No announcement yet.

So, NOW what are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a way to start of a new month. I finally received three new discs I had ordered. The first I listened to was the Michael Haydn Requiem Mass. Also on the disc are two symphonies, one of them being the one attributed to Mozart (No. 37) and another in B flat major.
    The next disc I heard is music of Antonio Rosetti (1750 - 1792), two symphonies in D major, a Concerto for Oboe and orchestra and a rather short Symphonie concertante for 2 Violins and Orchestra and last but not least I am now listening to another Hummel Piano concerto in C Major, Op.34? along with a Rondo brillant Op.56 and finally another Rondo brillant Op.98
    My dear friends in music I feel like a "King" dining on such wonderful music.
    It's hard to believe, aside from the Haydn Symphony in G, I had never heard any of this music. Thank the heavens for CD's.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
      What a way to start of a new month. I finally received three new discs I had ordered. The first I listened to was the Michael Haydn Requiem Mass. Also on the disc are two symphonies, one of them being the one attributed to Mozart (No. 37) and another in B flat major.
      The next disc I heard is music of Antonio Rosetti (1750 - 1792), two symphonies in D major, a Concerto for Oboe and orchestra and a rather short Symphonie concertante for 2 Violins and Orchestra and last but not least I am now listening to another Hummel Piano concerto in C Major, Op.34? along with a Rondo brillant Op.56 and finally another Rondo brillant Op.98
      My dear friends in music I feel like a "King" dining on such wonderful music.
      It's hard to believe, aside from the Haydn Symphony in G, I had never heard any of this music. Thank the heavens for CD's.

Steve

Very tastefully chosen Steve, I can quite confidently say that you will enjoy every moment listening.

I have been listening to an interesting enjoyable piece of early music by Tomas de Torrejon y Velasco's 'La Purpura de la rosa ( The blood of the rose),
      the first Opera ever to be performed in the New World, which received its premiere in 1701 in Lima, Peru.

The Opera takes us through the very beautuful story of Venus & Adonis, of love & mortality and the harmony of music of the spheres. And then there is the ultimate debate about whether 'love' is good for you.
      played on authentic instruments. Most enjoyable!

The on to The Sunday Gala programme with,
      the less often played (IMO) Beethoven's lovely piano sonata in G, 0p 31.no.1,
      know as one of Beethoven's more 'quirky' sonatas, brilliant though it is!
      Played by Murray Perahia.

Schumann, Phantasiestucke, 0p.12.

J.Brahms, Variations and fugue on a theme by Handel. 0p.24.

------------------
      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-01-2004).]
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Amalie
        This recording is by Richard Hickox/Collegium Musicum 90. I love this Mass, it has grown on my heart indeed. It was also Hüttenbrenner's and Schubert's favorite at their time.

Geratlas
        Hüttenbrenner's String Quintet in C? How do you find this one? It's high on my watchlist too (like everything else of him, I still await a CD of his Piano work 'Geisterszenen". I just found out the String Quintet in C "is a relatively early work of him" that means it should be written before 1840.

King
        Great you are feeling like a King. So many years of listening to CM and you are still so passionate, that's wonderful! I know for myself - it's still a long way to go. For good luck!!!

Gurn
        Piano...nur nicht forte! Staccato NICHT!

My tunes today:
        LvB - Symphony in D, Op.125 - Hanover Band/Goodman
        Roberta Flack - Referend Lee
        Duke Ellington - Back to Back, Side by Side
        Mozart - Concertones KV 364 and KV 190
        Violin Concertos KV211 and KV 216

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 08-01-2004).]

Comment

Right now on ARTE, 19:00
          "Hommage to Carlos Kleiber"
          Münchener Herkulessaal - 1996 Bayerisches Staatsorchester:
          Johannes Brahms, Symphony #4

Mozart, Violin Concerto #4 KV 218 - what a lovely one

Comment

A Max Bruch oratorio,The Song of the Bell,
            very nice writing for voices.I've never heard this or any work of Bruch apart from the violin concertos.
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

King,
              Those sound like some really great music. Of them, the attrib to Mozart is the only M. Haydn I've heard, There is such a huge world of music out there, one can scarcely scratch the surface, even in a lifetime! And it is not a case of not having the CD's available sometimes, it is to not have the time to seriously sit down and listen to them, as one of our friends was writing to me about last night! I would bet that Hummel writes a mean Rondo Brillant, no? All his piano music is Brillant, as far as I can tell.

Amalie,
              Edifying listening, as always for you. That is an interesting bit of trivia, I shall not forget it! It may show up in a quiz some day. As for the nub of the debate, even 300 years later, or 3000, that issue is unresolved, since it a paradox of the "can't live with it, can't live without it" variety. Oh, Op 31 #1 is one of my favorites! I suspect it has to do with the innate quirkyness I share with it

P.
              Of course, I could not agree more! Do not hit me with that baton! But you must admit, Pathetique on a harpsichord, that would be ... pathetic! Great music though, the segue from Ellington to Mozart is mind-blowing! Have you heard Ellington's Piano Concerto? I did once on the radio, that was cool

Now, it is time for Telemann, Fantasia for Solo Violin - Andrew Manze plays it. Excellente! As was my golf game today, best score I ever shot! Can't beat that

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                A Max Bruch oratorio,The Song of the Bell,
                very nice writing for voices.I've never heard this or any work of Bruch apart from the violin concertos.

Space!
                Wilkommen! Posts crossed I guess. Yes Max Bruch is a very nice composer. I have in addition to the concertos, some really nice chamber music that he wrote for friends and didn't publish in his lifetime, a piano quintet, string quintet and string octet. Never heard the oratorio though. Very nice.
                For me now, it is a Concerto in A for Fortepiano & String Orchestra - Dittersdorf.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                  Hüttenbrenner's String Quintet in C? How do you find this one? It's high on my watchlist too (like everything else of him, I still await a CD of his Piano work 'Geisterszenen". I just found out the String Quintet in C "is a relatively early work of him" that means it should be written before 1840.
                  Thanx for this info, prächt'ger Pater Ally! Nonetheless I fear I have to disappoint you when I confess error: the Quintet is in C minor(!), of course!!! I was not aware there exists one in C major, as well? I'm not much wiser, than before, obviously... And dear P., would you please tell me something of Herr Anselm Hüttenbrenner and his works. I would be very much grateful.

Amalie
                  As for recordings of Franz Schubert's overtures (especially for those in Italin Style) I need some time to check it up. My CD was released on Arts music company in 1995 (ARTS 47168-2).

Händel - Concerti grossi, opus 3...
                  Schubert - Ständchen...
                  Beethoven - Symphony in F - thePastoral1

Comment

From 'Das Lied von der Glocke' by Max Bruch is said it was his most popular work at that time. An ear full of it would be nice, also those Chamber music sounds interesting. I got some pieces for Cello, Clarinet and Piano Op.3 and 83 - listening to those makes me merely sad

More cheerful things by Mozart, W.A.
                    Concerto for Oboe and Orchestra K 314
                    Splendid for me

Comment

Gerry
                      There are two works in C-moll. a Quartet and also a Quintet. Over all he wrote 8 Symphonies, Chamber music, 10 Masses, 5 Requiems, 220 Songs, 8 Operas, 300 Quartets for Men and Choir... But almost nothing is published until today. All the original partitures, most of them only existing as autographs are still in Graz, Austria (Musikwissenschaftliches Institut) At the time he lived in Vienna his music was pretty well known, but then he had to move to Graz and his music became more and more forgotten. Over many years he was the closest friend of Schubert, which he learned to know while lessons of Salieri. Franz Schubert said about him: "You are my musical mainstay!" and "your faithful friend forever" Franzl dedicated the Symphony #8 to Hüttenbrenner and gave him the partiture of his 'unFinished' as a present. Until 1865 it was in his hands, before it was made public. Hüttenbrenner's most popular work is his Requiem, which was played at Beethoven's funeral.

Heaven, one should dig out that stuff

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 08-01-2004).]

Comment

Ger,
                        Thanks for bringing Huttenbrenner into the discussion! I knew when I went looking this mornign that this was a familiar name but could not place it, however Pastor's mention of B's funeral and the Schubert connection have done it. I have only read about him though, his music is thin on the ground. Soon it shall be on my shelf though, as I found that CD of the Quintet in c minor and the Schubert Nonet, on CPO. Good, I like the Early Romantic, many worthwhile compositions. I like also those Handel Oboe Concerti, and it goes without saying, no country boy could not feel Pastoral for the 6th. So goos afternoon

P.
                        Yes indeed, the great concerto for Ramm, considered the great oboist of his time. Pity oboe concerti went out of fashion, tose like this one, and the Handel that Ger was listening to, are really some very good music. One wonders if there became a shortage of good players?? This concerto sounds equally good on the flute too, as Amadé scored it himself. Interesting the Bruch Clarinet Trio makes you sad, for me, I am only sad that I don't have it
                        Thanks also for all that info on Hut... it has saved me from hunting it myself, because I was curious "where have I heard that name before?", but I knew it was not that I have heard his music. Now I know.

For me, it is now the Divertimento for String Trio in G major - #20 - Hob 5:20 - Joseph Haydn - Camerata Berolinensis playing it. The earliest form of "modern" chamber music. Great!

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                          Interesting the Bruch Clarinet Trio makes you sad, for me, I am only sad that I don't have it

Gurn
                          Wrong information. Op.3 is from Alexander von Zemlinsky. (1871-1942)
                          Op.83 is Bruch 'Eight pieces for Clarinet, Cello and Piano' , which I'm listening right now. It's a bit melancolic anyway, but very nice. Thanks for making me checking out!
                          Played by 'Trio Zemlinsky' so one can be dazed by names...

Comment

Joy,
                            Delighted you could join us on this beautiful, musical Saturday. And brought along some good tunes too! You are right, one of B's best overtures. And have you planned out the evening by disk? Or is that a radio programme? In either case it is an excellent grouping, one of H's best symphonies along with 2 of B's great ones.

Hi Gurn, the program was via the radio. It was a fantastic show starting out with Beethoven's Symphony No. 3 in E-Flat Op 55 "Eroica" with Conductor James Levine
                            and the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra
                            next came Beethoven's Symphony No. 4 in B-Flat Op 60 with Conductor Leonard Bernstein
                            and the Vienna Philharmonic. Good listening!For today it was Mozart's Piano Concerto #16 and his Piano Concerto #19. Also throw in a little more Beethoven with his Leonore #3. A most enjoyable Sunday. BTW, how was your listening pleasure this morning with the 9th and congratulations on your golf game!

------------------
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 08-01-2004).]
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

P.
                              Well, too much psychology is not good for you, look at what it has done already, permanent damage, I fear Good listening that Serenade, is it not? And yes, that Naxos /Jando combination has paid off for me so far, as I have just a whole lot of their disks.

But now, it is the Sonata in f minor - #23 - Op 57 - "Appassionata". Wilhelm Kempff, my favorite Beethoven pianist at the keyboard. Outstanding!

This morning I was entranced by Robert (?) Tan's version of the Appassionata. I've not heard him before and I liked it very much. I will have to listen again to Kempf's (I have that) and Lazaar Berman's as well.

Later, the Dvorak Symphony No. 4 in d minor. His earlier symphonies deserve more attention.

The Sibelius impromptus and simply wonderful piano minatures. Nicely written and someday I may try playing them. They are tuneful and very delightful.

Comment

P.
                                Ah, I have never heard the Zemlinski either, but almost all of the Bruch I have heard, with the excepion of the Kol Nidrei for Cello (it's a Jewish funeral piece) has been very upbeat. I am going to look for that disk though, I like clarinet music. Even a polka now and then! BTW, I have been dazed by names most of my life, a difficult position for one who enjoys history so much! Of course, now that i am gotten older, you think it is better? Nah!

Joy,
                                An excellent lineup anyway. I have heard several B symphonies by VPO/Bernstein, but never the 4th. As far as I know, they didn't do a complete cycle (I am probably wrong), but if I ran acroos one, I would buy it based on the ones I have heard.
                                That Hanover 9th is very interesting indeed. It is short like most HIP versions, 63 minutes I think, but it doesn't play fast if that makes sense. One striking place is the Turkish March in the 4th mvmt, it is the slowest I've ever heard, you can hear every note clearly struck (esp. on the timpani), and yet even though it is so different, it in no way seems bizarre (OK, on second hearing that's true, first time...). So I was very pleased, this is 2 new 9ths in the last month, so now my regular cycle is 8, so I really get a good variety. Of course, I have only scratched the surface of what this piece has to offer, even if I live to be 100!

Right now, it is the Quartet in F major for Strings - #2 - Op 41 #2 - Robert Schumann - The Melos Quartet. Almost RS's only music without a piano, these 3 quartets were written in a very short time in the summer of 1842, the year of the Chamber Music, when all of his major works were composed. Splendid music.

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment