No announcement yet.

So, NOW what are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have dusted off an album of Carl Maria von Weber's music and this morning it will be his Konzerstuck and his two piano concertos.
    The performance on all three works are by Gerhard Oppitz- piano and Colin Davis conducting the Radio Symphony Orchestra of Bayruth. Between Weber and Hummel the ground work was laid for Chopin.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 07-28-2004).]

Comment

King,
      Yes, I have heard that music. You're right, these are the proto-Romantics. Another nice piece by Weber is his Quintet for Clarinet & Strings.

For me, it is some Middle Romantic Piano Concerto - the #2 in g minor - Camille St Saens. Very nice indeed!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

A bit of a rarity now. When Mozart went to Paris in 1778, it was to have his works performed by the Concert Spirituel, the big orchestra in Paris at the time. Although they were currently doing well, a few years earlier they had fallen into disrepair, and an outsider was brought in to rescue them. He was the head of their main competitor, the Concert des Amateurs. His name was Francois-Joseph Gossec, and he was probably the leading French-born composer in France at that time. So right now, I am listening to the Symphony in F major - Op 12 #6 by Francois-Joseph Gossec. Very interesting, mainly galant, nice music!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 07-28-2004).]
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Nice choice Gurn, Brahms Quartet #3. For me it's Felix Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream. Talkig about it the other day gave me a taste for it. Yoel Levi conducted the Atlanta Symphony. Also Domenico Scarlatti's D Major Sonata. Yoshikazu Nagaib, pianist. He wrote more than 550 sonatas for harpsichord.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy,
            Yes, that Brahms was splendid. Of course, so is that Mendelssohn! I have only heard a few of Scarlatti's sonatas, but some of them are pretty nice. He seems to have been responsible for the sonata "taking off" in the classical era. Long was to "Hammerklavier" from there, ain't it?

Right now, it is the Trio in C major for Fortepiano, Violin & Cello - Ignaz Pleyel - Gamerith Consort - INteresting music, interesting playing. Can't beat that!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This afternoon it's Beethoven's Piano Concertos Nos. 1 and 2 performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy who is also conducting the Cleveland Orchestra. Good performances.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
                This afternoon it's Beethoven's Piano Concertos Nos. 1 and 2 performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy who is also conducting the Cleveland Orchestra. Good performances.
                For me it's the 3th pianoconcerto in C minor op.37 this afternoon...I had to walk the dog and decided to take my discman with me and while I was walking I enjoyed this concerto performed by leon Fleischer together with the Cleveland orchestra conducted by George szell wonderful version and the 7th symphony by the columbia Symphony Orchestra conducted by Bruno walter...excellent editions I'd say...The only downside is that the allegretto of this symphony is being played SLOW constantly...it's a ALLEGRETTO why do people keep playing it as an andante then???

Regards,
                Ruud

Comment

Joseph Haydn - Symphonies
                  Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra - Adam Fischer.
                  Momentary Symphony #91
                  For today I close that box and tomorrow I can enjoy all his late masterpieces. Great choice indeed.

AH! PERFIDO I need some heavy metal this evening. Of course to prepare myself, being able to survive one day my first Opera berore Gurnster is doing it!

Comment

C. M. Weber
                    Konzert No.2 für Klarinette und Orchester Op.74
                    A very cheerful one, that I like very much. Played by a local orchestra here and recorded live in September 02. Quite a good recording and for good luck out of coughing season...
                    Cause it's a double CD and they played a bit Mozart too, I may listen to that later.
                    KV 320 "Posthorn-Serenade"
                    KV 504 "Prager Sinfonie"

Comment

For tonight,
                      Beethoven Christus am Olberge,
                      Das Neue Orchester/Christoph Spering

------------------
                      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Gurn.
                        I am aware of your fondness for the works by Tzaykovsky [my own spelling, not registered]. For me he has vitally implemented interest into the world of classical music. Even if you do not need a great deal of pressure I say you do wise to look up this 'new' symphony (completed 1957), simply because I find it very worthy its originator. It has all the elements Tchaikovsky is known and loved for: beautiful melody, rhythmic excitement, thunderous climaxes, and brilliantly exploding orchestral fireworks. The orchestration is phenomenal, substantially taken from Tzay himself (I learned that 33 pages of full-score are preserved + cued sketches). By the way, the work was conceived as symphony from May to about December 1892, then abandoned until after he had got off with the 'Pathétique', No.6, when he had it translated for piano concerto, No.3. Its key is no other than E FLAT major!
                        I am familiar with 2 recordings. The one I have is the first ever recording, by The Philadelphia Orchestra under Eugene Ormandy. This is a true steamer, immensly well-balnced and profound in sound and drive. The other one I have seen in record store(s), and know to be in Chandos Catalogue --- I better check --- Yes. There it is: "SYMPHONY NO.7 (compl.Bogatyryev) coupled with PIANO CONCERTO NO.3 (original version)" [only 1 movt, Op. 75. Take it you already have the 'Andante & Allegro' movts. restored by Taneyev, Op. posth. 79.] on "CHAN 9130" played by London Philharmonic Orchestra under Neeme Järvi. This playing is somewhat longer than that of my record, and could slightly dishance the listening experience. Keep in touch. / F.G.

Pastorali.
                        As you asking for disparities between the quartet given to Amenda (AMENDA VERSION, Hess 32) and the printed one (AMENDED VERSION, Op.18 No.1), I thought it best to share these observations, taken in veiw-point of the latter version: Most of the changes are to the texture, which becomes smoother and more linear; the motifs are made to stand out more clearly, as while fussy accompanimental figures such as oscillating patterns are eliminated. Also, melodic lines are sometimes given added decoration in the form of appoggiaturas, sections tend to be more closely linked together, and occasionally whole bars are eliminated to produce a tighter construction. Revisions of other aspects of the music such as dynamics, harmony, andu use of repeats can also be found, although structurally there are no great changes. / G.

I better listen to the quartet myself. You too?

PS.There probably once existed earlier versions of Op.18 Nos.3 and 2, as well.DS

Comment

King,
                          I have only heard Ashkenazy play sonatas, but I like his Beethoven, pretty aggressive, but I doubt it could be more aggressive than B envisioned it!

Ruud,
                          That's a good question about the tempo. Maybe you need to start a thread about that! No, really, don't do that. The reason that allegretto (a little allegro) is strange as a tempo is because sometimes it means a little faster than allegro and sometimes it means a little slower. Depends on the composer and where he lived. It should never sound like andante, however

Pastor Ali,
                          Well, if you are listening this evening, then you HAVE beaten me to it, I shall not forgive you!. Rascal
                          Funny, I was just today talking about that Weber Quintet with someone else, I agree, it is a really nice piece of music. However, that Mozart will blow it out of the water! The lovely Posthorn Serenade, listen good and hear the oboe concerto in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th movements!

Amalie,
                          And out of season, too! But nonetheless, a nice work for any time. Enjoy

Geratlas,
                          Thanks for all the information!! I shall certainly look for that. I think the Phildelphia Orchestra/Ormandy will be the ones for me. I love their big sound, should be great on Tzaykovsky. I have already used you nice spelling elsewhere, so I hope you don't sue me for copyright after you do register it

For me, it is the Concerto in A major for Fortepiano & Strings - Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf - most interesting piece of work!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Amalie,
                            And out of season, too! But nonetheless, a nice work for any time. Enjoy!

, Well perhaps out of season but never off the Menu !..

Now it's Beethoven's 'Eroica' Symphony no.3., The BBC Symphony Orchestra/BARBIROLLI

Schubert's Overture in the Italian style ! C major,

Luv it!!

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 07-29-2004).]
                            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Amalie,
                              Oh! I would really like to have that Schubert, I have heard it one time on the radio, but never happened to see it for sale. Nice music. Now the Eroica, there is a work that never goes out of season, OR off the menu

For me, starting out the day with the Symphony in C major - #1 - Muzio Clementi - I must say, I only have thought of C as a piano guy, but his symphonies are very listenable, they have very nice little dramatic features.

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Stephen, 2 Beethoven's Concertos, very nice!
                                Ruud, I also heard Beethoven's Piano Concerto #3 last night.
                                Also last night via the radio was Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. The most recorded of Beethoven's music with over 300 recordings! Also played Beethoven Quintet in E-flat with pianist Yefim Bronfman and the New York Philharmonic. "Beethoven had to scramble to live up to the high standard set by Mozart in the 1780s. His homage to Mozart's quintet for Piano and Winds turned out to be more like a piano concerto, though." It was a Beethoven evening. Wonderful!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X