Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    [B]Amalie,
    And yet for YHS, this seems like a plentitude of lieder! I tell you this though, I have all of those bagatelles and many more that were not published, and yet I never feel as though I have a plentitude of bagatelles! Certainly, Brendel. Perfect!

Dearest Gurn, A little word in your ear...... I think you should burn those unpublished Beethoven Bagatelles onto a CD and send me a copy! Pretty please, grovel, grovel (( )) Thanks mate, you're a star, one in a million!

Right now I am listening to an all- Schubert concert on Classic FM, from 21:00
    till midnight! Lovely

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-03-2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Amalie,
      Well, if you promise in return to NOT do the same with the lieder, we may have a deal! All Schubert, eh? Splendid, we do that and think it is a great idea for one and all.

Well, the London Bach continues to entertain. Now it is the Overture in E major for Double Orchestra, Op 18 #5 - One must believe in this case that an "orchestra" was a modular construct that could be supplemented at will. Interesting concept.

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well, now I'm listening to Dinu Lipatti playing Grieg's A minor piano concerto and Chopin's first piano concerto. Both of them are extremely lovely, although since the Chopin is a live recording, the sound quality isn't what it could be. It's not too bad, though, and it's worth the rather watery sound. I love Lipatti's recordings. He is my favourite pianist.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Space, I can only hazard a guess, but the piece you heard may have been form Mahler's Kindertotenlieder/Ruckert- Lieder

I looked it up and the piece I heard was from Malhers "Songs of Youth"I know nothing else about this cycle but will try to find them.They were gay (in the old sense of the word)little songs full of life and humour.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Tegan,
            I am particularly fond of the Grieg, especially that super 3rd movement. I have never heard Lipatti play, more's the pity, but have heard nothing but good things about him.

Space,
            Well, those tunes sound just a bit cheerier don't they!? I found a link to all the Mahler Lieder lyrics this afternoon, I'll see if I can find it again and post it. Some were quite nice.

For me, it is the Quartet in Eb for Strings - #10 - Op 51 - This is from the period when Dvorak was really getting into the folk tune theme idea in a big way. The opening movement is simply lovely, like a carriage ride home from a picnic in the country!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
              Tegan,
              I am particularly fond of the Grieg, especially that super 3rd movement. I have never heard Lipatti play, more's the pity, but have heard nothing but good things about him.
              Oh, you should try to find some of his recordings. I love the Grieg, too. I have a Dinu Lipatti obsession, and I have five of his CDs, I think. He didn't record very much, since he died in 1950 at the age of thirty-three. I have him playing, Chopin, Brahms, Enesco, Bach, Ravel, Liszt, Schumann, and now Grieg. Rather disappointingly, he never recorded any Beethoven! C'est la vie!

Comment

Amalie,
                Well, if you promise in return to NOT do the same with the lieder, we may have a deal!

That would be fantastic if you could do that Gurn, thankyou so much. That will be a CD to cherish! Just think you could start quite a business burning CD's. . I shall post you my address.
                Would you be interested in The Netherlands Wind Ensemble, arr. of Beethoven's 7th Symphony?

Now listening to:
                Grieg: Symphony Dance, No.4 0p 64
                Norwegian Radio Orchestra.

Mozart: Divertimento Bb, K186
                Bratislavka Komarna Harmonia

Prokofiev: Violin Concerto No. 1.
                David Oistrakh, (violin)
                Concertgebouw Orchestra.

------------------
                ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Amalie,
                  Oh, I could never do that, I am much to old to contemplate a life of confinement at this stage, after successfully avoiding same in my wild youth That's a very nice Divertimento, I doubt that Mozart could do otherwise! And the Prokofiev is not only one of the best VC's of the 20th century, but Oistrakh is one of the best interpreters. Splendid!

For me, it is the Incidental Music to King Stephan - Op 117 - El Supremo Luigi - Now, the Women's Chorus - LSO/Tilson Thomas. Very good!

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sorrano,
                    Ha, I have heard of this piece of music, but never actually heard it. In fact, I didn't know who the composer was to even look for it! Cool. I think that Rondo & Capriccio is pretty neat too, I listen to it every now ans again, and wonder why it is not more often. I guess Louis just needed to compose a bit to get over the pfennig in the gutter thing. Scots blood? Well, no, you hadn't actually. There seems to be a lot of music with Scottish themes, but all written by non-Scottish composers, guess they preferred to do the lyrics?

The composer of the Jew's Harp Concerto is Berger, one of Beethoven's teachers. (Don't recall the first name, but I'm too lazy to go look.)

Comment

Sounds like everyone's listening to some great music already. For me it's Mozart's Symphony #28 and 42, the latter being by the Salzburg Mozarteum Orchestra. It'll be a Beethoven afternoon later today first off with his Piano Sonata #23, The Appassionata, performed by Daniel Barenboim; then Beethoven's Leonore #3; and later still his Symphony #1 performed by the Acadamy of Ancient Music. Lots of good listening pleasure today!

------------------
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I've just listened to a piano transcription by Liszt of the overture from Wagner's Tannhauser. It was fantastic!
                        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                          QUIZ!
                          In matter of my first Opus (on CD) today: Op.51!
                          The composer himself said, it should have the title: 'On the Rhine'.

Well, composer? what work???
                          First price is the recipe of the original Canzone
                          WEAK!
                          Schubert - D.944

Comment

Joy,
                            Excellent stuff. I am particularly fond of the AAM symphonies (B & Mozart both). A good afternoon in store!

Space(d)
                            See, I told you, without the "cat in a blender" singing, Wagner did a pretty good tune, Liszt just had to knock the rough edges off...

P.
                            I cannot imagine how I failed to see that post the first time around, I just went back and looked and there it was! Schubert, indeed! Ah yes, The great C major! "on the Rhine", that works for me, although could be "On the Danube" too, if Franzrl thinks about it!

Sorrano,
                            Thanks for th einfo, I will look it up, perhaps it can be had!

For me now, it is the Quartet in f minor - #11 - Op 95 - Il Maestro - Soooo serious!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sorry Gurn, that was not the solution! just my momentary pleasant thing

If this had been it, then I had said: "Which Robert said, this is that one with the heavenly lenghts..."

Still D.944 ram-bam-bam (1.move.)

Comment

Don't feel bad I didn't see that post either Gurn! It looks like we're at another 5 pages in this thread so let's start another post courtesy of yours truly!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X