Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Performance of Beethoven's Piano Concerto #1!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    I think this idea of early Beethoven sounding like Mozart is grossly overplayed. I think we can hear quite a lot of Beethoven in No1.
    It's a rare thing, but I am total agreement with Rod on this issue. I really don't see early Beethoven sounding much like Mozart. He sounds more like Mozart than he sounds like Chopin, but I don't think I could ever confuse the two.

Comment

Well of course they don't sound as if Mozart wrote them, they have the hall marks of Beethoven who from the beginning has his own voice. However, Beethoven certainly knew Mozart's concertos and used them as models at least for the first 4, he was also much influenced by Haydn in no.2. He assimilates but does not imitate.

As for this much mentioned rhythm in the finale of no.2 it occurs in Mozart's K.595 (3rd mov bar 198-). Incidentally Beethoven also scored Op.19 for the same orchestra as K.595.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

With respect, I think I said Sir Ernest Rutherford but I think he was a highly acclaimed physicist
        Could it be Sir Ernest Hamilton?

------------------
        Love from London
        Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
          With respect, I think I said Sir Ernest Rutherford but I think he was a highly acclaimed physicist
          Could it be Sir Ernest Hamilton?

It was Sir Ernest MacMillan!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter many thanks! Love to West Sussex

------------------
            Love from London
            Love from London

Comment

Working...