No announcement yet.

So, NOW what are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been listening too the dutch website today and have heard the last movement of the trout quintet by schubert,Melodie in F by rubinstein,3th movement 1st pianoconcerto Beethoven,Habanera Bizet,Paganini etude liszt la campagnella and his 2nd hungarian rhapsody,schuberts militairy marche in D major for piano a 4e mains,haydns Keizerkwartet 2nd movement and the last movement of his trompetconcerto in E flat major,mozart's ouverture le nozze di Figaro and last but not least the second movement of his clarinettoconcerto played on a basset-klarinet *a reconstruction of the original manuscript*,
    Regards,
    Ruud

Comment

Past or Ali,
      When you said you were now "in training" I didn't realize this is what you meant. Great music for it though, better than the theme for "Rocky 2"

Amalie,
      Well, except for the Chopin, those are all new ones on me. Vivaldi wrote a great quantity of operatic works, few of them either survive or are performed today, much like any other opera seria, even Mozart's. I don't know if that is good or bad, but I suspect that overall it is good, just for the health of opera as a whole!

Ruud,
      Now there is a great list of tunes! Why do you play just single movements? Is this on you mp3 player? They are great ones anyway. Enjoy.

For me, the orgy of Dvorak continues, with the Quartet in a minor - Op 12 - Stamitz Quartet. Feel like I'm driving my phaeton to Prague for the weekend!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        Pastor Ali,
        Yes, but I am an exclusive person, no? 1987, you are so brave! I haven't the guts to do something like that. Tell me, will this mean that the box of Haydn's goes to the closet? No, I don't think so. As long as there is such great music as that outstanding Sinfonia Concertante to keep you amused. Is this not a great work? I shall here pose a quiz question for one and all: What is the difference between a Concerto Grosso and a Sinfonia Concertante? The winner will receive by email the title page picture from Mozart's "Musical Joke", which is beautiful in the most!

King,
        VPO/Bohm! I have some of his Mozart, they are splendid! Those singers are some of the same ones that are on BPO/Karajan 1963. I think it is the best group of singers I have heard (Berry in particular is great!)! This is 7 minutes longer than my VPO/Bernstein, which I thought was the longest. Quiz question #2: Why is a CD 80 minutes long? Winner will receive the same prize as the previous question.

For me, it is the String Quartet in a minor - #7 - Op 16 - Antonin Dvorak - Making my way slowly but surely to Op 111

CONCERTO:
        Instrumental genre in several movments for solo instrument,or instrumental group, and Orchestra.
        SINFONIA CONCERTANTE:
        Style based on the principle of opposition between two dissimilar masses of sound.
        (concerto-like)
        Taken from the glossary of "Essential of Music".

Comment

King,
          Well, that covers theory, but pretty well leaves practice out of it. There is one essential point that the definition there does not cover. I will give you all a clue: think about the instrumentation, particularly of the solisti. There, that is now a giveaway!

And what of question #2? Already a giveaway!

For me, it is now the Sonata in G for Piano - #42 - Hob 16:27 - Haydn. Very nice indeed!

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

OK, another clue. If Brahms had chosen to call his "Double" concerto a Sinfonia Concertante, he could have done so. If Beethoven had chosen to call his Trio Concerto a Sinfonia Concertante, he would have been wrong!

Right now, it is still Haydn Piano Sonatas, this one is in E major - #46 - Hob 16:31 - Molto bene!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

OK, another clue. If Brahms had chosen to call his "Double" concerto a Sinfonia Concertante, he could have done so. If Beethoven had chosen to call his Trio Concerto a Sinfonia Concertante, he would have been wrong!

Since this is an election year I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring! Obviously it has something to do with Double and Trio. Double as in producing a tone an octave lower as double bassoon?? Variation. Trio as in composition employing 3 instruments or vocal parts scored for violin, cello, and piano. A work for violin, viola, and cello is called a string trio. Sinfonia being larger vocal works or an overture? Am I even close? I can't seem to connect the dots between them. Even if I didn't win the prize, be a good ol' mate and send me the Mozart's joke anyway! I haven't even started on the second question, it's too early in the day to tax my brain like this.
              For my listening pleasure today includes the Mozart's Serenade No. 6 in D K 239 Serenata
              with the Kremerata Baltica orchestra and
              Gidon Kremer, violin also Mozart's Violin Sonata No. 1 in G K 301 with Nathan Milstein, violin and Leon Pommers, piano.

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy,
                You have had a regular B-a-thon here lately. Super. Your question about Haydn 98 the other day that I forgot to answer, of course, this is the famous "Surprise" symphony, where the always witty Haydn lulls you to sleep in the Adagio (andante?) and then, a sudden fff from the orchestra knocks you out of your seat. Love it.

Thanks Gurnster! I knew you'd come through!
                I do know this one. It is witty indeed of Haydn to pull something like this. He must have been in an exceptionally good mood when he came up with this one. Oops, almost forgot to keep on topic later today it will be Mozart's PC#15 also Beethoven's PS#8 and #21 and Haydn's Symphony #73 in D La Chasse via the radio. Any ideas about this one Gurn?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 07-30-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:

Quite the evening indeed,
                  I've been listening to the one and only Beethoven concerto in E flat major *casually forgetting Woo4 * the Emperor concerto performed by Christian zacherias and the staatskappele Dresden led by hans vonk..Is the quintet as powerful and overwhelming as This piece??

[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I wouldn't say that but the quintet is a most enjoyable piece and especially the last movement which is most famous and I'm sure you would recognize immediately. It's very lively and melodic.

------------------

Comment

Joy,
                    Well, on the quiz, no, no, and no! Believe me when I say, I didn't get this one when it was posed to me either, then I was mad when the answer was given, because it was so easy
                    Ooh, I really like that Serenata Notturna K 239. I have sevaral performances, each better than the next.
                    Your welcoma about the Haydn, did it wake you up too? La Chasse - once again a "The Hunt" theme. I believe int eh first movement you will distinctly hear the call of hunting horns, the real thing, not like Mozart's fiddles in the Hunt Quartet! good symphony, too.

For me, it is Haydn also, a brand new, just out of the box set of string trios! Almost the only recording in existence, I'm all a'twitter! Right now, it is the Trio (Divertimento) in Eb for 2 Violins & Cello - #4 (of 21) - Hob 5:4 - Camerata Berolinensis - very HIP lovely music, very pleasing.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

OK, here is another. Mozart was able to call his Concerto for Violin & Viola K 364 Sinfonia Concertante, and yet he was not able to do the same with his Concerto for Flute & Harp K 299

For me now, it is the Master, the Trio in Eb for Piano, Violin & Cello - Op 38 - after the Septet Op 20. He also scored it for Piano, Clarinet & Cello, an equally lovely arrangement.

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

OK, here is another. Mozart was able to call his Concerto for Violin & Viola K 364 Sinfonia Concertante, and yet he was not able to do the same with his Concerto for Flute & Harp K 299

For me now, it is the Master, the Trio in Eb for Piano, Violin & Cello - Op 38 - after the Septet Op 20. He also scored it for Piano, Clarinet & Cello, an equally lovely arrangement.

hmmm another guess..A sinfonia concertante needs to be written for 2 STRING instruments for example violin and viola or violin and cello...THOSE should be the solo instruments..in a regular concerto it doesn't matter which combination you use???

I've bought myself some scarlatti sonatas today..these are K1 till K98..it is a total of 6 cd's and they are performed on HARPSICHORD...here's MY question gurn...GUESS how much it coested me too buy these cd's

Comment

Hey, so much good music here, super!

I can add Beethoven's Symphony #5, Op.67 in C minor, Zinman of course. Had today on radio a real C minor day with a lot of B. Well, many struggles and emotions, so this is the dot on the i.

Gurn
                          I trained back the same steely way - 7th and Fidelio up to the temporary edge. At least for some of us...

Heaven, is this quiz still on the run?
                          Why has a CD 80 minutes? Because you can turn that piece to enjoy the other 40 minutes? Are you doing so in Texas after bowing the poor disks?

Comment

Ruud,
                            I am guessing those 6 disks cost you 14 euros. On the harpsichord, the way god intended! Great purchase, whatever the cost! Oh, you are not correct, sorry! I love to make you think though.

Pastor,
                            You are right, a great day to listen, as I have also had here, as you can see. Yes, the quiz is still on the run, however, I believe that all will now be revealed, as no smarty-pants has stepped forward to give the answers.

For me now, it is the Beaux Arts Trio - Trio #5 in D major for Piano & Strings - Op 70 #1 - Geistertrio - LvB. Ruud, you are correct, I always foget how good this is!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

ANd now the moment you have all been waiting for, the answers to this week's quiz.

1 > A Sinfonia Concertante is always a concerto, but a concerto is not always a SC. In the solisti of a concerto can be any instrument or instruments (if more than one, it is properly called Concerto Grosso). However, in an SC, the solisti can only be made up of instruments that are a regular part of the orchestra. So in the clues, B's Trio Concerto has a piano, and Mozart's K 299 has a harp, thus they cannot be in a SC. Look at the famous one that Pastorali told us about yesterday, which sparked this question, it is for Violin, Cello, Oboe & Bassoon, all regular instruments of the orchestra!

2 > Why is a CD decided from the beginning to be 80 minutes long? I swear this is true, when this issue was being decided (at SONY, I believe the patent holders), 80 minutes was determined to be the length needed to have the entire Beethoven 9th symphony on 1 disk.

So, did we all have fun? More next week. I gotta give this picture away!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ruud,
                                I am guessing those 6 disks cost you 14 euros. On the harpsichord, the way god intended! Great purchase, whatever the cost! Oh, you are not correct, sorry! I love to make you think though.

Pastor,
                                You are right, a great day to listen, as I have also had here, as you can see. Yes, the quiz is still on the run, however, I believe that all will now be revealed, as no smarty-pants has stepped forward to give the answers.

For me now, it is the Beaux Arts Trio - Trio #5 in D major for Piano & Strings - Op 70 #1 - Geistertrio - LvB. Ruud, you are correct, I always foget how good this is!

only 14 euro's???you scoundrel:P:P:P we are talking about 6!!! cd's here..:P no just kidding it costed me €7.22..not much EY...

I'm listening too scarlatti this minute and must confess it aint the worst bet I've made

P.s gurn check your mail please..BTW I still hope to receive mozart

Comment

Working...
                                X