Beethoven's Sonatina for Mandoline and Piano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Sonatina for Mandoline and Piano

It would appear that the suggestions page is not frequented as often as this page since I haven't had any feedback on a recent entry there.
    I would however make a suggestion here if I may, as an addition to our listening pleasure on Rod's very popular authentic instruments mp3 page, that we might have the opportunity at some point to listen to rarely heard of Beethoven pieces for mandolin and piano.

WoO 43a Sonatina
    WoO 43b Adagio
    WoO 44a Sonatina
    WoO 44b Variations

Many Thanks

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-12-2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

They are rare and we did feature them on the rare page which preceded the authentic mp3s.

Here is some info on them:

Around 1796, Beethoven was commissioned to compose a small collection of works for mandolin and piano by various people. None of these works were ever published during his lifetime - an indication that Beethoven had conceived and composed them mainly for private use by his patrons. The Andante con variazioni in D major WoO44/2 was written for Countess Josephine Clary, (a well-known amateur singer for whom Beethoven also wrote the concert aria 'Ah perfido!') and was published for the first time in 1940. It is based on a theme which was not typical Beethoven. The variations are entirely of an ornamental nature, and shared equally by both instruments. Also composed for Countess Josephine Clary, were the Sonatina in C major, WoO44/1 - a short "Primo Tempo' sonata in which the mandolin almost always plays the melodic line and the piano is limited to accompanying it, as well as the Adagio ma non troppo WoO43/3, in E-flat major, a new arrangement of its predecessor, the Adagio (WoO43/2) - the manuscript of which today is kept in the German State Library. The Adagio ma non troppo, which carries the composer's dedication "pour la belle J.", has the simplified "primo tempo" form of a sonata, and presents a continuing dialogue between the mandolin and the piano. The Sonatina in C minor WoO43/1 on the other hand, was in all probability composed for the Bohemian violinist and mandolin player Werner Krumpholz, who was a close friend of Beethoven. The sonatina begins with a short adagio in C minor, which is followed by a section in the major key.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      They are rare and we did feature them on the rare page which preceded the authentic mp3s.

Here is some info on them:

Around 1796, Beethoven was commissioned to compose a small collection of works for mandolin and piano by various people. None of these works were ever published during his lifetime - an indication that Beethoven had conceived and composed them mainly for private use by his patrons. The Andante con variazioni in D major WoO44/2 was written for Countess Josephine Clary, (a well-known amateur singer for whom Beethoven also wrote the concert aria 'Ah perfido!') and was published for the first time in 1940. It is based on a theme which was not typical Beethoven. The variations are entirely of an ornamental nature, and shared equally by both instruments. Also composed for Countess Josephine Clary, were the Sonatina in C major, WoO44/1 - a short "Primo Tempo' sonata in which the mandolin almost always plays the melodic line and the piano is limited to accompanying it, as well as the Adagio ma non troppo WoO43/3, in E-flat major, a new arrangement of its predecessor, the Adagio (WoO43/2) - the manuscript of which today is kept in the German State Library. The Adagio ma non troppo, which carries the composer's dedication "pour la belle J.", has the simplified "primo tempo" form of a sonata, and presents a continuing dialogue between the mandolin and the piano. The Sonatina in C minor WoO43/1 on the other hand, was in all probability composed for the Bohemian violinist and mandolin player Werner Krumpholz, who was a close friend of Beethoven. The sonatina begins with a short adagio in C minor, which is followed by a section in the major key.

Thanks for the fascinating information Peter.
      I am intrigued by the reference to the publication in 1940. I presume that was not in Germany, which was of course at that time otherwise engaged elswhere

------------------
      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

I would however make a suggestion here if I may, as an addition to our listening pleasure on Rod's very popular authentic instruments mp3 page, that we might have the opportunity at some point to listen to rarely heard of Beethoven pieces for mandolin and piano.

WoO 43a Sonatina
        WoO 43b Adagio
        WoO 44a Sonatina
        WoO 44b Variations

Many Thanks

As Peter said I presented 2 or 3 of these excellent pieces (perfomed on authentic instruments) at the 'rare music' page some time ago, I'm surprised you missed them. Considering we are concerned with the opus number works on the 'authentic page' (for my convenience if nothing else as I have many authentic WoO tracks too) these mandolin pieces do not really qualify for inclusion.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
        X