So, NOW what are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joy:
    Gurn, I'm not staying away too long not with all this activity here. So many songs, so little time!! Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, sort of like an experimental artwork in itself. 80% of Dvorak's works, you'll have to work through them slowly and enjoy.
    Ruud, Beethoven's 7th, excellent choice! I bet that got you up and running this morning.
    Stephen, Strauss' ASZ another good choice for this beautiful morning. That's a real eye opener!
    For me, it's Mozart's Piano Concerto #20, lovely! Beethoven's String Trio Serenade; and Mozart's Serenade #9. Also Bach's Brandenberg #3 later, can't go wrong with any of those!

You're right Joy, there is a lot of great music passing through the site today. By the way, who is doing the Bach Brandengurg #3.
    That is my favorite Brandenburg.

Comment

Yeah, I meant to ask that myself. I have a Mehuhin version myself that is pretty fair, but I always am interested in others. Particularly since it is a violin concerto from a guy who only wrote a few.

Right now, it is the final movement of Op 18 #6, "La Malinconia" - Amadeus Quartet. Wow!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn
        You received those early SQ set. Great! How is this 'Amenda'? Is it very different from the well known version?

Joseph Haydn - Symphonies
        Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra - Adam Fischer.
        Right now #63 in C major, "La Roxelane" (versione seconda)

Comment

19:35

Broadcasting now on BBC Radio 3. This evenings Proms Form the Royal Albert Hall:

Part 1.

DVORAK: Czech Suite,
          Scottish Chamber Orchestra.

SAINT-SEANS: Piano Concerto no.2
          SCO

Part 2.

SCHUMANN'S Symphony no. 2
          SCO/Joseph Swensen

Tomorrow 19:30, Part 1.

SCHUBERT'S Sonorous Symphony No. 8.

and JANACEK. Folk Songs.

------------------
          ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 07-27-2004).]
          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by culshaw:
            Bruckner for me is a Rhine journey.Huge forest fringed waterscapes and then just look up ! Medieval mountains, their tops shrouded in a drizzley mist ( or, maybe, mysticism is better ),spotted, here and their, with castles and monasteries! [...]
            Lovely painted, Culshaw.
            I think his fourth symphony (=#2) comes close to this picture.

I had a go at the unfinished symphony in E major, by P.I.Tzaykovskiy, in completed version by S.Bogatyryev. It is highly recommendable for anyone with notion of fine music, and especially for those in for Tchaikovsky, of course, because it's one so typical of his hallmarks that the hand of another is unnoticeable! (Quite unlike those completions of LvB's or Schubert's '10th's, where you feel presence of an co-author of restricted mind, however competent.) The symphony sketches were later to be used by Tchaikovsky for his 3rd Piano Concerto, although I say the movements are more suited for pure symphony than to have to part with prominent solo instrument. / F.G.

[This message has been edited by Geratlas (edited 07-27-2004).]

Comment

Back to Mozart Le Nozze di Figaro Karajan Wiener Philharmoniker Music that propels my life forwards and never lets me down. But still puzzled by an earlier listening experience Gyorgy Ligeti Etudes performed by Idil Biret No melody that I can discern and what appear to me as a non performer to be just wild notes going up and up to the higher register of the piano. But what an effect!! Not for the first time do I feel drawn again to the mysterious compelling effect this fantastic music has upon me Comments please !!

------------------
              Love from London
              Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                Back to Mozart Le Nozze di Figaro Karajan Wiener Philharmoniker Music that propels my life forwards and never lets me down. But still puzzled by an earlier listening experience Gyorgy Ligeti Etudes performed by Idil Biret No melody that I can discern and what appear to me as a non performer to be just wild notes going up and up to the higher register of the piano. But what an effect!! Not for the first time do I feel drawn again to the mysterious compelling effect this fantastic music has upon me Comments please !!

Tony dear, don't know Ligeti at all you're getting very adventurous these days! I do love Mozart operas though - my favourite is Cosi Fan Tutti. At present though I'm still working through the piano concertos and Gurn, I can see why 19 would be a favourite. I hadn't heard it before but was captivated, especially by the 2nd movement. And yes Perahia does use the Mozart cadenzas for this one, though he uses a Beethoven one and one of his own on 20 and a whole mix on the rest as far as i can see. So when you come out of the woods with Bruckner I think you'd enjoy this. I'm flying to the States on Saturday and will be in Texas from next Thurday. If there's anything you'd like me to get to post to you when I'm there do email me. I won't be able to manage golf clubs though!

------------------
                Beethoven the Man!
                Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
                  You're right Joy, there is a lot of great music passing through the site today. By the way, who is doing the Bach Brandengurg #3.
                  That is my favorite Brandenburg.

Stephen, it was the Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 with Conductor Hartmut Haenchen and the CPE Bach Chamber Orchestra. Tonight however it is Beethoven's Piano Sonata #24 and Haydn's Symphony #98. Gurn, any stories behind this one?

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

P.
                    Yes, I was very pleased to get that box this morning. I listened to the Amenda version while working, not really the best condition to judge the difference because I can't turn it up very loud But I will say this, the Amadeus Quartet ROCKS! See their picture, they are a bunch of old guys (like me! ) but man, can they play! I will listen a lot closer now I have it home though. Hey, Le Roxelane is a good symphony. I think it started life as an overture, but it was worth working into a bigger form.

Amalie,
                    Yes, the famous Proms. Amazingly, I not only have that entire lineup, but have listened to it all within the last 4-5 days!! Not as good as "live" though, just can't beat the electricity. Enjoy

Geratlas,
                    I have never heard a completion of the symphony, but I do have the concerto version, and a fine one it is. If his first wasn't so spectacular, I think the 3rd would have made more of an impression. If you look around at that time, around 1880, that was kind of a low point for piano concertos, I think, not really more great ones until Rachmaninov. I would like to hear that work as you describe it though. I am a big fan of Tzaykovskiy (love that spelling )

Tony,
                    You shall have to ask Sorrano about Ligeti, he is an expert. He has the complete works on authentic instruments! My problem with Figaro is getting past the overture. It is the best 4 minutes of music available, IMHO.

JA,
                    Ah yes, Dallas, isn't it? Too bad it isn't this week, we are currently enjoying the coolest temps in my 25 year memory of July!! Thanks for the kind offer, if you truly enjoy yourself and like it here, then that will be all I need. Ah yes, #19, 20 & 24 (c minor), there are 3 in a row that will leave you wanting more. You are right in the meat of the oeuvre now, for a 3 year period from 1784 to 87, he wrote more great music than any other composer in a similar time period ever. And the concertos are the top of the heap. Great!

For me, I have determined that listening to Dvorak in chronological order was probably the best way to attack the issue, so right now I have worked up to the Quintet in A major for Piano & Strings - #1 - Op 5. Long way to go!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm listening to kempff performing the moonlight,tempest and appasionata sonata.nice music though I prefer another recording for the moonlight..could anyone give me some info about this ligetti..I never even heard of him...

Later I'll be listening to glenn gould performing the pathetique and perhaps some chopin works...

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                        I'm listening to kempff performing the moonlight,tempest and appasionata sonata.nice music though I prefer another recording for the moonlight..could anyone give me some info about this ligetti..I never even heard of him...

Later I'll be listening to glenn gould performing the pathetique and perhaps some chopin works...

Btw...
                        I just posted this link here..
                        It will take you to a dutch site on which you can hear various works by various composers. http://www.avroklassiek.nl/luisterka...klaskraker.asp

this link directly takes you to the listening part of the site and all you'll have to do is click on the black names of the pieces.. and then click on the names of the pieces *the detailled info is in dutch* or on the shape of an ear.

good luck,
                        Ruud.

P.s while posting this I'm listening too handels entrance of the queen of sheba from solomon on this particulair site.

Comment

Ruud,
                          So you have had already a big morning of listening! I wish I could tell you something about Ligeti, but other than that he is a modern (still alive, I think) composer, possibly even avant-garde (he did a "concise" version of 4'33" for example called 1'00") I know nothing else. So it goes. Sorrano is your man for this one.

For me this morning, the less than avant-garde Quintet in b minor for Clarinet and Strings - Op 115 - Johannes Brahms. Late in life Brahms decided to go back and write just a bit more chamber music, which he hadn't done in a while. Among the fruits of this late-date choice are this splendid quintet, the trio for piano clarinet & cello, Op 114 and the 2 sonatas for clarinet (or viola) and piano Op 120. The classical clarinet repertoire is immeasurably richer because of it.

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:

Ligeti has composed in a variety of styles, from melodic (of sorts) to chromatic, to purely textural. Lontano is among my personal favorites with it's ever changing textures--no melody, no motives, just pure sound, changing and shaping itself gradually. The etudes I do not know, but I imagine they are similar to his experimentation with the voice in his Adventures and New Adventures. I like his stuff.

This morning it was Beethoven's Funeral March, from the sonata played by Bernard Roberts, then the orchestral version (can't remember the orchestra--sorry). Nice way to hear them--together.

Comment

Originally posted by culshaw:
                              Bruckner for me is a Rhine journey.Huge forest fringed waterscapes and then just look up ! Medieval mountains, their tops shrouded in a drizzley mist ( or, maybe, mysticism is better ),spotted, here and their, with castles and monasteries !
                              How poetic ya ? Sometimes Bruckner can be a pain in the butt. It has often been said that he wrote the same symphony nine times ! ( well almost nine ) Stuff and nonsence but certainely any comparison with the group's namesake, there is not the progression nor the distinctiveness of " the master "
                              Each of his cycle ,it seems to me, has a different DNA., almost as if they came from different parents !

Butif you wrap up well, get your backpack strapped on, a journey with good old Anton will leave you with vistas you'll not forget in a hurry. I have all his Symphonies on CD, including the two premature babies "O" ( Study Sym.) and the D minor No. O.

The visionary religious side of B. is, for me to be found in the three masses ( Jochum DG Legendary Recordings )

But for B. on his " journey " my favourite is Haitink's account of No.7 and, on his arrival/departure No. 9 with Solti and the Chicago band he made his own.

Great site.keep it up !
                              shadybarkis.

All the Bruckner symphonies are very familiar to me except the Study Symphony. I will have to hunt it down so I can listen to it. I have the Jochum cycle with other recordings to supplement it. Haitink impresses me a lot, especially with the later symphonies.

Comment

Sorrano,
                                Thanks for the Ligeti info, there were two queries and I really didn't want to try them. That's an interesting idea, playing the Marche funebre from the sonata followed by WoO 96, the Trauermarsch from Leonore Prohaska. I shall have to try that.

For me, it is the Quartet in Bb for Strings -#3 - Op 67 - Johannes Brahms. "This is Dr. Brahms, Johannes Brahms."

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment