Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    Ruud,
    I think Szell, is an excellent recording, I don't have it now but I have in the past and I will again. You can do much worse. Also, for the Kempff, I am committed in writing that he is my favorite Beethoven player, the disk I have of him is Pathetique, Moonlight, Waldstein and Appassionata, it is my favorite single piano sonata disk. If only he was playing even a Graf! Oh well.

For me right now, the Haydn Symphonies have advanced to the D major, #93, I am so grateful there is no name to worry about!

Have you ever heard john lill perform the piano sonata's??I was just BLAST away by his performance.I find them very exhilarating.
    right now it's the violinsonata's Kv 6 till 9 from our young mozart..performed on Harpsichord and Baroque violin *david tecchler rome 1706*
    Quite nice indd from little wolferl

Comment

Ruud,
      Yes, I have the Lill sonatas, very nice indeed! He is no Kempff, but still very fine. I also have the early Mozart harpsichord & violin sonatas, the harpsichord is of course authentic, but the violin is a modern one. Nonetheless, they are most wonderful sounding.

Now, it is the Symphony in D major - #35 - K 385 - "Haffner" - W. Amadé Mozart - The things we do for friends and family. Hope they appreciated the gift!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

P.
        Yes, my friend, I am all of that! I didn't know you to be one of those wooden whistle chaps. I'm impressed!

And still Vivaldi. Have you noticed that all of the Concertos for 2 violins in the Op 3 are in the minor? Right now, it is in d minor, #11 - That Vivaldi quite a guy!

This really sounds interesting! I have never heard any of these concertos by Vivaldi. Here in Africa classical CDs are hard to come by. Only the most famous works can be found in CD stores.

Gosh, you are all making me so jealous :-) Well hopefully some time I'll be able to get my hands on all this great music!

Comment

V-C,
          Yes, I can only imagine that it is difficult. But you did have that Rachmaninov disk before, which is certainly a good one, so you are not totally without. Life can always be worse! Are you in RSA? I would hope that there was some availability there, if so. The rest of the continent is a mystery to me, I'm afraid . Good luck, and stay with us.

For me, back to Haydn, the Symphony in D major - #96 - London must have considered itself to be the navel of the musical universe when this lot was premiered!

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The Maestro's Piano Sonata No 5 Wilhelm Backhaus Perfect for a late night in Londinium

------------------
            Love from London
            Love from London

Comment

Tony,
              Excellent choice for a late evening listen. Best wishes.

For me though, it's Papa Haydn, this time for the small ensemble, the Quartet in G for Strings - Op 33 #5 - Kodaly Quartet. Perfect!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hello all, and a lovely Friday it is, too!
                TO start the day, we have the Symphony in c minor - #1 - Op 68 - Johannes Brahms, sounding as though he hears big footsteps behind him!

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Happy Friday to you too! That Vivaldi recording is an excellent one, Gurn. I highly recommend it! Sounds like you've been listening to a lot of Haydn lately, well, for me today it'll be Haydn's symphony #81 in G and later his symphonies #18 and 19 via public radio (any names connected with these)? I think it's a 'Haydn' day! Also Mozart's Symphony #25 and Beethoven's Piano Trio #9! You have to have Beethoven in there somewhere!

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy,
                    I truth, I always listen to a lot of Haydn, he is my secret vice Oops, out of the closet now! I will be looking for that Vivaldi, but I understood it was out of print (OOP) and I tried to find it at a place that specializes in such, but to no avail. Haven't given up though.
                    No, no names to worry about with those, it jumps from 8 to 22 with no names in the bunch. 81 is a nice one though, enjoy it, and especially the Trio! You're right, gotta have some B in there somewhere.

For me now, it is some Dvorak, the Serenade for Winds, Op 44. First time through this piece, pretty nice though, as you would expect from D, kinda classical sounding.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

im listening to Chopin's prelude trolling bells. along with some vivaldi symphonies. hehe i have no specific order i just am playing what im in the mood for right now. but im sure i will be playing beethoven's 9th symphony.

Comment

Thanks Gurn, you woke my need for Haydn this afternoon. So... two of his masses are in order. The "Nelson" and "Theresienmesse"
                        Ah, the sound of the human voice.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleC:
                          im listening to Chopin's prelude trolling bells. along with some vivaldi symphonies. hehe i have no specific order i just am playing what im in the mood for right now. but im sure i will be playing beethoven's 9th symphony.
                          KyleC,
                          I *being a pianist aswell* like the preludes of chopin a lot.Have you played the Raindropprelude? it's the 15th prelude of the op.28 set.It's great to hear AND play,
                          For me it's the lovely pianotrio op.70 by beethoven *geistertrio* the valses by chopin *op.18,34.1/3,42,69/2*
                          and perhaps some mozart a 4e mains sonata's.Too respond to your 4e mains question aswell..Mozart has written some FINE 4e mains aswell..I've played the sonata in D major Kv.381 and the sonata inC major Kv.19d with some classmates for a grade at school It was GREAT fun.
                          regards,
                          Ruud

Comment

V-C,
                            Yes, I can only imagine that it is difficult. But you did have that Rachmaninov disk before, which is certainly a good one, so you are not totally without. Life can always be worse! Are you in RSA? I would hope that there was some availability there, if so. The rest of the continent is a mystery to me, I'm afraid . Good luck, and stay with us.

For me, back to Haydn, the Symphony in D major - #96 - London must have considered itself to be the navel of the musical universe when this lot was premiered!

Nope, I live in Namibia, but as a matter of fact it was in the RSA where I bought the Rach CD! When I do get there, that's when I get most of my CDs.

Comment

Kyle,
                              It's good to jump around. Don't get into a rut that way. What do you think of those Vivaldi Sinfonias? I have a disk of them and really, they were quite good. The Italian philosophy was to use them to open a show, and they needed to get people's attention as big as they could, so they do have a little punch to them. Very good, and not all that common either.

King,
                              You are such a tease! But I will admit, my liking of singing is growing with time and contact, although I will never actively seek it out, at least I don't lower my head and run into trees now.

Ruud,
                              Great trio! For my taste, its partner Op 70 #2 is even better, although one hears it much less often. I have ffound that being played less isn't always because a piece is not as good, maybe it just doesn't have a name? I really like 4 hands music, sounds like you have it going on there.

For me now, it is the Symphonic Poem - Op 107 - Dvorak - "The Water Goblin". Dvorak was really a split personality as a composer. He could do classical with the classicists, then he could do Romantic with the Romantics. What a man!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                                KyleC,
                                I *being a pianist aswell* like the preludes of chopin a lot.Have you played the Raindropprelude? it's the 15th prelude of the op.28 set.It's great to hear AND play,
                                For me it's the lovely pianotrio op.70 by beethoven *geistertrio* the valses by chopin *op.18,34.1/3,42,69/2*
                                and perhaps some mozart a 4e mains sonata's.Too respond to your 4e mains question aswell..Mozart has written some FINE 4e mains aswell..I've played the sonata in D major Kv.381 and the sonata inC major Kv.19d with some classmates for a grade at school It was GREAT fun.
                                regards,
                                Ruud
                                Yeah, I love the Chopin Preludes too. Today I listened to Mozart Symphonies nos. 40 and 41. Especially love the 4th movement from the Jupiter, it's such a refreshment for the spirit!

Comment

Working...
                                X