Mozarts 37th Symphony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozarts 37th Symphony

Does this exist? I saw several cds that say "Mozarts last symphonies: 35, 36, 38, 39, 40, 41". What gives? Was the score lost?

As a side note - I recently heard his Haffner: My god, the first movement is so touching for me! Mozart is the best!

Also, I havent heard his 36th, is it any good?

[This message has been edited by Beyond Within (edited 07-16-2004).]
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Mozart's "Symphony No. 37 in G major, K.444 (K. 425a)". Below is something I found about this symphony from "Exploring The Myth of Mozart" by Dr. Pei-Gwen South:

"It has been noted that upon returning to Salzburg in 1769, Mozart became "increasingly receptive to the music of Michael Haydn" (Heartz 1995: 538), and that even after his move to Vienna in 1781, he "showed consistent interest" in the latter's church music (Stone 1991: 153). It thus comes as no surprise that Haydn's "strong influence" is conspicuous in many of Mozart 's Salzburg works, such as his Te Deum K.141 (66b) and the Offertory Sub tuum praesidium, "which is closely related to Haydn's Offertory in Honour of the Most Blessed Virgin" (Humphreys 1991: 86). When, in February 1773, Haydn completed his Notturno in C for string quintet with two violas, Mozart followed suit by writing his Quintet in Bb K.174 for the same combination a short time afterward. In Haydn's subsequent Notturno in G, again with two violas and dated 1 December 1773, it has been said that certain passages "could easily pass for Mozart" (Heartz 1995:540), but it is an observation that is surely more accurate the other way round given the direction of influence: that in striving to imitate and emulate his contemporary, Mozart thus sounded like Haydn. Haydn's Symphony in G, composed in May 1783, is a case in point. It has been ascertained that early in 1784, after returning to Vienna from Salzburg with the scores for Haydn's Symphony no. 17 in Eb and Symphony in G in hand, Mozart added a slow introduction to the later, and, consequently, the "entire work long passed as Mozart's Symphony no. 37" (Heartz 1995: 543)."

I even found in the book "Mozart" by Alfred Einstein that Mozart's Symphony No. 37 was composed with an "Introduction to a symphony of Michael Haydn". This is one of the 41 Mozart symphonys that I do not have a recording of along with the symphonies #16, 17, 18, 28, 30, 34, 35 and 38.

Now about Mozart's "Symphony No. 36 in C major, K. 425, the Linz symphony". I quite like it, but then I love so much of Mozart's music. Here's a bit on the Linz Symphony from the book "Mozart" by Hugh Ottaway:

"The Mozart's journey back home (from Salzburg at the end of Oct. 1783 to Vienna) was by way of Linz, where they were the guests of "old Count Thun" and the Linz Symphony (no. 36 in C-K.425) was written hurriedly for a concert at the town theatre. If there is any evidence of hurry, it is in the use of well-tried formulae for C major brightness-compare with Symphony No. 34-but such a notion is immediately countered by the freshness and vitality. This is a fully-fledged Viennese symphony-there is even a slow introduction-and contains many distinctive ideas, nearly all of which speak to us of opera buffa, or rather, of what Mozart was to make of it. The slow movement (Poco Adagio) is the most affective, and most concentrated, in any of his symphonies so far and takes us close to that of the "Prague" Symphony, written three years later."

Comment

No. 37 is included on my 19 disc set of the Complete Mozart Symphonies (there are really a lot more than 41) by The Academy of Ancient Music. They were recorded with period instruments, of course, and in my opinion, that is only way to approach these fine works. Some of the later works can be done well on modern instruments, but I think period instruemts suit these works so much better. If you are a Mozart lover, you really should consider this set. It costs about $150 but it's worth every penny. It even includes both versions of many works that were later revised by Mozart; it includes, for example, two versions of No. 41 - the original version and the revised version, with clarinets and reworked wind parts.

It does not include works, like "No. 3", which were not actually by Mozart. But since "No. 37" was given a slow introduction by Mozart, it is on the set, despite it being a work of Michael Haydn.

Since many people have probably not heard this "Symphony No. 37", I put it up for download:

http://www.gyrix.com/K444_1.mp31st Movement</a>
      http://www.gyrix.com/K444_2.mp32nd Movement</a>
      http://www.gyrix.com/K444_3.mp33rd Movement</a>

It is a fine work, and an outstanding performance. Enjoy.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 07-16-2004).]

Comment

The symphony No.37 (Composed by M.Haydn) is available on Naxos 8.550875.

Comment

Working...
        X