Beethoven - The new attitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven - The new attitude

One of the most noteworthy social facts aboiut the early 1800's is the gradual change in the individual's position toward his society. Through much of the 18th centruy a person had been bound by tradition, by religious and civil authority, and by class. A persons's lifework was marked out for oneself, almost preordained, in fact; and the freedom with which one could move within that lifework was strongly circuscribed. The musician in that society existed only through the grace of a patron; and was supported by and beholden to such a patron almost entirely.
    Haydn provides the perfect example; for throughout his nearly 30 years of service to the Esterhazy's, he was in effect a high-class servant, and his mode of life would have been unthinkable outside that service.

During the course of the century social attituded changed. Writings of the philosophers and rationalism, the works of Rousseau and Voltaire, the American and French Revolutions, the emergence of the democracies....these all had been steps on the path toward emancipating the individual. And while Haydn was content to remain within the framework of the old system, Mozart's life, as opposed to Haydn's is an equally good example of an individual caught in a transitional period; content to accept the security offered by the system, but too independent to conform to its requirements.

It remained for Beethoven successsfully to complete the struggle against patronage. True, he did have patrons occasionally; but he scorned them even as he made use of them. He was subserviant only to his art, and he cleared his own path---perhaps the first important musician [Handel excepted] to do so. Beethoven became the symbol of the 19th century's free individual.

As a principal feature of the old system, works were commissioned or written for specific occasions. Haydn and Mozart were men of their own time, wrote for their contemporaries, and considered carefully the technical levels of those to whom the works were addressed. Only rarely did they exceed those levels.

Now, Beethoven too accepted commissions and wrote to order; but in him a new attitude is apparent. For the content and technical quality as well as the musical stature of many of the commissioned works far transcend the occasion. And in works which were not occasional pieces or commissioned--- of which types, incidentally earlier composers knew little ---the new attitude is still marked. In them, Beethoven wrote not for his public but according to the dictates of his musical spirit. His imagination and his sense of fitness determined the shape and content of his music. He rarely attempted to be merely entertaining or to meet the social cultural needs of his contemporaries; he forced his public to rise to the 'new world' he created---or revealed. The enormous increase in the technical difficulty, the sheer size, and gthe power of his works is but external evidence of this heightened purpose. It is with the emotional content, the kind of emotions affected, that Beethoven brought a new impulse to music. A composition deserved to be written--even more, had to be written---simply because Beethoven willed it so; whether a practical possibility existed of having it performed or understood immediately interested him not at all.

--Homer Ulrich--

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Yes Amalie, but this was the process known as the Enlightenment which as I recall from previous discussions you were none too keen on?

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 08-16-2004).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Yes Amalie, but this was the process known as the Enlightenment which as I recall from previous discussions you were none too keen on?

Peter,

The enlightenment we were discussing in the past was is an emancipation from the ancien regime. Beethoven I think goes far beyond this. Though he was to some extent dependent on patronage, he was really the first great artist of modern times who forged a public receptive to the force of his own musical will. I would call this 'romaticism', (though I do appreciate and understand this is not a word you are keen on), very much in the mould of the great poets of the time, Wordsworth, Byron, Holderlin, Kleist, Novalis etc. These were men like Beethoven who epitomised the notion of the lonely, indeed tragic individual, harassed by an uncomprehending world who struggled to make their own individual voice heard in an increasingly politically, chaotic and what they would have termed brutalizing commercial and industrial society.

------------------
      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-16-2004).]
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
        Peter,

The enlightenment we were discussing in the past was is an emancipation from the ancien regime. Beethoven I think goes far beyond this. Though he was to some extent dependent on patronage, he was really the first great artist of modern times who forged a public receptive to the force of his own musical will.
        Yes but he couldn't have gone beyond this without the Enlightenment, indeed there could not have been a Beethoven without the Enlightenment which is why I was surprised at your hostility to that movement. You yourself say "Writings of the philosophers and rationalism, the works of Rousseau and Voltaire, the American and French Revolutions, the emergence of the democracies....these all had been steps on the path toward emancipating the individual."

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

He was subserviant only to his art, and he cleared his own path---perhaps the first important musician [Handel excepted] to do so. Beethoven became the symbol of the 19th century's free individual.

Handel was an unusual character in this respect, operating basically as a freelance around Europe for various nobility, then manager/producer of opera for the Royal Academy then operating on his own late in his career at the time of the oratorio concerts.

Also regarding the size of compositions discussed in your article, would like to remind people of the scale of some of Handel's Oratorios is truely epic, lasting well over 3 hours with double chorus and brass/wind sections. I haven't got the same impression in this respect (scale/power) from any later vocal compositions until we get to the Missa Solemnis and the Ode to Joy, bypassing everything else from the late Baroque and Classical period. After his death some of the oratorios were performed in London with colossal choirs, amounting to 1000, with a correspondingly sized orchestra.

We don't really see the return of this kind of thing until the Romantic period, but to me Beethoven's sensibilities are far closer to Handel's than Wagner's, even when the musical language is quite different. Not that size is everything, far from it, but Handel is a composer who stands out from the norm of his time in various respects.

As a treat I offer you a track currently at my Handel Yahoogroup that is truely marvelous, and there's more where this came from if you join up (the Fireworks music at the moment). It is a duet called 'As steals the morn upon the night' from the Pastoral Ode 'L' Allegro, il Penseroso ed il Moderato' which despite the title is an English language composition and one of the great works of all music (Gardiner thinks it is Handel's best English work). Enjoy.. and join up...

The site: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/handelforum/

The MP3 for you guys:
          L'Allegro.mp3

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 08-17-2004).]
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            Handel was an unusual character in this respect, operating basically as a freelance around Europe for various nobility, then manager/producer of opera for the Royal Academy then operating on his own late in his career at the time of the oratorio concerts.

Also regarding the size of compositions discussed in your article, would like to remind people of the scale of some of Handel's Oratorios is truely epic, lasting well over 3 hours with double chorus and brass/wind sections. I haven't got the same impression in this respect (scale/power) from any later vocal compositions until we get to the Missa Solemnis and the Ode to Joy, bypassing everything else from the late Baroque and Classical period. After his death some of the oratorios were performed in London with colossal choirs, amounting to 1000, with a correspondingly sized orchestra.

We don't really see the return of this kind of thing until the Romantic period, but to me Beethoven's sensibilities are far closer to Handel's than Wagner's, even when the musical language is quite different. Not that size is everything, far from it, but Handel is a composer who stands out from the norm of his time in various respects.

As a treat I offer you a track currently at my Handel Yahoogroup that is truely marvelous, and there's more where this came from if you join up (the Fireworks music at the moment). It is a duet called 'As steals the morn upon the night' from the Pastoral Ode 'L' Allegro, il Penseroso ed il Moderato' which despite the title is an English language composition and one of the great works of all music (Gardiner thinks it is Handel's best English work). Enjoy.. and join up...

The site: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/handelforum/

The MP3 for you guys:
            L'Allegro.mp3

I must admit that I don't know much of anything about händels music..but this piece was BEAUTIFULL no matter what the language was/is the music spoke for its selfs..Seldom have i heard such a lovely tranquill piece...thank you very much for sharing this..

Regards,
            Ruud

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
              I must admit that I don't know much of anything about händels music..

Ruud
              Then join my site and you will! Beethoven did not regard Handel as the greatest composer for no reason.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
              X