Etudes and Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Etudes and Beethoven

Did he write any for Piano? I dont think I have ever read about or seen a reference to any 'etudes for piano' if he wrote them. (This question may look dumb to some of you 'advanced' listeners, but I am only 2 years into listening to classical music).

If he didnt, do you know why? It also doesnt seem like Mozart wrote any either, but I may be wrong here. Did the concept of 'etude' change during the romantic period into being considered performance worthy?
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
    Did he write any for Piano? I dont think I have ever read about or seen a reference to any 'etudes for piano' if he wrote them. (This question may look dumb to some of you 'advanced' listeners, but I am only 2 years into listening to classical music).

If he didnt, do you know why? It also doesnt seem like Mozart wrote any either, but I may be wrong here. Did the concept of 'etude' change during the romantic period into being considered performance worthy?
    BW,
    As far as I know beethoven never wrote etudes in the way we know them nowadays, I think that etudes weren't written in the general accepted style untill czerny,bürgmuller, chopin a.o. started this.
    Mozart for example didn't write etudes as well I believe.
    Beethoven DID however write pieces for his students one being the sonata op.79 in G major written for archduke rudolph as a non too difficult piece for the duke to perform.
    I don't know wether these are etudes too in your opinion.This is al I know, I hope it clarified somethings atleast.
    Btw..I have been listening for 4 years now not a TOO long time aswell

regards,
    Ruud

Comment

Working...
    X