Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Romance no.2 Op.50

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

Great recording I'd say..I've never heard this recording but it sounds okay..but then again it's a dutch orchestra....one can't go wrong with a Dutch Orchestra

Regards,
    Ruud

Comment

Aside from the sound of the violin, I'd say this was a good recording. Pretty good tempo, skilled playing, and all of that. Thanks for sharing it, Rod.

Comment

You can't really go far wrong with Bruggen and Beethoven. This is the best, perhaps the only, CD for the Violin concerto in my opinion. I am not sure if the technique of the soloist here could be construed as truely 'authentic' as I imagine it, but authoritative at least.

I did not know the Orchestra of the 18th Century was Dutch. The Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra is fantastic.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 08-11-2004).]
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thank you for this lovely piece, Rod. Thoroughly enjoyed it, as usual.

I have this work on a CD which includes the "Romance for Violin and Orchestra No. 1 in G major, Op.40" and the "Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D major, Op.61" with soloist Shlomo Mintz and the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Giuseppe Sinopoli.

From the CD insert by William Drabkin:

The circumstances under which Beethoven composed his two Romances for Violin and Orchestra are not known; the pieces appear to date from around the turn of the 19th century, but are not mentioned in correspondence with publishers until late 1802. Both could be regarded as slow movements for violin concertos that never came into being; it is possible that the composer's models for these pieces were the slow movements of Mozart's piano concertos in D minor and C minor, both of which he performed in public; that of the D minor work is actually entitled "Romance". The form of the genre grows from the contrast between a lyrical opening theme and a stormier, more virtuoso interior episode; but while Mozart used a simple ternary form, Beethoven's Romances are cast in rondo form.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
            ....but while Mozart used a simple ternary form, Beethoven's Romances are cast in rondo form.
            As i have mentioned before I would be most surprised if Beethoven had originally conceived these Romances as slow concerto movements in Rondo form, as I can't think of any other comparable movement from Beethoven's output. I suggest if this was the case a considerable re-write would have been done. If they were conceived near enough as they currently stand then I suggest they cannot have ever been 'slow' concerto movements in the traditional sence, for Beethoven typically reserved rondos for finales.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 08-12-2004).]
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
            X