Is Toscanini the way to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Toscanini the way to go?

Hi, I'm still new here. I am considering purchasing all of Beethoven's symphonies conducted by Arturo Toscanini with the NBC Orchestra that have been remastered on cds. However, I am also open to the idea of Karajan's. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best Beethoven cycle recordings?
    Also, I changed my former username -- Gregorian_Chant_Lover

Originally posted by Gregorian:
    Hi, I'm still new here. I am considering purchasing all of Beethoven's symphonies conducted by Arturo Toscanini with the NBC Orchestra that have been remastered on cds. However, I am also open to the idea of Karajan's. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best Beethoven cycle recordings?
    Well, I shall call you Greg, it is easier
    In any case, I have heard Toscanini's vrsions of most of the symphonies, and they are quite good with reasonable sound quality for the age they were made. I beleive they are recorded in "mono" sound which you may want to take into consideration. If you want to go with Karajan (I did) by all means, go with the set recorded in 1962/63, it is far superior to the later sets. I guess the BPO just didn't have the same personnel in the late '70's as earlier. The so called "Karajan 63" set is one of the big values in Beethoven symphony cycles. Of course there are plenty others out there too, you should look about before committing. You might try sets conducted by Gardiner, Zinman, Harnoncourt or Hogwood for a more accurate rendition. Believe me, any of them will blow you away!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

That is a very difficult question as everyone's tastes are different and sometimes you have to sample different conductors methods to know which ones you prefer. Let's not forget to mention Carlos Kleiber's excellent rendition of Beethoven's 5th although he has not recorded all 9symphonies in their entirity yet, such a pity. Have you tried listening to some outtakes at your CD store. Sometimes this is a good thing to do as then you have an idea as to which renditions you might prefer.

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Roger Norrington's cycle is available very cheaply (in the UK at least) and is a very good period instruments version.

I think it's on the Virgin Veritas label.

Comment

My introduction to the Beethoven symphonies came via Toscanini recordings (of which his 5th remains my favorite of the 5ths). These were not remastered and, in fact, last night received the remastered set and listened to some of the samplings of the before and after. I don't think you can go wrong with it. I have been very pleased with the Karajan cycle, as well (at least the earlier '63 edition).

Comment

Sorry - predictable for those who know me here - but the Toscanini Beethoven cycle has complete discipline,accuracy and emotion, even in mono. If you want the Maestro's Symphonies to touch you like no other inerprteation can then my advice is to go straight for Toscanini. Especially the Seventh "The Apotheosis of the Dance" according to Wagner. Listen to the last movement and I defy anyone not to leap out of their computer seat ad dance in pure joy

------------------
            Love from London
            Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
              Sorry - predictable for those who know me here - but the Toscanini Beethoven cycle has complete discipline,accuracy and emotion, even in mono. If you want the Maestro's Symphonies to touch you like no other inerprteation can then my advice is to go straight for Toscanini. Especially the Seventh "The Apotheosis of the Dance" according to Wagner. Listen to the last movement and I defy anyone not to leap out of their computer seat ad dance in pure joy

I am most familiar with the 3rd, 5th, and 9th. Your description of the 7th makes me want to stay home from work and listen to the whole set--especially the 7th!

Comment

Toscanini's genius overcomes the dreadful sound qualities in the LVB symphonic recordings. Go straight for the 2nd movement of the 6th symphony to understand this concept. It was my least favourite bit of music until it heard the AT treatment. What a marvellous interpretation!

Karajen??? UGHHHH!!! Unfortunately noone seems to have come with a better recording of the Missa Solemnis.

------------------
                A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage
                A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Comment

Originally posted by lvbfanatic:
                  Karajen??? UGHHHH!!! Unfortunately noone seems to have come with a better recording of the Missa Solemnis.
                  I have never heard Noone's version. Where can I obtain that?

Has Noone recorded any other of Beethoven's works apart from the Missa Solemnis?

Melvyn.

Comment

I think the absolutly best version is from Rene Leibowitz
                    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Originally posted by melvyn:
                    I have never heard Noone's version. Where can I obtain that?

Has Noone recorded any other of Beethoven's works apart from the Missa Solemnis?

Melvyn.
                    Ulrich Voelkening

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ulrich.Voelkening:
                      [B]I think the absolutly best version is from Rene Leibowitz
                      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      The John Eliot Gardiner ( no relation) version on Archiv is pretty special too!

------------------
                      Beethoven the Man!
                      Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll decide on Toscanini.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll decide on Toscanini.
                          You can't go wrong with him. There are other great versions and cycles, but there are not many that have the reputation as does the Toscanini cycle. And that reputation is backed by his skill and greatness as a musician and conductor.

Comment

Hi:
                            I'm new in this place.
                            I love Toscanini set. I knew Beethoven symphonies through it. I think the remastering is quite good and it is worth.
                            From the Leiwobitz cycle I only know the 5th. What a powerful 5th! It is played with the original metronomic tempi.
                            May I suggest George Szell's cycle?

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                            X