonata 0p. 110,
                        played by, Edwin Fischer!!

Followed by,
                        Mozart, symphony no. 23, K181

Bach Cantata no. 29. "Wir danken dir, Gott, wire danken dir"

Then rounding off with some 'Sugar Puffs' !
                        Gotta keep up those energy levels!

------------------
                        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-05-2004).]
                        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

This morning caught the finale of the 1st piano concerto (Beethoven) played by Schnabel. Very dynamic, very nice!

Comment

Amalie,
                            Yes, thank the powers that be for the early morning restorative value of spun sugar and Mozart! Nothing like good tunes to get you going!

Sorrano,
                            I have never heard Schnabel play a concerto, but he sure plays a mean sonata! Actually, he set the modern standard for sonatas! Bueno!

For me, I have just now finished the mighty 7th, Philharmonia Orchestra / Zander. They make the greatest possible effort to stick to B's tempi throughout, and the result is quite interesting, different from what we are used to. I like it. Now, for a change of pace, it is the Sonata in d minor for Violin & Piano - #1 - Op 75 - Camille St. Saëns. Gil Shaham & Gerhard Oppitz. Man, talk about an eye-opener!!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn, the 7th a mighty piece! Love that one, you gave me a taste for it!
                              Amalie, good choices all of them. I particularly like the Bach (and the sugar puffs)!
                              Muriel, nice selections. I wonder about that Schumann piece not being finished too. I recently heard that on radio. Wonderful piece. Maybe someone can enlighten us!

For me today it's Mozart's Oboe Concerto in C K 314 Conductor Paavo Berglund and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe with soloist Douglas Boyd, oboe. Also Haydn's Symphony No. 1 in D with orchestra Cantilena; and
                              Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 21 in C K 467
                              conductor Andre Previn and the London Symphony Orchestra and Vladimir Ashkenazy, piano, later Beethoven's Piano Sonata #4, all via classical radio. Really enjoyed a Beethoven afternoon yesterday also courtesy of my classical radio station.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X