So, NOW what are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ger,
    Darn right! One of the great symphonies too, IMHO. I am particularly fond of Schumann, he speaks to me as many others don't. Perhaps I'm loony too!?

VC,
    So how's things in your end of the World? Sounds like you have some great music going on anyway. You know, I like those Bach Organwerke so much, I actually forgot they were church music!
    I have Schiff playing some B bagatelles and sonatinas, I think he does really well in B's music. I would like to hear him doing the concertos. Very nice.

For me now, it is the Symphony in D major - #6 - Op 60 - Antonin Dvorak - VPO/Chung. This scherzo (furiant) and presto of the third movement make this one of D's top symphonies. Pity most people only listen to the 9th and miss out on the riches of the first 8!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:

Amalie Which are your favourite Lieder by Schubert? - I'll tell you mine, later, if you want to. Ok?[/B]
      I'm afraid I don't have all of Schubert songs, but I do have some of his songs on a wonderful CD including songs by Mozart and Anslem Huttenbrenner so aptly chosen for me by Pastorali !, He sure knows what to choose for a lady !
      On this CD the Schubert songs are:
      Der blinde knabe, D833
      Lied derAnne Lyle D830
      An Silvia D891
      Ellens Gesang 1, D847
      Ellens Gesang 2 and 3,
      HeiB mich nicht reden D877 nr 2
      So lasst mich scheinen D877 no.3
      Nur wer die Sehnsucht kennt, D877 no.4.
      Other Lieder by Schuber that I like include:
      Winterreise
      Erlkonig
      Verklarung
      Die Schone Mullerin
      und Der Lindenbaum.

I also have a cherished CD of Beethoven songs, and looking to collect more.

But right now I am listening to Beethoven's Bagatelles, 0p.33, 119, & 126.
      Rondo in C, Allegretto in C minor, und Klavierstuck, in B flat.
      By Alfred Brendel, Naturlich

------------------
      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-02-2004).]
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        P.
        Ah, so you know Bruch as I know Vivaldi concertos then eh? Very good, I was not knowing that, I will get all this information from you by and by. Space(d) does sometimes not tell all, we will work with her on that.

For me, it is now another Overture by Dvorak - "In Nature's Realm" - Op 91 - Another most attractive piece. These overtures are nearly so long and similar to a symphonic poem, that one wonders why they are not called that, given that they have somewhat of a programme.

Gurn, you are right on target. The three overtures, In Natures Realm, Carnival and Othello were intended as a trilogy of symphonic poems. The three overtures are united thematically by a recurrent pastoral theme. Super music no matter what Dvorak called them.

Comment

I will get all this information from you by and by.

L L Rogue!
          I only can stand for uncensored translations of Mozart Canons...

Bruch: I end where I started - some Violloncello - Canzone Op.55

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
            I'm afraid I don't have all of Schubert songs,

Amalie
            What??? You still have not all of his Songs! You have to work on your collection The Pollini recording is superb!!! a Gem
            How do you have it with English Folksongs? Have you many of them? They are not easy to get, but I will hopefully soon.

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 08-02-2004).]

Comment

Amalie,
              And yet for YHS, this seems like a plentitude of lieder! I tell you this though, I have all of those bagatelles and many more that were not published, and yet I never feel as though I have a plentitude of bagatelles! Certainly, Brendel. Perfect!

King,
              Well, it is not great knowledge on my part, unfortunately, but by the third time I listened to them, they felt like they were all part of one big work. I see now by what you say that in Antonin's great vision, this was so. I had listened to Carnival many times, but only recently to the others, really, they should be as a set. Hope you had an opportunity to fill your day with music!

P.
              I will certainly take canons, especially uncensored ones! Ah, Canzone, even though it sounds like an Italian pastry , nonetheless I have heard it played and think it is yet another of Bruch's special little gems.

For me, the Serenade in d minor for Winds - Op 44 - Antonin Dvorak. Soon I will know this one very well, as it deserves.

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Beethoven, Symphony No. 1
                Berger, Jews-harp concerto (very strange, indeed!)
                Beethoven, Rage over a Lost Penny. I shall hang tightly to all my pennies. And did I tell anyone I have Scots blood in me?

Comment

Sorrano,
                  Ha, I have heard of this piece of music, but never actually heard it. In fact, I didn't know who the composer was to even look for it! Cool. I think that Rondo & Capriccio is pretty neat too, I listen to it every now ans again, and wonder why it is not more often. I guess Louis just needed to compose a bit to get over the pfennig in the gutter thing. Scots blood? Well, no, you hadn't actually. There seems to be a lot of music with Scottish themes, but all written by non-Scottish composers, guess they preferred to do the lyrics?

For me now, it is the Symphony in G major - #3 - Muzio Clementi "The Great National". There are those national themes again, like "God Save the King" and such. Nice tunes anyway.

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

P.
                    I will certainly take canons, especially uncensored ones! Ah, Canzone, even though it sounds like an Italian pastry , nonetheless I have heard it played and think it is yet another of Bruch's special little gems.

Ah, canzone! one of my favourite foods!
                    For me today it's Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-Flat Op 73 with Conductor Hans Vonk and the Staatskapelle Dresden Orch. with Christian Zacharias, piano. Also his Piano Sonata #28 later in the day.
                    Last night I heard Beethoven's Allegretto in B-flat, Wo) 39, an elegant pastoral trio written for a little girl, also endeared him to the girl's mother but quite a bit of music survived it. Wasn't it written for Brentano's daughter? The trio in this performance consisted of Markus Groh, piano, Claudio Bohorquez, cello, and Julia Fischer, violin.

------------------
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 08-03-2004).]
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Sonata no.8 in C minor op 13 by Beethoven,played by Wilhelm Kempff.
                      Beautiful!

I heard some songs of Malher sung by Janet Baker on the radio yesterday.One delicous number was about naughty children who must learn to behave. I wish I had caught the title or opus no, of these songs.Anyone here familiar with these?
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Joy,
                        Yes, I was amused too WoO 39 - dedicated to Maximiliane Brentano; "for my little friend Maxe. Brentano to encourage her in piano playing" - LvB - Very nice to have such a friend, eh? Good listening!

Space,
                        Delighted you could rejoin us. Amazingly, I have some of your (Dame) Janet Baker, she sings "Sea Songs" by Elgar on the disk with DuPre's Cello Concerto. Actually quite well, I might add! I know nothing about Mahler lieder except that he wrote some.

For me, once again we are with Herr Bruckner, Symphony in d minor - #3 - This isreally starting to grow on me, with repitition. Bueno!

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                          Sonata no.8 in C minor op 13 by Beethoven,played by Wilhelm Kempff.
                          Beautiful!

I heard some songs of Malher sung by Janet Baker on the radio yesterday.One delicous number was about naughty children who must learn to behave. I wish I had caught the title or opus no, of these songs.Anyone here familiar with these?

Space, I can only hazard a guess, but the piece you heard may have been form Mahler's Kindertotenlieder/Ruckert- Lieder

The Ruckert-Lieder is a gentle Lullaby from Kindertotenlieder and this may have been the piece your heard. I think it is a Lullaby for a dead child/children.

There is a recording of this sung by Janet Baker, Halle Orchestra conducted by Barbirolli.
                          Text and translation included.
                          EMI CDM566981-2

You can possibly have a listen at your classical music store, to see if it is the right one.
                          The lullaby is rather beautiful.

------------------

Comment

Rejected Love!
                            Gripping passion from Vivaldi: Cessate, omai Cessate ! RV684
                            Sung by Andreas Scholl/countertenor.

A wonderful piece!

Schubert Song, Shepherd on the Rock.

Serenade for Tenor, Horn & Strings.
                            Britten Sinfonia
                            Britten.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-03-2004).]

Comment

I told you numbers can be charming, here are some...
                              D125, D417, K191, K314, K622, D944, D125!,
                              D803, D82, D485, BWV 1046, 1047, 1048

QUIZ!
                              In matter of my first Opus (on CD) today: Op.51!
                              The composer himself said, it should have the title: 'On the Rhine'.

Well, composer? what work???
                              First price is the recipe of the original Canzone

Comment

Amalie,
                                Well, Songs on the Death of a Child, pretty grim stuff. I went and read the lyric in English though, and it at least seeks to be consoling, not sure that it succeeds. But all this other singing, I am sure that you merely wish to torture me, and are even now picturing me twisting slowly, slowly in the wind... But I AM trying ot like it, honest!

For now though, it is J.C. (The London) Bach, Overture in Bb for Single Orchestra - Op 18 #2 - This is very interesting music, it falls in that "no man's land", certainly not Baroque (so don't fix it ) but also not quite Classical either, notable for its lack of counterpoint for example. Very nice though, for those times when you don't want to have to work at it!

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment