People from Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People from Europe

Living in Europe must be so incredible. Not so much because of its vaccation popularity, but that so much authentic classical music is so available and close by. I was wondering on how the mind-set on classical music is over there, anywere. Here in the US, where I live, not much is known about classical music and is only found at scools in higher institutions. Of course, all highschools mostly have a band, but not exactly classical music. Also, most people think of "uptight" "snooty""artsy fartsy" people, or boredome when they hear the word "classical Music". I think thats mostly the media's fault, but most people only know Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, but not in a glorious way, in which I experience. No, here it can be herd on a cell phone. Music from a genius, who put all his life into it, that was ment for a grand theater is being herd in a monoharmonic tone that sounds like a cheap video game. Beethoven would be rolling around in his grave if he knew. So anyway, I am greatful that I had the curiosity and was drawn into the wonderful, powerful music of Beethoven, Bach and Vivaldi and others. Well, I was just wondering about the aesthetic value on CM in Europe, because I have seen many group musicians in the streets or in theaters always performing CM, even in the dress of the time. Must be nice. But to be clear on my opinion, I dont denounce the US, but seem to notice the problem of Classical Music being slowly disipated by media steryotype and regards to it as old and obsolete. I truly believe that Classical Music still has the same power it once had as a modern music, and that it really is ageless.

Also, just wondering, what instrument to you play? Any seasoned clarinetist around?

Comment

*do

Comment

Living in Europe I can only speak for Austria and its relationship with classical music.

Vienna was and still is the classical music capital of the world. So many famous composers moved to Vienna to compose their music, like Beethoven, Vivaldi, Gluck, Salieri, etc. Then there were those composers who were born in Vienna, like Schubert and Johann Strauss, and other Austrian born composers who moved to Vienna, like Mozart and Haydn.

Classical music can be heard all over this city; on the radio, on TV, in the parks, in the churches and in the concert houses. And yes, even as a ring-tone on one's cell phone, mine included.

The year 2006 is going to be a Mozart Year here in Austria (it's Mozart's 250th birthday year). Here's a website that will fill you all in as to what is going on here in Austria for this Mozart Year 2006:

http://cms.austria.info/kultur...2.h...m=301319&_b=c1

I am so lucky that I live in such a wonderful and beautiful city.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
          Living in Europe I can only speak for Austria and its relationship with classical music.

Vienna was and still is the classical music capital of the world. So many famous composers moved to Vienna to compose their music, like Beethoven, Vivaldi, Gluck, Salieri, etc. Then there were those composers who were born in Vienna, like Schubert and Johann Strauss, and other Austrian born composers who moved to Vienna, like Mozart and Haydn.

Classical music can be heard all over this city; on the radio, on TV, in the parks, in the churches and in the concert houses. And yes, even as a ring-tone on one's cell phone, mine included.

The year 2006 is going to be a Mozart Year here in Austria (it's Mozart's 250th birthday year). Here's a website that will fill you all in as to what is going on here in Austria for this Mozart Year 2006:

http://cms.austria.info/kultur...2.h...m=301319&_b=c1

I am so lucky that I live in such a wonderful and beautiful city.

You are VERY lucky indeed Andrea, but don't black out the netherlands
          We've got LOT'S of classical music aswell..the concertgebouw *translated the concert building* orchestra has got a world renowed reputation *atleas I hope*..
          And music is also available everywhere..Vienna though is one of the best cities indeed...I've been in bonn last year as I graduated from highschool *the havo* which *for andrea* stands the middle between gymnasium and arbitur I believe.
          It was a gift from my brother and sister and we went to the beethoven museum SPLENDID it's a REAL treat for any beethoven fan.
          Also vienna has been on my list to..We've went there as I was 8...the only thing I recall is the majestic opera-building with it's MAGNIFICENT gold ornaments...*sigh* again how lucky you are...

GrĂ¼ssen and regards,
          Ruud

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
            You are VERY lucky indeed Andrea, but don't black out the netherlands
            We've got LOT'S of classical music aswell..the concertgebouw *translated the concert building* orchestra has got a world renowed reputation *atleas I hope*..
            And music is also available everywhere..Vienna though is one of the best cities indeed...I've been in bonn last year as I graduated from highschool *the havo* which *for andrea* stands the middle between gymnasium and arbitur I believe.
            It was a gift from my brother and sister and we went to the beethoven museum SPLENDID it's a REAL treat for any beethoven fan.
            Also vienna has been on my list to..We've went there as I was 8...the only thing I recall is the majestic opera-building with it's MAGNIFICENT gold ornaments...*sigh* again how lucky you are...

GrĂ¼ssen and regards,
            Ruud
            Some of my favorite recordings (at least of Bruckner) are from your concertgebouw with Haitink conducting. I've not heard anything from that combination that I didn't like.

Comment

Working...
            X