So, NOW what are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorrano,
    See, I was so long winded in my last post that you snuck in there on me! Bet that is Melvyn Tan, or not(?)he is the only Tan I know! He plays this on Fortepiano, yes? Rod rightly points out that when he is good, he is very good indeed, but he is not always good. I would love to hear this version. I have never heard of Lazaar Berman, which means nothing at all. Perhaps one day...
    Absolutely right about the Dvorak, I listened to it again just the other day. Of course, i am prejudiced, I believe ALL symphonies should be in d minor... but yo are also right about the early symphonies, even the #1, "The Bells of Zlonice" is a very nicely written and entertaining piece.
    Thanks for the info on the Sibelius impromptus. It seems whenever Sibelius is mentioned, only his symphonies and the Karelia Suite are ever discussed, occasionally the Violin Concerto. I would like to hear some works from him for smaller forces and solo piano, I know he wrote some, but to find them...

For me now, it is the Quartet in c minor for Strings - #1 - Op 51 #1 - Johannes Brahms - Also the Melos Quartet. Too nice, really.

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I am listening to a CD that has Beethoven's Pathetique and Hammerklavier piano sonatas, and also his fantasia, op.77, played by Rudolf Serkin. I really like his interpretation of the Hammerklavier, and the fantasia is lovely. It's one of my favourite pieces.

Comment

Tegan,
        Great music, all on one disk! Serkin is one of my favorite pianists, although in Beethoven, I only have his Cello Sonatas with Casals, but they are wonderful.

For me, I am listening to the Quartet in a minor for Strings - #2 - Op51 #2 - -Johannes Brahms - Melos Quartet - Simply excellent playing of excellent music, you can't beat that!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          Sorrano,
          See, I was so long winded in my last post that you snuck in there on me! Bet that is Melvyn Tan, or not(?)he is the only Tan I know! He plays this on Fortepiano, yes? Rod rightly points out that when he is good, he is very good indeed, but he is not always good. I would love to hear this version. I have never heard of Lazaar Berman, which means nothing at all. Perhaps one day...
          Absolutely right about the Dvorak, I listened to it again just the other day. Of course, i am prejudiced, I believe ALL symphonies should be in d minor... but yo are also right about the early symphonies, even the #1, "The Bells of Zlonice" is a very nicely written and entertaining piece.
          Thanks for the info on the Sibelius impromptus. It seems whenever Sibelius is mentioned, only his symphonies and the Karelia Suite are ever discussed, occasionally the Violin Concerto. I would like to hear some works from him for smaller forces and solo piano, I know he wrote some, but to find them...

For me now, it is the Quartet in c minor for Strings - #1 - Op 51 #1 - Johannes Brahms - Also the Melos Quartet. Too nice, really.

You probably won't find a lot about the piano works; I don't think there are very many. But what there are and what I've heard are very good. Sometimes I get a hint of Grieg in them, probably folk song elements creeping in.

Also listened to Sibelius' Sonata in F, very enjoyable!

Comment

Reply from Geratlas,

Amalie
            As for recordings of Franz Schubert's overtures (especially for those in Italin Style) I need some time to check it up. My CD was released on Arts music company in 1995 (ARTS 47168

Thankyou for you help Geratlas, I shall have a good look on my next visit to Tower Records, London. They usually come up trumps.

Just time for a few refreshing lovely songs from Schubert this am.

Nacht und Traume, D827
            Lied der Delphine, D857
            Stimme der Leibe D412
            Sprache der liebe, D410
            Leibhalber in allen Gestalten, D558

Meet you all later!

------------------
            ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-02-2004).]
            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Sorrano,
              Well, I shall look for some disks of thise, perhaps I shall get lucky and find the piano sonata on the saem disk. I can see why he would sound like Grieg, if those Impromptus are at all reminiscent of the Lyric Pieces, they would certainly be fine! Thanks for the info.

Amalie,
              Well, that is certainly a lot of singing to start off the week with, dear, but if it is Schubert, it can't be all bad!

For me, it is Dvorak, this time the Slavonic Dances, but arranged for Piano 4 Hands by Dvorak himself. They convey a particular feeling, much like the original versions of Brahms Hungarian Dances, which were also for Piano 4 Hands. Worth checking into.

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali, about Anselm Hüttenbrenner:Over many years he was the closest friend of Schubert, which he learned to know while lessons of Salieri. Franz Schubert said about him: "You are my musical mainstay!". Hüttenbrenner's most popular work is his Requiem, which was played at Beethoven's funeral. Over all he wrote 8 Symphonies, Chamber music, 10 Masses, 5 Requiems, 220 Songs, 8 Operas, 300 Quartets for Men and Choir... But almost nothing is published until today. All the original partitures, most of them only existing as autographs are still in Graz, Austria (Musikwissenschaftliches Institut) At the time he lived in Vienna his music was pretty well known, but then he had to move to Graz and his music became more and more forgotten.
                Heaven, one should dig out that stuff
                There's only one thing to say then, Passe-tour-à-lui!
                It must be said, that your info is cordially well appreciated. (Gurn found it great, too, eh?) Dear Palsternack, if you find it pleasing, let us know more of his music... I take it you possess a handsome collection of these and you surely seems to got notion of his person in general... The Missa Requiem of his I've never even heard of before. Many ThankS! (Gerry!?... I niced that!)

Amalie,
                As you seem to be a notorious Schubert-lover I can most heartily recommend the Arts CD. To my knowledge there exists only 3 CD's exclusively devoted to his orchestral overtures to this day(!) of which this is 1.
                It got 8 tracks, incl. the 2 in Italian Style, that jovial jewel (D.4) probably made for the play 'Der Teufel als Hydriaulicus', and that for his last finished and grandest opera: 'Fierabras'.

Gurn I recconed you owned the Fidelio/Leonore = CBE volume 4. Don't you? If so... WHY not? -^- Psychos logi?
                (PS.Theorizing psychology when you can practise it? Just listen to WM's Ave verum corpus, or FS's Intende voci. I did 'Cognito credo'.DS.)
                Jour-Pal-Gerry (name of Nepalese sherpa with RT?)

Comment

Ger,
                  Yes, it was nice to find someone had that info, I usually have to look it up myself, which in the case of someone like this, it can take a long time. No, I don't own all the volumes of the CBE yet, I buy them one at a time as they show up for me, and I can afford them. If Vol. 4 came along right now, I would most likely get it though, since I now have all the instrumental music, so that just leaves operas, a little bit of incidental music, and of course the folksongs and secular singing, which I only have a little bit of. All in good time, my friend
                  I have tried to not theorize psychology whenever it is possible to not do so, however, that is not often the case any more, as I am dealing all the time with people who need as musch psychologizing as possible So it goes.
                  So to make things more palatable, I listen to Brahms, the Symphony in D major - #2 - Scottich Symphony Orchestra/MacKerras, and things get better instantly! It is like therapy

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 08-02-2004).]
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sounds lik everyone's already enjoying a full day of music. Good choices out there! This morning I heard via radio Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 2 in F K 280 with Alicia de Larrocha, piano. A very pleasant tune that got me tapping my foot this morning. After that was Felix Mendelssohn's Hebrides (a favourite of mine) and the Overture by Fanny Mendelssohn (Hensel)conducted by JoAnn Falletta and the The Women's Philharmonic. Sounded ot me like bits of her brother's "Midsummer Night's Dream Overture" melody in it. She wrote over 400 tunes.

------------------
                    'Truth and beauty joined'
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

'Der Teufel als Hydraulicus' That sounds really good Well, Today - 4/5 of the day it were Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, played by that Perl. 1/5 Schubert, Symphonies #2 and 4..., which both are in my inner circle of the 'all time favorites'.

Gurn
                      You know I'm an old 'Breaker' and I thought the source of his Kol Nidrei are old Scottish wises, what of course not has to mean, it's not a Jewish funeral piece
                      Before I listened to Op.88
                      Double Concerto for Clarinet, Viola and Orchestra. Super!

The CD offers more good pieces - I love the Ave Maria Op.61. Yes, yes, I know, only his Violin Concerto No.1 is worth to listen

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 08-02-2004).]

Comment

Joy,
                        de la Rocha is well known to be a great Mozartian, at least the so personal sonatas. I have heard and admired her on the radio. Nice sonata too, an early favorite. I didn't know Fannie had written that much, I thought just a few things. I know that Felix felt she should leave man's work to men! Even still they were very close.

P.
                        No, not Scottish this time, it has to do with Day of Atonement actually, but it sounds funereal to me! Tell me, this Op 88, this is Bruch still? What an interesting combination. You know, that could be a Sinfonia Concertante! Please don't think that VC #1 is the only, his 2 & 3 are as good or better, and my preference is Scottish Fantasia for Violin & Orch. Some of your bonny folk songs still. You should write to me, I am having a problem.

For me, it is Dvorak, The Overture "My Home" Op 62 - I was surprised to find that he wrote several overtures other than Carnival. They are all pretty good too.

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 08-02-2004).]
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                          Please don't think that VC #1 is the only, his 2 & 3 are as good or better, and my preference is Scottish Fantasia for Violin & Orch.

Don't fear that! Bruch was my start into CM and one can't forget something like that We were brought on this topic because this 'Song of the Bell', of which Space gave us just a little ray of informations though I'm well suited with Bruch's Violin works and so I declared my evening will be 'Breaky' today

Konzertstück in F sharp minor Op.84

PS: That "S.C." Op.88 is by Max, yes.

Comment

P.
                            Ah, so you know Bruch as I know Vivaldi concertos then eh? Very good, I was not knowing that, I will get all this information from you by and by. Space(d) does sometimes not tell all, we will work with her on that.

For me, it is now another Overture by Dvorak - "In Nature's Realm" - Op 91 - Another most attractive piece. These overtures are nearly so long and similar to a symphonic poem, that one wonders why they are not called that, given that they have somewhat of a programme.

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Schumann Symphony 'Numero 4': an orchestral Träumerei.
                              (And it's in D minor, Gurn!)

Amalie Which are your favourite Lieder by Schubert? - I'll tell you mine, later, if you want to. Ok?

Comment

Well, I am really into church and sacred music this week. I've been listening to several organ works by Bach, and I love the notorious Toccata and Fugue in D minor. Then I listened to Mozart's Requiem K.626 and Handel's Messiah. Love the section "For unto us a child is born" it's so joyful!!!

Then of course, wonderful Beethoven's 1st and 2nd Piano Concertos (Andras Schiff on piano).

Comment

Working...
                                X