So, NOW what are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruud,
    Well, I had to cheat because I have no idea what a Euro is worth, maybe a lot, or maybe a Mexican peso! 7.22 sounds like a good buy, no mattter what the value! Well, I have heard several Scarlatti sonatas, and I find many of them to be quite excellent and soem not to be. And this is not based on the first ones being poor and the late ones being great, because they are all mixed up, even from one to the next! I have never heard a harpsichord version though. I did do that, and don't worry, you will.

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      Ruud,
      Well, I had to cheat because I have no idea what a Euro is worth, maybe a lot, or maybe a Mexican peso! 7.22 sounds like a good buy, no mattter what the value! Well, I have heard several Scarlatti sonatas, and I find many of them to be quite excellent and soem not to be. And this is not based on the first ones being poor and the late ones being great, because they are all mixed up, even from one to the next! I have never heard a harpsichord version though. I did do that, and don't worry, you will.

1 euro is about..1,15 dollars perhaps 30 centts more...I'm not sure...now moving on to the piano trio op.70 nr.1....you got me in the mood gurny:P

Comment

Thanks Gurn for clearing up! I hadn't found it out in hundred years. Steve's mentioned version of the 9th by the Vienna Philharmonic conducted by Karl Bohm just fits with a length of 79:02

Symphony #6 Pastorale, Op.68. Splendid like ever!

Comment

I see you are busy listeners... I cannot yet say we for I've been out for walks in the woods neighboring my summer house... Now, back home, I have thrown myself into the operatic work of Master Bthvn; or rather the numerous endeavors of his in this particular field. Not so much Fidelio, thus (it is my favourite work besides his 9th symphony).
          Looking through your posts I think this is good counterbalance to your almost exclusively instrumental repertoire, and especially 'toutes des oeuvres concertantes'! How's that for a neutralisation?

Geratlas,
          Thanks for all the information!! I shall certainly look for that. I think the Phildelphia Orchestra/Ormandy will be the ones for me. I love their big sound, should be great on Tzaykovsky. I have already used you nice spelling elsewhere, so I hope you don't sue me for copyright after you do register it
          Gurn! Go with the Ormandy CD for Tzaykovskiy (not 'tzaykovsky' as I wrote earlier ), and I won't sue you (not that I can, anyway?).
          Further, I could not fail to notice you've embarked on a 'Thema con variazioni': The Pastorali Variations, if I may be so infurious ... it just occured to me the letters of the name reversed become: "Alp's a Trio". (No harm intended. Just me being silly! 'Pastorali' remains one of the fairest names to this board, at any rate!

Amalie.
          I read you have listened to Schubert's C major Overture 'in italienischen Stil'. Did you notice the resemblance of the beginning to his Magic Harp overture (commonly known as 'Rosamunde'). - Have you heard the companion in D major?. Quite uplifting. I think Schubert is one composer where a listening experience never ever becomes waste.

As for the quiz, I have been out off mark, all the same. Looking forward to next week's.

Your friend G..._a.s.o.

Comment

ANd now the moment you have all been waiting for, the answers to this week's quiz.

1 > A Sinfonia Concertante is always a concerto, but a concerto is not always a SC. In the solisti of a concerto can be any instrument or instruments (if more than one, it is properly called Concerto Grosso). However, in an SC, the solisti can only be made up of instruments that are a regular part of the orchestra. So in the clues, B's Trio Concerto has a piano, and Mozart's K 299 has a harp, thus they cannot be in a SC. Look at the famous one that Pastorali told us about yesterday, which sparked this question, it is for Violin, Cello, Oboe & Bassoon, all regular instruments of the orchestra!

2 > Why is a CD decided from the beginning to be 80 minutes long? I swear this is true, when this issue was being decided (at SONY, I believe the patent holders), 80 minutes was determined to be the length needed to have the entire Beethoven 9th symphony on 1 disk.

So, did we all have fun? More next week. I gotta give this picture away!

Gurn, Yes,Yes,Yes to question #2. I read that a few years ago but forgot all about it. I went on a quest for the answer all over the web but came up empty. Hey! the Bohm recording of the 9th just makes it at 79:02, that's a close one.

Comment

Ruud
              Please check out your mailbox, there is no possibility to send you 2MB.

Geratlas
              That pseudo was hardly choosed, right! Though some are abusing it in an odd kind

Schubert Impromptus D899, D935 Jenö Jando

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 07-30-2004).]

Comment

Well, we have all been busy this evening while I worked so hard trying to avoid the heat tomorrow!

Past? Or Ali?
                Well, speaking of your name as we all do, This music of now is what I thought you always have named yourself after, although the symphony itself will of course be named after "Countryside", so unconscious I always think of you as a country boy, as I myself am. We are the salt of the Earth, my friend.

Geratlas,
                So now my curiousity gets the better of me. When you say "not Fidelio", you mean then "Leonore"? I heard there was actually one recording of Leonore 1805 (?), but haven't heard it. Or is there something else. I like a lot his incidental musics, I have King Stephan & Consecration of the House, despite even all the singing, they are very fine to listen to.
                Oh, I think your French is the ultimate test of International relations
                I will see if I can find that Tzaykovskiy, I am surprised if it is right there where I can easily get it, nothing ever is! But I will come across it and remember one day, I always do.

King,
                I knew that someone would remember that once I said it. There was recenlty published a book on the 9th, that was about its long history of social effects, and this nugget of information came from that. It was too good to be false!

P,
                Back to you, Those impromptus are so good, as soon as what I am listening to now, which is the outstanding Serenade in D for Winds - Op 44 - Antonin Dvorak. In the opening movement of this, the counterpoint in the oboes sounds almost like a Baroque fugato. Lovely! Anyway, so after, i will move on to the Impromptus of Schubert, Mitsuko Uchida performs them. Buenos noches, mi amigos. Hasta manana,

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                  Ruud
                  Please check out your mailbox, there is no possibility to send you 2MB.

Geratlas
                  That pseudo was hardly choosed, right! Though some are abusing it in an odd kind

Schubert Impromptus D899, D935 Jenö Jando

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 07-30-2004).]
                  hmm.pastorali,
                  I have got a alternative mailadress...rudolphus@zonnet.nl
                  That is large enough too support 2 mb..
                  YAWN..it's 4 o clock in the morning now overhere..We're leaving for the Czechic Republic today..We're going on holidays for a week..no time to listten yet..I'll be listening in the car later on though

Comment

All the favourites this morning on the radio.

Beethoven, Elegischer Gesang, Op. 118
                    Ambrisia singers/LSO

Mozart, Concerto, e flat, K865
                    Friedrich Guida & Chick Corea (piano)

Schubert, Impromptu, in Gb major,
                    Alfred Brendel.

------------------
                    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

All the favourites this morning on the radio.

Beethoven, Elegischer Gesang, Op. 118
                      Ambrisia singers/LSO

Mozart, Concerto, e flat, K865
                      Friedrich Guida & Chick Corea (piano)

Schubert, Impromptu, in Gb major,
                      Alfred Brendel.

Amalie
                      I'm always amazed by your most tasteful radio program! I would love that station too!!!

Antonio Vivaldi - RV 531 - Concerto for Violoncello, Strings and Basso continuo. So lovely!

Comment

I am over coming the noise of some construction work near my home with a performace of Stravinski's Rite of Spring.
                        ( This is enough to over come almost everything)

Comment

Gutenmorgen, meine Freunde,
                          Ruud, Czech Republic? Well, they have music there, you will be OK! Have fun

Amalie,
                          Well, Pastor Ali is correct, this radio should be generally available to the masses! I am assuming that you spoonerized the K # and actually mean the Concerto for 2 Pianos in Eb, K 365 (316a), else you have set out to baffle me intentionally, which I don't think you would, too nice, medical professional, nah! Great concerto though, and one of Amadé's own favorites. Enjoy your day, sounds like a "can't miss"!

P.
                          Ah, the one for 2 cellos? I envy you what, very nice! Busy day today for you, let us know what new music you find!

King,
                          Oh, absolutely, Igor can effectively annul almost anything! Well, this is the sort of price one must pay to live in such a growing area. Has the "Big Dig" finally reached you then?

For me, it is the Moments Musicaux - D 780 - Franzrl Schubert - Played by Mitsuko Uchida, who I think is an excellent interpreter of Schubert. Very feeling. Lovely. Have a great day, ya'll!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This morning it was Beethoven's "Consecration of the House" Overture Condicted by Bela Drahos and the Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia Orchestra (one of my favourites); also a big Beethoven evening coming up his Eroica and Symphony #4!
                            Also Haydn's Symphony 101 in D "The Clock".
                            Have a great day everyone!

------------------
                            'Truth and beauty joined'
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                              Geratlas
                              Pastorali!
                              You're right! The 'pseudo' refererred to above surely was far-fetched, and so it totally missed its mark. (here, I really barked up the wrong mountain, then...) And more so, if I'm right when to read in something beyond indifference to this on your part. - However, it seems irrelevant to clarify that this name versatile refers only to the nomina 'Pastorali'. - If, as you state, "some are abusing" your name, I'm bound to be one. I hope you have not felt impeded by this truely unpretentious ploy.
                              Therefore, I wish to pay my respects to you, the man Pastorali:
                              Á lui, qui mérite; Passe-tour-á-lui! (=To him, who's worthy; make way for him!)

EROICA - - - MARCIA FUNEBRE!!! consolation

Schubert Imprompti are played popular. They have taken me, as well ... Alfred Brendel is their leader!

Gurn.
                              When you go out to look for this specific Tzay~ CD in stores, it might be useful to you to know that its cover has a dark green bottom, with outer borders, and texts, in white; with 2 noncolor portaits placed on its lower half. Alas, should the CD prove too for you difficult to acquire over there (it shouldn't be!), I 'm willing to try and send you an analog sample.
                              As for the operatic endeavors I would like to keep you curious, just for a little while longer... I'm still meddled, entangled, stuck halfway into it. Like being ensnared in the mid of a spider's web. Seek to sort some snary things out here first... But I can say as much as I'm not referring to 'Leonore' in this case.
                              (In any case, I would very much like to discuss and compare this version to the 'Fidelio' one, together with you, and/or those others who might be interested.) Hope you'll cope.

'gRaTslae' Freund zu sein

[This message has been edited by Geratlas (edited 07-31-2004).]

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Geratlas:
                                [b]I see you are busy listeners... I cannot yet say we for I've been out for walks in the woods neighboring my summer house... Now, back home, I have thrown myself into the operatic work of Master Bthvn; or rather the numerous endeavors of his in this particular field. Not so much Fidelio, thus (it is my favourite work besides his 9th symphony).
                                Looking through your posts I think this is good counterbalance to your almost exclusively instrumental repertoire, and especially 'toutes des oeuvres concertantes'! How's that for a neutralisation?

Geratlas,
                                Thanks for all the information!! I shall certainly look for that. I think the Phildelphia Orchestra/Ormandy will be the ones for me. I love their big sound, should be great on Tzaykovsky. I have already used you nice spelling elsewhere, so I hope you don't sue me for copyright after you do register it
                                Gurn! Go with the Ormandy CD for Tzaykovskiy (not 'tzaykovsky' as I wrote earlier ), and I won't sue you (not that I can, anyway?).
                                Further, I could not fail to notice you've embarked on a 'Thema con variazioni': The Pastorali Variations, if I may be so infurious ... it just occured to me the letters of the name reversed become: "Alp's a Trio". (No harm intended. Just me being silly! 'Pastorali' remains one of the fairest names to this board, at any rate!

Amalie.
                                I read you have listened to Schubert's C major Overture 'in italienischen Stil'. Did you notice the resemblance of the beginning to his Magic Harp overture (commonly known as 'Rosamunde'). - Have you heard the companion in D major?. Quite uplifting. I think Schubert is one composer where a listening experience never ever becomes waste.

Geratlas,
                                Thankyou for that pointer to Schubert's 'Rosamunde', which I have heard on the radio, courtesy of BBC radio 3, I have yet to hear the companion to Schubert's C major Overture, and am looking to purchasing a good recording of these. Any recommendations G ?
                                I recall reading somewhere that Schubert's dedicated to Beethoven his piano duet variations Op.10 D642 and delivered a copy personally to Beethoven's lodgings. So from this story I am assuming that Schubert did meet Beethoven, as least I would like to think so.
                                Perhaps you guy's are able to enlighten me more about this intriguing story.

------------------
                                ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 07-31-2004).]
                                ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Working...
                                X