So, NOW what are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joy,
    You have had a regular B-a-thon here lately. Super. Your question about Haydn 98 the other day that I forgot to answer, of course, this is the famous "Surprise" symphony, where the always witty Haydn lulls you to sleep in the Adagio (andante?) and then, a sudden fff from the orchestra knocks you out of your seat. Love it.

For me, another something off the beaten track. Frederick II, King of Prussia, was quite a musician. Unlike other kings who just bought up a composer here or there as needed (although he did own CPE Bach, at least for a while), Fred would write his own. So now, it is the Symphony in G major for String Orchestra & Continuuo - Frederick the Great! He did pretty good for a royal, too!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      Stephen, 2 Beethoven's Concertos, very nice!
      Ruud, I also heard Beethoven's Piano Concerto #3 last night.
      Also last night via the radio was Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. The most recorded of Beethoven's music with over 300 recordings! Also played Beethoven Quintet in E-flat with pianist Yefim Bronfman and the New York Philharmonic. "Beethoven had to scramble to live up to the high standard set by Mozart in the 1780s. His homage to Mozart's quintet for Piano and Winds turned out to be more like a piano concerto, though." It was a Beethoven evening. Wonderful!

Quite the evening indeed,
      I've been listening to the one and only Beethoven concerto in E flat major *casually forgetting Woo4 * the Emperor concerto performed by Christian zacherias and the staatskappele Dresden led by hans vonk..Is the quintet as powerful and overwhelming as This piece??

Comment

Gurn
        Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf and that Frederick II, King of Prussia - fairly a exclusiv program today, he? Trés extraordinaire, mon cher!

I can conter that with Rudolf Kelterborn -Symphony #4,
        Sonata in one movement for Violoncello and Piano (Heinrich Schiff)
        'Nuovi Canti' for Flute and Chamber Orchestra
        I will start listening right the next moment for the first time, after Haydn's Symphony #104 (A+B+Sinfonia Concertante = 107 ), so I have closed my circle.

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 07-29-2004).]

Comment

Kelterborn - Have I thought I will like a Symphony of 1987? But I had to know it and now I know it

'On the Wings of Singing'
          Many different Singers and Choirs on this disk with works by Schubert, Mozart, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Händel, Bach.

Comment

At this time it's the "9TH" and for any of you music loving people who like Beethoven performed in a romantic way this disc is for you. The orchestra is the Vienna Phiharmonic conducted by Karl Bohm with a splended quartet of Jessye Norman - soprano, Brigitte Fassbaender - alto/contralto, Placido Domingo - tenor and Walter Berry - bariton.
            The length of the performance is an astounding 79:02. The longest I've ever heard. In spite of the length I rather like the change in the tempi, although this would not displace my favorite, the John Eliot Gardiner recording.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 07-29-2004).]

Comment

Pastor Ali,
              Yes, but I am an exclusive person, no? 1987, you are so brave! I haven't the guts to do something like that. Tell me, will this mean that the box of Haydn's goes to the closet? No, I don't think so. As long as there is such great music as that outstanding Sinfonia Concertante to keep you amused. Is this not a great work? I shall here pose a quiz question for one and all: What is the difference between a Concerto Grosso and a Sinfonia Concertante? The winner will receive by email the title page picture from Mozart's "Musical Joke", which is beautiful in the most!

King,
              VPO/Bohm! I have some of his Mozart, they are splendid! Those singers are some of the same ones that are on BPO/Karajan 1963. I think it is the best group of singers I have heard (Berry in particular is great!)! This is 7 minutes longer than my VPO/Bernstein, which I thought was the longest. Quiz question #2: Why is a CD 80 minutes long? Winner will receive the same prize as the previous question.

For me, it is the String Quartet in a minor - #7 - Op 16 - Antonin Dvorak - Making my way slowly but surely to Op 111

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Wow King, that sounds interesting!!! Next time at the store I will ask for it to take a listen. Very exciting. I'm at the other end of the story:
                Op.21 & 36 LvB Symphonies #1+2
                From all Symphonies I listened since last weekend - they beat them all by far!!! I love them

------------------
                Regards,
                Pastorali
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                  Pastor Ali,
                  Yes, but I am an exclusive person, no? 1987, you are so brave! I haven't the guts to do something like that. Tell me, will this mean that the box of Haydn's goes to the closet? No, I don't think so. As long as there is such great music as that outstanding Sinfonia Concertante to keep you amused. Is this not a great work? I shall here pose a quiz question for one and all: What is the difference between a Concerto Grosso and a Sinfonia Concertante? The winner will receive by email the title page picture from Mozart's "Musical Joke", which is beautiful in the most!

King,
                  VPO/Bohm! I have some of his Mozart, they are splendid! Those singers are some of the same ones that are on BPO/Karajan 1963. I think it is the best group of singers I have heard (Berry in particular is great!)! This is 7 minutes longer than my VPO/Bernstein, which I thought was the longest. Quiz question #2: Why is a CD 80 minutes long? Winner will receive the same prize as the previous question.

For me, it is the String Quartet in a minor - #7 - Op 16 - Antonin Dvorak - Making my way slowly but surely to Op 111

I don't know the difference but SEND MEEEEE that picture PLZZZZZ...I will make an effort though..a sinfonia concertante is perhaps a symphnoy with solo passages for violin and other solo instruments whilst an concerto grosso is an Italian term of a big orchestra in the baroque period...you had small ensembles and big ones...I hope that this isn't TOO much rubbish...I still have a lot too learn ya know...

I've been listening too the 7th of beethoven today and his 5th...I also want too start with his stringquartets since I have never heard a wHOLE quartet from beethoven...are their certain pieces with which too begin or are they ALL splendid even for those not used too this genre.???

Comment

Thanks Ruud to help out of this tricky question. That means we are the winners

Gurn that means Kelterborn goes down the toilet , no I will store it and it becomes dusty.

Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Symphony #3 'Eroica' Op.55 That beats all!
                    Zinman of course.

Comment

So come on Gurn! Come out of the bush ( ) and tell us. We European should go to bed, at least those who have no holiday

Marcia Funebre

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 07-29-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                        So come on Gurn! Come out of the bush (:eek and tell us. We European should go to bed, at least those who have no holiday

Marcia Funebre

hahahaha lol...right tell him pastorali..I have to go to bed aswell...has anyone used my link too listen too music btw???

Comment

Ruud,
                          Excellent listening, not good guessing though! Since you guys didn't get it yet, I owe it to the others to wait one more day to tell you, although your appeals have touched my heart!

Pastorali,
                          No, I fear you shall have to go to bed with the Eroica in your ears, but no answer yet on your plate! Check your mail though. Zinmans Eroica. I must hear that. If it is as good as his 7 & 9, it must be mine soon.

And for now, it is the Serenade in E for Strings - Op 22 - Antonin Dvorak - Academy of St Martins in the Field / Marriner. Beautiful music!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

My profound apologies, I did not intend to write "Concerto grosso", but rather, simply "Concerto". If this threw you off, it was not intended to do so. Still, the main point is "Why is a Sinfonia Concertante NOT a regular concerto? What makes it a SC?". Nice picture though, won't find it on the Internet anywhere, nor will you find the answer to the question, or at least I couldn't!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

And now on the train with the 7th and Overture 'Fidelio'

Nice day all!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                                And now on the train with the 7th and Overture 'Fidelio'

Nice day all!

Pastorali, Wonderful! There's nothing like travelling in style!

It's funny yesterday at work, we had a new agency nurse on duty with us and his name was.....
                                wait for it.....
                                FIDELIO .....
                                How could I forget a name like that!

Now a selection from this mornings listening:

A sublime piece by,
                                RAMSEY,
                                How are the mighty fallen,
                                The sixteen / Harry Christophers
                                Viva Vivaldi!

Ferma, Teodosio (L'Atenaide Act.111)
                                Emma Kirkby (Soprano)
                                The Brandenburg Consort.

Chopin, Bolero, A minor, Op.19
                                Nikolai Demidenko (piano).

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 07-30-2004).]
                                ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Working...
                                X