On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

On August 4, 1782, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Constanze Weber got married. Mozart finally got the nerve to introduce his bride, Costanza, to his father. It was a three-month trip to Salzburg from Vienna, where they were living. On the way home they stopped off in Linz, where Mozart wrote a symphony in four days and got it performed. It was the Symphony No. 36 in C Major, the "Linz" Symphony.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Thanks for sharing this with us, Joy.

Four days? That lazy Mozart

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      On August 4, 1782, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Constanze Weber got married.
      What music was played at the wedding?
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Is this a Jeopardy question Muriel? I must confess I don't know. Anyone else care to take a stab at it?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
          What music was played at the wedding?
          It was a private ceremony at St.Stephen's cathedral (Vienna)with only Frau Weber, her youngest daughter, Sophie, Constanze's guardian Von Thorwart and the best man Franz Von Gilovski. After the ceremony there was a wedding feast at the house of Baroness Von Waldstadten - Mozart's only description of this is brief: 'more princely than baronial'.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
            Thanks for sharing this with us, Joy.

Four days? That lazy Mozart
            By the way, he wrote "Eine Klein natchmusic" in one day !

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              On August 4, 1782, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Constanze Weber got married. Mozart finally got the nerve to introduce his bride, Costanza, to his father. It was a three-month trip to Salzburg from Vienna, where they were living. On the way home they stopped off in Linz, where Mozart wrote a symphony in four days and got it performed. It was the Symphony No. 36 in C Major, the "Linz" Symphony.

Was Constanze in relation to C M Von Weber?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Was Constanze in relation to C M Von Weber?
                Yes, they were cousins. I can find out a more detailed tree if you wish, but I know beyond doubt they were some order of cousins.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                  Yes, they were cousins. I can find out a more detailed tree if you wish, but I know beyond doubt they were some order of cousins.

Thanks! Seems like I've heard that now that you mention it. However, was not Constanze a generation older than C.M.?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Thanks! Seems like I've heard that now that you mention it. However, was not Constanze a generation older than C.M.?
                    Well yes, a generation older since he was not born until 1786 while she married Mozart 5 years earlier. However, they would still be called the same generation because her father, Fridolin Weber, and his father, Anton Weber, were brothers. You make the call!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

When anyone mentions Mozart it is usually in reference to Wolfgang (rarely his father or wife) but as I recall, Costanza attempted suicide after Wolfie died - then, later went on to marry a wealthy nobleman and live to a ripe old age. I also recall that she had a thing about money that Wolfie was never able to satisfy. Am I correct?

------------------

Comment

I think Constanza had her hands full just trying to keep up with Mozart's spendthrift ways,he was the one with the taste for fine things.They moved house a lot ,a nicer house when things were going well but likely to get downgraded when money was scarce.Mozart fretted a lot about his wife's health and sent her off to spas for the cure .
                        I think after her husbands death Constanza wanted to maintain her social status to the best of her ability.
                        I can't remember but wasn't her second husband Georg Nissan a Count?
                        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                        X