What are YOU listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VC,
    Another great work, see, you are not without at least!

For me, the Concerto in b minor for Piano & Orchestra - #3 - Op 89 - Johann Nepomuk Hummel - A fascinating work this, those who accuse B of being an early Romantic need to listen to Hummel, even though he was a student of Mozart, he sounds more like the lineage leading to Romanticism than B does. Very nice piece of work though.

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

It's Baroque to night. Telemann's suite in A minor for recorder and strings. Why isn't more of this wonderful composers music performed. He was one of the most prolific composers of the baroque period. His life long moto was: "Give every instrument according to its measure, then players are full of joy and you will enjoy the pleasure"

Comment

ruudp,
        i have not heard that prelude but i will listen to it as soon as i have a chance. im sure i will love it as i have found that i like almost every prelude written by chopin.

Comment

Pleasant listening,
          from Bach to Arnold this morning.

Bach: Fantasia & Fugue, a minor, BWV.904
          Harmonia Mundi.

Handel: Concerto Grosso, D minor.
          Les Arts Florissants.
          Harmonia Mundi.

Rossini: Overture, Semiramide.

Liszt: Sonetto 104, del Petrarca S 161
          Clifford Curzon (Piano).

Dvorak: V Prirode, ( In Nature's Realm).
          Op. 91. Radio Bratislava Symphony Orchestra. Ondrej Lenard.

Sir Malcolm Arnold: Overture, (Peterloo)
          City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra.
          Conducted by Sir Malcolm Arnold.
          This piece commemorates the 1819 Massacre
          of poor protesters in Manchester, England,
          protesting about poor wages!

------------------
          ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 07-24-2004).]
          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Some Bach this morning.
            Violin Concertos BWV 1041-1043, 1060 - Gidon Kremer
            Brandenburg Concertos 1-3

Comment

Boy, you sleep late just one morning and everyone and her sister comes to visit
              King,
              Actually, it is not that easy to FIND Telemann, even though he wrote well over 3000 works! I do have his 12 Fantasias for Solo Violin by Andrew Manze which is splendid music indeed. And I have heard some of his tafelmusik, and considering hiring my own orchestra to serenade us while dining...

Amalie,
              Quite a tripthrough time! That Bach is a good start for anything. I also listened to that Rossini yesterday coming home. I don't know what his operas were like, but if overtures were witten to make you prepared to see the opera, I am always ready! As long as they are mute

P.
              I have never heard Kremer do any Baroque music at all. How is he? He always seemd so much a modern fiddler to me, I am surprised! Good choice of music for him anyway, and you too

For me, it is the Trio in D major for Baryton, Viola & Cello - F. Joseph Haydn. If you have never actually heard a baryton, you would be in for a surprise what it sounds like. I can't even say "it sounds just like a ...." because it doesn't, it sounds just like a baryton! The fact that this instrument disappeared has to be because it was so hard to play, not because it wasn't really cool!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Shostakovich: Quartet No. 3.
                Powerful! Relevant!
                Emerson String Quartet

------------------
                v russo
                v russo

Comment

Ah! Perfido - Op.65
                  Scena and Aria for Soprano and Orchestra
                  Cheryl Studer Soprano - Abbado/Berliner Phils.

Gurn
                  This is the best recording of those Bach concertos I've ever heard. Hard to beat I guess. Kremer is really one of my favorite fiddlers, though I have only one disk of him
                  How you see, I come always nearer to the operas For every case I have 42 new Canons by LvB. Afterwards, they will take me back in balance...

Comment

v.
                    Powerful, indeed. Even a bit intense for a Saturday morning! Que hombre!

P.
                    Aye, ever closer to opera. But still, not quite over the edge yet. I am betting that I will listen to an opera before you do! Of course, there are already some written in your language, which is a big advantage for you, but I will give you that handicap 42 canons! Super! Of course with B they won't be naughty like Mozart's, but fun just the same. I have several disks of Kremer, including the B sonatas, and the Brahms Violin & Double concertos. He can really get it going when that's in the script. It is rare for a fiddler to be excellent at Romantic music, and also at Baroque. It is nearly a different instrument, and certainly a different style of playing. I tip my hat to him if he has accomplished that.

For me, it is the Cassation in D major for 4 Horns, Violin, Viola & Bass - Haydn - L'Archibudelli / Koster - HIP. This is really nice music, as near as anything to being a dvertimento in 5 movements. The natural horn has such a lovely tone too.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 07-24-2004).]
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn
                      I can't say when I'm prepared for it. Maybe in a week, maybe in five years. I just know for sure, it must be then the FIDELIO. If really, then Beethoven!

Ah, now it starts: Lob auf den Dicken WoO 100
                      it goes like this:
                      (In Praise of the Fat One)
                      Schuppanzigh is a scoundrel,
                      Who doesn't know him,
                      the fat sour-belly,
                      the puffed-up ass's head?
                      O rogue Schuppanzigh,
                      O donkey Schuppanzigh.
                      We all agree,
                      that you're the biggest donkey.
                      O donkey, hee-haw.

Poor Schuppanzigh, a rough humor for his good friend

Comment

Victoria de los Angeles as Violetta in a 1960 complete recording of Verdi's "La Taviata". She was one the best in her time. A truly great soprano.
                        Gurn, you don't know what you are missing.

Comment

P.
                          That is great!! I have read many of the canon's "praising" Schuppanzigh, although not that one. Obviously they were the best of friends, if you wrote that about your enemy he would come kill you!! Fidelio, of course. For me, my first will be La Nozze de Figaro, then Fidelio, then Don Giovanni. I am working my way up to the edge, I need to be pushed over

King,
                          Well, opera is a possibility, but I can't see me starting with Italian opera, Mozart & Beethoven are safe ground for me, so for opera I must start there, I think. And the ladies don't sound nearly as ... tortured!

For me now, it is the Divertimento in D major for 2 Horns & String Quartet - Hob 2:22 - Haydn. Mozart also wrote several for these same forces, Eine Musikalicher Spaß leaps to mind, as well as a series from Salzburg. The 2 horns really set off the SQ so very well! I have the picture from the title page of Eine Musikalicher Spaß, it is a hoot! Wish I could post it

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Miss de los Angeles has never to my knowledge sound "tortured",I think you must be thinking of Florence Foster Jenkins!
                            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Well thank you to Gurn and others who encouraged me to go for it with Perahia/Mozart Piano Concertos set! Even on my computer it sounds incredible. I'm starting at the far end today with 27 K595 with the delicious raspberries in the first movement
                              I did also get the Andreas Scholl Wayfaring Stranger collection of folksongs - very weird but wonderful, though not, I imagine Gurn's cup of tea! And yes, I did get the Kleiber Schubert 3 & 8 on DG Originals - what can one say, I've got no superlatives left!. Copies of this, his Beethoven 4,5,6 &7, his Brahms 4 ( which is the only recording I've heard on radio where I've been instantly able to identify the conductor) and his opera recordings seem to be in pretty good supply over here, so if anyone wants me to raid HMV for them do let me know.

------------------
                              Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 07-24-2004).]
                              Beethoven the Man!

Comment

A glass of vintage wine to go along with Dvorak's Serenade for Strings Op.22.What a grand work. The larghetto, beauty beyond words. How I love this man's music. As a romantic he is at the very top. He did it all.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 07-24-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                                X